PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Give Stanwell Melange a try. First couple bowls I did not dry enough- they smoked too hot and the flavor got lost. Yesterday I had a bowl that had been loaded 2 days earlier and it was excellent.

Reactions: Charlie718

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
My aromatic preferences

1. Gawith Hoggarth Dark Flake Aromatic (Lots of Lakeland Aromatic favorites, but I listed the best)
2. Erinmore Flake
3. Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut
4. Pick any European Aromatic like Exotic Passion - Then add some Macbaren Rustica (60% Rustica, 40% European Aromatic)
GH dark flake aromatic,he did say he likes Dark fired leaf and if an ex cigar smoker it will have enough strength

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Imagine a margarita without the lime.

A chocolate cake with out the chocolate.

Ice cream sundae without any toppings.

Pipe tobacco without aromatic choices would be like having a home without a front yard or a porch without chairs.

Shamelessly mocking aromatics!

Why?

But like my son, enjoy your hamburger or hotdog without any condiments and be sure to remind us how much you enjoy the purity of the beef or the saltiness of the hotdog's by products.

Because as a purist, it's all about the .....

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
People like what they like. Aromatics range from blends that have the flavor sophistication of bubble gum to the exquisite. Taste buds vary. Borkum Riff vs PS Cube Cut. What’s the point of denigrating the aromatic smokers. Sure, some of it is just humor, but to each his own. Rant over.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
-An aromatic now and then is an interesting change of pace for me. I've tried a few over the last 7 yrs I've been doing this and since I really don't buy tins anymore, I've brought in some decent quality Lane's aros to have to either smoke as they are or add in to some of my mixes.
I have Black Vanilla Cav, and Dark Red. I like them both, but prefer the dark red, which does have some cherry notes.
One I will likely never try again, unless it's a last resort, will be the venerable Captain Black.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I never got the whole purist BS. I feel if you just develope a taste for black coffee, liquor, or whatever then your not a purist just someone who’s tastes have changed. I know I used to take coffee with my cream and sugar but over the years that’s changed. Which is kinda why I want to try Aro’s and English blends, I’ve tried MM965 and didn’t care for it but I’ve noticed I’ve been in a Va, VaPer, and DF rut and wanna break out of that and try new blends, maybe my taste will change the more I try them?

Jun 9, 2018
England
Although it's classed as a Lakeland, Ennerdale Flake is a great aromatic.

To me it tastes like a mixture of almonds, flowers and fruity sherbet. To others it's more akin to an elderly lady with too much perfume and a urinal cake in her hand has climbed inside your mouth.
Potato, potahto.

I tried it early on and fell in love with the stuff❤️.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I’m half-way through my first bowl of flavored / aro (Capt Black Cherry) and no tongue bite. Plenty of flavor kinda like a cheap 7-11 cherry Danish lol. I don’t taste any tobac no matter how I smoke it but I expected that from this blend. I don’t smell any cherry flavor unless I retro hale so I guess this is more of a flavored then an Aro lmao.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I’m half-way through my first bowl of flavored / aro (Capt Black Cherry) and no tongue bite. Plenty of flavor kinda like a cheap 7-11 cherry Danish lol. I don’t taste any tobac no matter how I smoke it but I expected that from this blend. I don’t smell any cherry flavor unless I retro hale so I guess this is more of a flavored then an Aro lmao.
I found CBC to be just too much cherry. Not tasting the tobacco isn't anomalous in the slightest. I had the same issue, and I've heard the same criticism from others. Russ Ouelette made a blend for P&C called Nation's Capital. I'm not sure if it's still in production, but I found it to be the perfect ratio of cherry flavor to tobacco flavor. Lots of folks on here like Cult BRM; I'd probably put that just a step behind NC, and give the bronze to Bjarne Viking Erik the Red. Cherry aros are hit and miss, but like anything else, you just have to try a bunch of them and reassess. My general disappointment with overly goopy aros led me to try straight VAs, which is my current favorite blend type, so you can sometimes glean some benefits out of a sub-par smoking experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.