PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
The impression I'm getting is that European market tobaccos are trending toward pouches. Interesting development.
When the Germain's tobaccos moved from tins to pouches one of the tobacconists I purchase from said it was so they could comply with the EU Tobacco Directive. I think that's what it was called anyway as I'm doing this from memory.
I don't know why this would be as Samuel Gawith has kept using tins.
Whether tins or pouches I think it's only a matter of time (in the UK anyway) before we are 'treated' to the all green packaging with horrible health warnings/pictures on them. The only way you can tell them apart is the manufacturers name and blend name in a small font, like how Mick Mcquaid is now.:(

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Family gave me a pouch of Borkum Riff Whiskey a few years ago, and I smoked it up, found it quite good. There's a reason some of these old standard blends are still around. I like Granger, Three Star Blue, SWR Aromatic, and others. Half-and-Half comes across a little harsh, but you can't like 'em all. As noted, I do miss the Granger foil pouch.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
When the Germain's tobaccos moved from tins to pouches one of the tobacconists I purchase from said it was so they could comply with the EU Tobacco Directive. I think that's what it was called anyway as I'm doing this from memory.
I don't know why this would be as Samuel Gawith has kept using tins.
Whether tins or pouches I think it's only a matter of time (in the UK anyway) before we are 'treated' to the all green packaging with horrible health warnings/pictures on them. The only way you can tell them apart is the manufacturers name and blend name in a small font, like how Mick Mcquaid is now.:(

View attachment 16173

These are so sad that they're funny.. smoking turned this guy into a sissy man. Haha i had no idea they were this crazy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ironically, as slow as I smoke up tobacco, it wouldn't cost much more to smoke only premium tin blends, and I have plenty on hand. I guess the fact that pouch and bulk blends distract me from the luxury brands impresses me in itself. Right now I'm into bowl of Haddo's and it is mighty good.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
The first time I bought tobacco online from an Australian website, it was Orlik Golden Sliced in a non-branded pouch with just a sticker with the blend name on it.

To this day I wonder if it was actually Orlik Golden Sliced that I received or something else that just looks a lot like it. There is no telling if the blend in the pouch is actually the one that you ordered.

So I generally prefer tobacco from a tin, just for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.