23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Since I have been smoking this Altinay translucent meerschaum billiard exclusively for the last three weeks, I thought this would be a fantastic case study to track the progress over time and number of bowls. I will try to post one picture every week, which would mean one picture every 15 bowls.

First up - pictures from 20th May 2022, before I smoked the pipe for the first time. I did not take care of color balance/white balance.

07DB1456-9600-4E17-A4E1-529CED87BA90.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I assume it can vary quite a bit pipe to pipe. I have an Altinay with somewhere around 400 plus bowls smoked. It has a modest amount of color. No big deal, it smokes my morning blends nicely.
View attachment 150468
The carved and rusticated ones take longer but are more pronounced when they do. Even though it appears to be coloring, the only true coloring on my Kenan is here.

20220312_192035.jpg

20220611_142850.jpg

The tans and pinks are just wax discoloring from warmth and use. Those can fade over time and can be removed completely by dipping in wax or hitting it with a heat gun.

Last edited:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Looking good man! After a while it starts feeling like you're watching paint dry, doesn't it? My OCD tends to take over when I'm coloring meers. I smoke more and neglect my other pipes. Maybe I should consider medication or counseling.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looking good man! After a while it starts feeling like you're watching paint dry, doesn't it? My OCD tends to take over when I'm coloring meers. I smoke more and neglect my other pipes. Maybe I should consider medication or counseling.
Other than my Oguz Simsek pipes, I'm mostly off briar opting to smoke meerschaum while the bulk of my pipes remain unused.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Our of curiosity, what made you put down the briars?
Smoking a good quality meerschaum is something amazing...I just got me a few this year after 33 years of pipesmoking..plus experiencing the coloring of it is just interesting process..tobacco taste better and smoking is dry...I am hooked...I' ve got like 130 briars and planning to sell a lot of them and get a few more meers...

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Our of curiosity, what made you put down the briars?
I've just got a little obsession thing going on at the moment with coloring a couple meers. I love some of my briar pipes, cobs too, and I'll keep smoking them. So, I haven't sworn off anything. Maybe sometime in the near future I'll get sick and tired of smoking 2 meers almost exclusively, burn myself out on them and quit reaching for them. Knowing me, anything is possible.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I just smoked 8th bowl out of my new IMP meer and first time I can see some slight brown coloring all around the shank all the way to the bowl...mine is not translucent pipe ..
I have a ~new SRV meer with 8-10 bowls out of it. I haven't smoked it in two weeks, but today I noticed very very slight color around the heel. That color was definitely not there when I set it down last week.

I'm inclined to believe some of the orange could be coming from the inside out (before it is just black tar).