PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Try the mighty War Horse (Red and Green), mate.
Those are the definition of harsh in my opinion. I think that they are not well rounded and poorly blended… no offense. I’m amazed Russ had a hand in them honestly because I do like most of the blends I’ve tried from him. These new War Horse Bars are nothing like the original but even on it’s own merits I think it’s a very poor effort to emulate an old English style pipe tobacco, I’d much rather smoke the real thing. The new War Horse blends have a fan base though, so there are people that like them obviously. The OP had mentioned that this blend was harsh for him too. I think the word harsh has different meanings to us though, it’s not necessarily a bad thing to me but I think it has negative connotations.

- Disclaimer, the statement above is just my opinion, is totally meaningless and was not intended to upset anyone. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. My take is probably from shear disappointment, Green was touted as a Condor replacement for a long time before it was released so I was greatly disappointed when I first took a whiff of the aroma coming from my mailbox when first delivered (I got them from P&C so the tins opened up in the box and yes I could smell it from the garage).

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Those are the definition of harsh in my opinion. I think that they are not well rounded and poorly blended… no offense. I’m amazed Russ had a hand in them honestly because I do like most of the blends I’ve tried from him. These new War Horse Bars are nothing like the original but even on it’s own merits I think it’s a very poor effort to emulate an old English style pipe tobacco, I’d much rather smoke the real thing. The new War Horse blends have a fan base though, so there are people that like them obviously. The OP had mentioned that this blend was harsh for him too. I think the word harsh has different meanings to us though, it’s not necessarily a bad thing to me but I think it has negative connotations.

- Disclaimer, the statement above is just my opinion, is totally meaningless and was not intended to upset anyone. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. My take is probably from shear disappointment, Green was touted as a Condor replacement for a long time before it was released so I was greatly disappointed when I first took a whiff of the aroma coming from my mailbox when first delivered (I got them from P&C so the tins opened up in the box and yes I could smell it from the garage).
Indeed, I did miss the OP's verdict about WH.
Personally, I'm not fond of it and agree with your opinion. But it has its fans as you pointed out and when people ask for high nicotine blends, well, the Horse is definitively in that category. It does pack a wallop!

Reactions: hawky454
Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
Now that I think of it, another blend I should mention in this category is definitely Peretti No.8 Slice. I picked up this particular blend at Peretti’s on a business trip to Boston a few months back. For how mellow, sweet, and smooth it is, I couldn’t believe how much nicotine was still there to be had.

It’s not so much that I’m looking for the strongest nicotine blends out there, I’m just noticing that there tends to be some blends that have higher nicotine that are surprisingly tame in harshness, as well as some very mellow blends that have a surprising amount of nicotine, and visa versa.

Think of it as a ratio, nicotine content over harshness, or smoothness over nicotine content. I’m looking for lower values of harshness when stacked against higher values of nicotine. It’s all a spectrum, and yes it has it’s subjectivity. Some blends may seem more harsh to some than others.

Last edited:

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
I saw your thread title and I instantly thought, Crooner. So I laughed when you mentioned Crooner. — one of the few blends that I can feel anything from and yes it’s tasty and smooth.
I wonder if I got a weird batch of it. I like the stuff a lot, enough that I'm going to order more, but it arrived dry as dust and I cannot retrohale it at all because of the harshness. I ordered 2oz bulk from 4noggins, idk if that matters. Is it smoother from a tin?

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I wonder if I got a weird batch of it. I like the stuff a lot, enough that I'm going to order more, but it arrived dry as dust and I cannot retrohale it at all because of the harshness. I ordered 2oz bulk from 4noggins, idk if that matters. Is it smoother from a tin?
You can try rehydrating a little or pack super tight if it is bone dry. C&D blends used to come very dry because Craig’s philosophy was that you shouldn’t be paying for water. The tin might be slightly moister. More recent C&D blends tend to be more conventional in their moisture content. I’m not sure where the current standard is on their legacy blends.

Reactions: PoplarWight

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA

C&D Burley can have a rough edge. It mellows or you become used to it either one. Sometimes smooth as can be. I retro all the time. It’s cube cut burley, Crooner. It does come a bit drier than some others.

On edit. I’ve only had the tins of Crooner. I plan to jar a couple of pounds. I enjoy it also.

Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
I’m actually quite interested in all of you out there who are suggesting Semois for its buttery smoothness. I see there is a variety of Tabac Manil in stock at smokingpipes. All I know is that this is a unique, European Burley, but I know nothing else. Could someone describe/share their experiences with this particular varietal? I’d love to know more!

Reactions: ofafeather
Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
Votes so far:

1792 - 4
Semois - 3
Condor - 3
Dark Birds Eye - 2
Pegasus - 2
Irish Flake - 2
Royal Yacht - 2
War Horse Green - 2