PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Granger is kind of unique. PC lists it as a non-aromatic, which is fair, but it does have a molasses topping, so could be an aromatic on a technicality. That was about all my dad smoked for fifty years other than King Edward cigars. It is one of a kind.

Yeah I remember you saying that about your old man. Hey, if it makes you happy then it makes you happy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I doubt the current product under other ownership is what my dad smoked, but the leaf is still sourced in Kentucky and is the same genre. When I finally got around to trying it, I bought a baggie from my local independent pipe shop owner. He has a grown son who teaches and fills in at the shop to get his dad and mom to take a trip now and then. I turned to the owner, the dad, and said, "I think my dad was right about this stuff." And he said something like, yeah, sometimes a dad is right about something. And we both had a laugh.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Why do I think that because something comes in a pouch it is likely to be better than something in a twenty dollar tin?

90% of the el-cheapo junk aromatics and drugstore blends come in a pouch (or tub). Tins have long been the domain of the premium blends. I've no idea why you'd actually prefer a pouch

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I doubt the current product under other ownership is what my dad smoked, but the leaf is still sourced in Kentucky and is the same genre. When I finally got around to trying it, I bought a baggie from my local independent pipe shop owner. He has a grown son who teaches and fills in at the shop to get his dad and mom to take a trip now and then. I turned to the owner, the dad, and said, "I think my dad was right about this stuff." And he said something like, yeah, sometimes a dad is right about something. And we both had a laugh.

Hahaha, classic. Sounds like my dad. Any accomplishment = "It's a genetic thing." and any screw-up = "You get that from your mom."

Jun 9, 2018
England
I think it's a different story this side of the pond, lots of quality tobaccos now come in pouches.
All my Warrior Plugs are in pouches
All the Germain's blends (sold in England) now come in pouches, same goes for Mac Baren.

Others:
Revor Plug
Condor
St Bruno
Walnut Flake
Mellow Virginia

Although not all of them are just pouches alone. Warrior is sealed in cellophane like Salty Dogs and the Macbarens have a sort of little plastic tray with a gold foil lid inside the pouch.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think it's a different story this side of the pond, lots of quality tobaccos now come in pouches.
All my Warrior Plugs are in pouches
All the Germain's blends (sold in England) now come in pouches, same goes for Mac Baren.

Others:
Revor Plug
Condor
St Bruno
Walnut Flake
Mellow Virginia

Although not all of them are just pouches alone. Warrior is sealed in cellophane like Salty Dogs and the Macbarens have a sort of little plastic tray with a gold foil lid inside the pouch.
Though discontinued and my supply dwindling, Erinmore Plug is another good one.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
When I was a kid, my Dad smoked Borkum Riff Whiskey. So, yes, I have a soft spot for it. It was the first tobacco I smoked. I like the latest version by Macbaren. Not all the time but, I usually have a pouch on hand. May be a problem now because the local drug store that used to carry it, eliminated it and the B&M doesn't stock it either.
Mike S.

Reactions: BROBS
Jun 9, 2018
England
Ain't makin no fashion statement...
I know it's daft but I hate pouches. Germain's used to come in lovely little tins and even father back they would have been screen printed lids (or whatever the process was called) and not paper labels, if you see what I mean. No horrible warnings plastered all over the bloody place either.
I realise it doesn't make much sense as I open then jar the contents but I love those older tins. Even though it's exactly the same tobacco inside it just feels like a nicer experience, having a lovely little tin then hearing that wonderful FFFFT sound as you open it. Breaking the seal on a Germain's pouch just isn't the same.

Reactions: rushx9

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
M slowly smoking my way thru 20 pouches of MM Country Gentleman, a pouch VaPer. It ain’t the best one I have, but I like it just fine.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.