PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What is the most effective way to remove cake that has built up on the bottom of a bowl?

My old Butners reamer did an alright job of the sides, but I can't quite get it to remove the bottom stuff.

Small screwdriver? Small knife? Sharpen the edges of the reamer? Any help is appreciated ?

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can't get a decent picture of down there

I use my Bottom of the Bowl Decarbolizer 600
That's a good idea. The pipe tool didn't work for me.

Sheesh, most people complain that they can't get cake to form down there! And by the estates I've purchased through the years I believe them!
I was gifted a Barling that I'm cleaning up that hasn't been cleaned in many years. I'm trying to remove as much of the cake as I can.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have always used a Senior Reamer. It gets to the bottom and the adjustment is easy to work. Been using mine for over 200 years. Stays sharp and it is kind of idiot proof which works well for me.
Wow, Harris, I knew you were long in the tooth, but that is extraordinary!

On a different note, have you experienced having too much cake in the heel? I haven't, and I smoke to the bottom frequently.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have always used a Senior Reamer. It gets to the bottom and the adjustment is easy to work. Been using mine for over 200 years. Stays sharp and it is kind of idiot proof which works well for me.
Wow, Harris, I knew you were long in the tooth, but that is extraordinary!
Explains a lot, don't it?