PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve never had bite issues with Virginias, but every now and again I will go through a brief period where the Virginias I smoke are just kinda lame. Harsh, bitter and acrid, and just missing that magic bready malty sweetness I like them so much for. I’ve started to recognize it better when it happens every 8 months or so, so now I switch to burleys or Aros for a week or two. Usually the next Virginia I smoke is back in magic territory. It’s actually happening right now, even with this inept self-blended VaPer. That second half of the bowl cooked sweetness is back

Keweenaw

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020
Michigan
The key for me is drying and packing as loose as possible, along with a slow sipping. Tamp only when you need to avoid having to relight. In my experience, the hottest the smoke gets is on relights. A well behaved tobacco is a bonus. The more notes you take about preparation and details of the smoke, the better off you will be. After a while the routine becomes second nature.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Like @Rook, this is exactly the boat I am in with most Virginias - excepting D&R Windsail, which smokes perfectly for me; thank you @jiminks - which leaves me in a position where I otherwise can't touch a straight Virginia or a typical straight Virginia blend - say for example, something like C&D Yorktown - without feeling like I need to be so careful as to how I smoke, that for me, it's like walking down a steep, ice-covered driveway while wearing leather-soled shoes and inflatable vinyl kiddie water-wings; in the event of mishap.

So for me, the question would be: What is the intrinsic difference between these two Virginia blends; for difference revealed therein would point to the suspect or suspects. - Sherm Natman

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
The key for me is drying and packing as loose as possible, along with a slow sipping. Tamp only when you need to avoid having to relight. In my experience, the hottest the smoke gets is on relights. A well behaved tobacco is a bonus. The more notes you take about preparation and details of the smoke, the better off you will be. After a while the routine becomes second nature.
This is exactly what I do. Seems to work just fine this way.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
FVF in particular used to just pleasantly tingle my tongue, but that tingling has grown to an irritation in most of the mouth, quite similar to the effect of eating too much pineapple.
Is this with FVF that you've had cellared for awhile or is this from the last drop? People I've been chatting with are saying blends were different with the last drop and that one of those blends mentioned was FVF.

Since K&K started altering blends to sub out pricier leaf used with some of the HU and Rattray's blends it seems like other blenders may be doing the same. Most smokers won't notice the difference. But some of these boys, who have been smoking these blends for decades, are beginning to look at the latest arrivals and have been saying, "WTF?"

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Like @Rook, this is exactly the boat I am in with most Virginias - excepting D&R Windsail, which smokes perfectly for me; thank you @jiminks - which leaves me in a position where I otherwise can't touch a straight Virginia or a typical straight Virginia blend - say for example, something like C&D Yorktown - without feeling like I need to be so careful as to how I smoke, that for me, it's like walking down a steep, ice-covered driveway while wearing leather-soled shoes and inflatable vinyl kiddie water-wings; in the event of mishap.

So for me, the question would be: What is the intrinsic difference between these two Virginia blends; for difference revealed therein would point to the suspect or suspects. - Sherm Natman
Well you mention a C&D Virginia which is near lowest rung

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is this with FVF that you've had cellared for awhile or is this from the last drop? People I've been chatting with are saying blends were different with the last drop and that one of those blends mentioned was FVF.

Since K&K started altering blends to sub out pricier leaf used with some of the HU and Rattray's blends it seems like other blenders may be doing the same. Most smokers won't notice the difference. But some of these boys, who have been smoking these blends for decades, are beginning to look at the latest arrivals and have been saying, "WTF?"
I think most is that the tobacco is so fresh. You can’t even compare any of these products fresh to something with 2 years of age. I don’t trust a lot of these codger memories past a year or two.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think most is that the tobacco is so fresh. You can’t even compare any of these products fresh to something with 2 years of age. I don’t trust a lot of these codger memories past a year or two.
I personally can't speak to the Gawith question as I haven't smoked any recent supply. Your comment regarding aging is a fair point, but I not sure how much aging for a couple of years affects Virginia sting. I've had Virginia blends jarred for a decade that still had plenty of sting.
The K&K changes have been independently corroborated. Costs go up. The customer doesn't want to pay for it, so quality goes down. The customer, largely, doesn't care, or notice.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I seem to have developed some kind of sensitivity to some virginias.
FVF in particular used to just pleasantly tingle my tongue, but that tingling has grown to an irritation in most of the mouth, quite similar to the effect of eating too much pineapple.
I found this to be happening during the first half or so of the smoke, and after that it sort of settled down and became its pleasant self again.
This led to me thinking that a DGT approach might be beneficial.
I've tried that a couple of times now, and it works. A thorough charring light in the evening, and the rested tobacco smokes just fine the day after. So far anyway.
Yup, I find that with certain tobaccos, they are better after a resting period.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I notice the same thing. Not all Virginias - just some. I picked up one of the weed grinders to sjred into smaller, more even sized ribbons / chunks. Worked wonders!
Interesting, I might have to try that. Not that I just have one laying around or anything. ?? But on a serious note, the G&H #20 can be a but of a pain to pack with how long the ribbons are.

Reactions: BROBS

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I’ve read that some people have an allergic reaction to reds, but I don’t know if this is just speculation of fact? I am slowly reintroducing myself to reds in the hope that I can overcome the curse. I sure wish now that I hadn’t thrown away the half pound of 5100 that I bought years ago.
Small orders, at least with new tobaccos. I've also learned the hard way ?