PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
If the wax you are referring to as melting is actually the amalgum used as a hard coat for the meer it shouldn't be melting. I've never had a meerschaum which had some sort of wax coating. Unless you are referring to a wax coat some smokers add so they get kind of a "dirty" brown look to their pipe. Meerschaums generally color from the stem/bottom of the bowl up as the "porous viens" (for want of a better descriptor) slowly feed the residues towards the surface.
I used the wrong words...wax is not melting just darkening

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I guess you are right...each block of meer reacts differently to the coloring process..so there may be no general answer to that..I would never be happy to buy a precolored one...it is cheating for me but somebody may not care so its fine for him....
This is my thought. I like to watch the process from the beginning. All my own hard work!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
With all the lore around meerschaum coloring, I wanted to ask a question without derailing the Coloring Progress Over Time / No Of Bowls of a Single Meerschaum Pipe thread again.

I vaguely recall reading advice on meer coloring saying something like this: "You can smoke a new Meer exclusively for about 3 weeks then let it rest for a week or two.
  1. Am I remembering properly? Is this a thing?
  2. Any thoughts on why the resting period would matter?
The reason to rest a meerschaum is to prevent the screws that hold the nylon mortise joint from becoming too wet and disintegrating. You’d cry, if that happened.

Here’s the best guide I know of about the coloring and care of meerschaum pipes, from SMS pipes:

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The reason to rest a meerschaum is to prevent the screws that hold the nylon mortise joint from becoming too wet and disintegrating. You’d cry, if that happened.

Here’s the best guide I know of about the coloring and care of meerschaum pipes, from SMS pipes:

Yes that article seems accurate to me. I left my bent billiard in a hot jeep one day out of it's case, and the stem straightened out. Boiled water solved that problem. But how often do you guys change the tenon's or mortises? Is that common? I was shocked when one of mine came with a replacement.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Oh man you are really eating up the wive's tales. The only thing that will cause damage to those threads is repeated removal of the inserts.
It might be an old meerschaum seller’s sales trick, and if so it was a good one.

For my thirtieth birthday my mother gave me a Beckler carved meerschaum that is smoldering right now on the table in front of me. It’s a large, beautiful pipe of the kind you smoke around company so they can admire your meerschaum pipe.

Mama reminded me the gift came with a lifetime inspection and replacement warranty on the nylon tenon, from the shop she bought in from in Springfield.

Well, I had to get my tenon inspected there the next time I was in Springfield and my, what a glorious operation they had operating there.

The distinguished and dapperly dressed silver haired shop owner remembered selling my mother my Beckler and pronounced the tenon in excellent condition. Behind him and in front of him were meerschaums displayed in glass cases, and while he had small ones for a hundred dollars and enormous, huge ones (like the one he had out all beautifully colored on an island that enclosed his elevated chair) for a thousand dollars, the vast majority of his meerschaums cost from $200 to $500, with more $300ish dollar pipes than all others.

He solemnly informed me, that he’d smoked his huge display so much, that a CAO rep came by with Beckler himself, and THE Beckler cautioned him to rest his pipe, and he saved it from damage just in time.

If a meerschaum was smoked too much, and the screws in the shank were water damaged, he showed me a pipe that had a repair with a sort of collet that was inserted to refresh the screw threads.

After that, he remarked my mother claimed I loved fine briar pipes, and would I like to see his collection of previously owned pipes for sale?

Which is how I started accumulating pre war large ball four hole stinger Kaywoodies, Stanwells, Baris, Comoy’s, etc. I also bought several lower grade Italian pipes from him new.

I suppose a meerschaum might be smoked until it was so soggy the tenon screw disintegrated, but the average owner of a big meerschaum babies his expensive bauble and wouldn’t do that anyway.

What free inspection and replacement policies for the nylon tenon did, was get customers coming back to the shop,

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
It might be an old meerschaum seller’s sales trick, and if so it was a good one.

