SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dremel really will screw up the bottom of a bowl with that mounting screw. A reaming tool or fine sandpaper is really the only way to go for the bottom of the bowl which is where the OP says his problem is located.
not if you extend the sanding drum above the screw - that's what I did - but you do need to be ginger with it - like i said. That said if I had a pipe reamer that's what I would have used but it worked for me. The bottom dead center on mine was not caked however

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wow, Harris, I knew you were long in the tooth, but that is extraordinary!

On a different note, have you experienced having too much cake in the heel? I haven't, and I smoke to the bottom frequently.
Ok, not 200, maybe 100 years. I don't pay attention to the heel, I just know when it needs a reaming as I lose space and my flakes don't fit like they are supposed to.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
What is the most effective way to remove cake that has built up on the bottom of a bowl?

My old Butners reamer did an alright job of the sides, but I can't quite get it to remove the bottom stuff.

Small screwdriver? Small knife? Sharpen the edges of the reamer? Any help is appreciated ?
I found 2 tools that really work. One is the Pipnet reamer set and the other is called “Low Country” pipe knife (or tool?). The Pipnet is pricey but has a handle and 4 interchangeable reamers. They’re different diameters and have a rounded end that goes right to the bottom. The Low Country helps dig out real gunky stuff. Both available from smokingpipes.com.

My narrow, tall stacked pipes, all cake over on the heal, so much that it blocks the draft. Actually, as I check them, most of my pipes could use some scraping off on their bottoms of the bowls. I think that smoking slow just produces more cake than choo choo-ing it.

I just use one of the blades on my pocketknife that has the rounded off end.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
They are quite old, but with little use.

Mine holds its shape only when it is expanded to the walls. If I place it in the narrowest position, it will reach the bottom of most of my pipes, and turning with slight pressure expands the blades to the walls.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
not if you extend the sanding drum above the screw - that's what I did - but you do need to be ginger with it - like i said. That said if I had a pipe reamer that's what I would have used but it worked for me. The bottom dead center on mine was not caked however
I have been using this your method on occasion , with no ill effects, but yes, extreme care and slowest speed are a must

Reactions: jpmcwjr

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Popsicle stick. Period. Full stop. @georged taught me that trick and it is brilliant. The balsa wood is softer than briar and it will not scratch or gouge the bowl or get it out round. They are rounded at the ends and it works great for getting at the bottom of the bowl. It is like a secret ninja trick for reaming. Amazon has them for a few bucks. Just do it and laugh that you never thought of such an easy solution.

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
Define "excess". A good amount is considered "good" unless it's blocking windage, right?

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
  • Love
Reactions: Chasing Embers