PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
With all the lore around meerschaum coloring, I wanted to ask a question without derailing the Coloring Progress Over Time / No Of Bowls of a Single Meerschaum Pipe thread again.

I vaguely recall reading advice on meer coloring saying something like this: "You can smoke a new Meer exclusively for about 3 weeks then let it rest for a week or two.
  1. Am I remembering properly? Is this a thing?
  2. Any thoughts on why the resting period would matter?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I think you've recalled about right but I don't agree with that process. Just smoke it.
^^ That's what I expect I'll do.

I've got 2 meers, I choose which to smoke based on whether I'm moving around or sitting. They only "rest" when the weekly activities have me choosing one more than the other (or not to smoke at all).

The luster of the idea of a "someday perfectly patinated meer" is fading. This is freedom to mepuffy.

Still I'm curious and there are "experts" here.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke meerschaums almost exclusively at home. Four to six bowls an evening for the past 50+ years. More when I'm not in the field. My meers do not rest. I've never found a reason for resting a meer. Generations ago, officers hired their subalterns to smoke their meers when they, the owner, couldn't in an effort to "color" the pipes. Also, machines were available over the years which would "smoke" one's meer(s). I am currently and regularly smoking four meers.

I've never seen a valid reason profferd by anyone as to why a meerschaum needs to be rested. Cleaned yes but, "rested"? No

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I smoke meerschaums almost exclusively at home. Four to six bowls an evening for the past 50+ years. More when I'm not in the field. My meers do not rest. I've never found a reason for resting a meer. Generations ago, officers hired their subalterns to smoke their meers when they, the owner, couldn't in an effort to "color" the pipes. Also, machines were available over the years which would "smoke" one's meer(s). I am currently and regularly smoking four meers.

I've never seen a valid reason profferd by anyone as to why a meerschaum needs to be rested. Cleaned yes but, "rested"? No
We would like to see them please.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
View attachment 152749

Since you asked. Top left is the oldest, 50+ years. Lower left is newest, 30 years old. Just started to regularly smoke it a a couple of years ago, off and on even then though. Only daily for the past five months or so.

A quick shot with the iPhone.
That is fantastic! This is how they SHOULD look! All purchased new?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Here is a heads up. There are two kinds of meer advice. One how to get them to color quicker and another on how to impede the coloration process. Can't speak on the veracity of any meer advice. Best part is both always seem to be given as rules you would certainly want to follow, instead of things that might give an intended result. This advice sounds like an attempt at keeping the outside as pristine as possible for as long as possible.
Fun fact number 2. All meer colors in it's own way. This probably has lead to more then a few pieces of worthless advice floating around as gospel. "Oh the meer I only smoked under a full moon colored so quickly, so always smoke it under a full moon."