Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
I second 1792 Flake. You mention the black rope but have you tried the brown ropes? I like Brown Bogie. Also give McConnell’s Latakia Flake and/or Commodore Flake a try. I think Condor is pretty darn stout too. A lot of times the strong blends are really smooth.
1792 Is on my list! Thanks guys, haven't found any in stock anywhere yet, but I have signed up for plenty of "back in-stock" notifications & alerts.

Yes I currently have both GH Brown Bogie, and SG Black XX at home right now. Last month I did a head-to-head comparison, and I found Black XX to be much less harsh. It's actually surprisingly mellow. I found it to be buttery smooth, with little, to no discomfort upon retrohaling. I assume this is because of the difference in methods of processing the rope.

I will certainly begin some research on the other three you mentioned, and we'll see where I might like to spend my money first.

Reactions: hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
1792 Is on my list! Thanks guys, haven't found any in stock anywhere yet, but I have signed up for plenty of "back in-stock" notifications & alerts.

Yes I currently have both GH Brown Bogie, and SG Black XX at home right now. Last month I did a head-to-head comparison, and I found Black XX to be much less harsh. It's actually surprisingly mellow. I found it to be buttery smooth, with little, to no discomfort upon retrohaling. I assume this is because of the difference in methods of processing the rope.

I will certainly begin some research on the other three you mentioned, and we'll see where I might like to spend my money first.
Just know that unfortunately you can’t get Condor in the States, it’s really expensive to order it from abroad these days too and a lot of people feel like it’s not what it used to be. I wouldn’t recommend getting any right now if you are a new pipe smoker but if you do get a taste for some old world tobaccos, Condor is certainly worth trying.

Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark is also really amazing stuff, I’m not sure if it’s still sold or not but it’s 1792 without the Tonkin. The Tonkin flavoring makes 1792 such a different beast it’s worth trying both, I have both cellared deep.

Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
Thank you everyone!

Also, I think it would be helpful for me to describe what I mean by harshness:

What I mean is a scorching discomfort in the sinuses/nose upon contact during retrohale. Very similar to horseradish, or wasabi. I retrohale a lot, so this sensation can make enjoying a smoke somewhat difficult to manage.

Because of their harshness, I've had negative experiences with both Five Brothers, and War Horse Bar. However, SG Black XX doesn't seem to bother me in this manner at all, not one bit.

Reactions: chopper
Harshness means more than just bitey. Nicotine itself burns in the throat a bit, not so much the tongue. I find everything mentioned to have a touch of throat harshness to them. Throat as in the back of the mouth, not from inhaling, but just from being in the mouth. Hard to explain. But, This is what I love about heavy hitters. So, I just can't think of anything that fits his needs.

Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
I saw your thread title and I instantly thought, Crooner. So I laughed when you mentioned Crooner. — one of the few blends that I can feel anything from and yes it’s tasty and smooth.
I totally agree! It's quite smooth for how much Lady Nic is there. :) It's a go-to when I want to deeply satisfy that craving without blowing my head off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grangerous

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Harshness means more than just bitey. Nicotine itself burns in the throat a bit, not so much the tongue. I find everything mentioned to have a touch of throat harshness to them. Throat as in the back of the mouth, not from inhaling, but just from being in the mouth. Hard to explain. But, This is what I love about heavy hitters. So, I just can't think of anything that fits his needs.
yeah then you get my confusion. Well in this specific case at least. Generally I find that the heavy nic blends are less bite prone but often have certain rough edges. Then again I find that pipe tobacco is rarely what I would call harsh in general. Interestingly latakia gets me in the throat and back of the mouth not in a ouch but in an odd way. Actually gives it a light anesthetic effect like certain herbs (kava is the most obvious but many others do as well.).

Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
FYI here’s a really good related thread! I very much “get” what the OP means below if that makes any sense.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I usually find that “stout” blends, full of nicotine, tend to be smooth & supple when puffed properly. I can’t recall a recent harsh event with Condor, 1792, GH Dark Plug/Flake, or my beloved Haunted Bookshop. If sipped in a relaxing fashion, the nicotine will slowly pour over you like a warm ?. It’s almost to the effect that you almost don’t notice it. These blends, at least for me, aren’t to be ?ed. I suppose if I inhaled the stuff I’d be in ?‍? land, but that rarely ever occurs. ?☕