For my thirtieth birthday my mother gave me a Beckler carved meerschaum that is smoldering right now on the table in front of me. It’s a large, beautiful pipe of the kind you smoke around company so they can admire your meerschaum pipe.

Mama reminded me the gift came with a lifetime inspection and replacement warranty on the nylon tenon, from the shop she bought in from in Springfield.

Well, I had to get my tenon inspected there the next time I was in Springfield and my, what a glorious operation they had operating there.

The distinguished and dapperly dressed silver haired shop owner remembered selling my mother my Beckler and pronounced the tenon in excellent condition. Behind him and in front of him were meerschaums displayed in glass cases, and while he had small ones for a hundred dollars and enormous, huge ones (like the one he had out all beautifully colored on an island that enclosed his elevated chair) for a thousand dollars, the vast majority of his meerschaums cost from $200 to $500, with more $300ish dollar pipes than all others.

He solemnly informed me, that he’d smoked his huge display so much, that a CAO rep came by with Beckler himself, and THE Beckler cautioned him to rest his pipe, and he saved it from damage just in time.

If a meerschaum was smoked too much, and the screws in the shank were water damaged, he showed me a pipe that had a repair with a sort of collet that was inserted to refresh the screw threads.

After that, he remarked my mother claimed I loved fine briar pipes, and would I like to see his collection of previously owned pipes for sale?

Which is how I started accumulating pre war large ball four hole stinger Kaywoodies, Stanwells, Baris, Comoy’s, etc. I also bought several lower grade Italian pipes from him new.

I suppose a meerschaum might be smoked until it was so soggy the tenon screw disintegrated, but the average owner of a big meerschaum babies his expensive bauble and wouldn’t do that anyway.

What free inspection and replacement policies for the nylon tenon did, was get customers coming back to the shop,
Lee,may I ask you how old exactly is your CAO Bekler pipe and did he signed his name on the pipe at that time?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Lee,may I ask you how old exactly is your CAO Bekler pipe and did he signed his name on the pipe at that time?
BC4E0659-0C5D-475B-8499-1FDC5E020165.jpeg
I turned 30 in April 1988.

That store in Springfield closed about the early 2000s. I must have only visited about once or twice a year during the 90s.

The owner was distressed over the cigar boom. He had to build a humidor. The same women that would spend hundreds on a fine meerschaum got angry when they discovered their husbands were spending over a hundred dollars for a box of smelly, nasty cigars. His meerschaum pipe sales dwindled down, until finally the shop was gone

There must have been a huge mark up in meerschaum pipes, once upon a time.

But I’d guess the lions share of his customers were women buying them as gifts. Pipes and pipe tobacco pleased the ladies, while stogies stunk up their homes.

Last edited:

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
View attachment 153602
I turned 30 in April 1988.

That store in Springfield closed about the early 2000s. I must have only visited about once or twice a year during the 90s.

The owner was distressed over the cigar boom. He had to build a humidor. The same women that would spend hundreds on a fine meerschaum got angry when they discovered their husbands were spending over a hundred dollars for a box of smelly, nasty cigars. His meerschaum pipe sales dwindled down, until finally the shop was gone

There must have been a huge mark up in meerschaum pipes, once upon a time.
Cool story..Thanks for posting it!!!i am just trying to date my Bekler so this info is helpful..

Reactions: OldVark

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Here it is:

A sample 'Coloring' regimen:
Smoke your meerschaum several times a day for about two weeks. ...[TRUNCATED]... Now put your pipe aside for a period of about one month. During this rest, the beeswax will wick the tars and oils towards the surface of the meerschaum, bringing about the beginnings of a warm, smoky color with them. Repeat and enjoy!

Anything to this?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Here it is:

Anything to this?
maybe mine is coloring quite quickly. And I tend to smoke it a bit for a while then ignore it for a long time. And I really don't smoke that sucker all that often. Honestly it's my least favorite pipe. Mainly because it just doesn't weigh enough and that tactile aspect is apparently more important to me then I would have figured.

Reactions: aspiring_sage