Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
“You wanna poke and not get poked back?”

I don’t mind a good poke. Poke away.

But allow me to offer up a valid analogy. A master distiller will take 10 or more years at his craft, getting a ? from cask to perfect drinkability... only to have someone pour Coca Cola into it. That’s an aromatic.

Look. It’s your drink. You paid for it, do whatever you like.

If you want to smoke a pot pouri of artificial sauces and feel it doesn’t sublimate the tobacco..... go ahead.
Nice analogy, but does it really work?

A lot of the flavoured tobacco is basically bog standard, dirt cheap cavendish with little inherent taste - that'd be unaged moonshine with some fruit juice thrown in to be drinkable.
Some flavoured tobaccos are very high quality indeed, like the Lakelands, I'd say the equivalent would be making a high quality cocktail.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But allow me to offer up a valid analogy. A master distiller will take 10 or more years at his craft, getting a ? from cask to perfect drinkability... only to have someone pour Coca Cola into it. That’s an aromatic.
The aromatic was blended that way to begin with not taking a pre existing blend and altering it., but by your own description Granger is an aromatic.

Aromatics very few, aside from the heated air that is Captain Black Regular and Royal. My only OTC forays into the genre.

One fateful day I was introduced to GRANGER and a voice from the heavens cried out as angels sang and tears of joy enveloped me. Finally, a tobacco that I could actually taste! Creamy, Nutty Burley Goodness but with something else... is that Blueberry? Indeed! In both tin note and taste I get hints of Blueberry and Chocolate and Nuts! I’m hooked!

Granger - Nuts and Berries.

Aromatic sales have been keeping the pipe tobacco boat afloat for years.

Mar 1, 2014
“Is it really so different from just throwing some juice in your glass?”

Yes.

Sherry casking is like adding Perique to a Virginia. The latter are pure tobaccos; the former pure spirits. Going further, a blender using new charred oak may equate to dark fired or Latakia.

Aromatics are closer to sugary, artificially flavored syrupy liquors. The spirit is in there somewhere just like the tobacco is under all the goop.

Guys. It’s just my opinion. I strongly dislike Aros. I dislike flavored coffee creamer or sugary soft drinks mixed 80/20 with a sipping spirit.

Didn’t mean to start tobacco war III. ??. Light em up.
Technically Latakia is just another Aromatic.
The Whiskey equivalent is Peat.
The only reason people don't associate Peat with mixers is mixing drinks seems too easy compared to smoking the malt, but they're both artificial flavorings all the same.
People care that the product is the result of effort, that's it.
There are mixed drinks that command a high price, and there are Aromatics that are no less a Premium Blend than the finest English.

Reactions: anotherbob

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Technically Latakia is just another Aromatic.
The Whiskey equivalent is Peat.
The only reason people don't associate Peat with mixers is mixing drinks seems too easy compared to smoking the malt, but they're both artificial flavorings all the same.
That's a great analogy - personally I prefer the term "flavoured" to aromatic, but this may be because "aromatic" means "fragrant" in my language (Greek), and over here we call our local "Oriental/Turkish/Greek" leaf as "aromatic".

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's a great analogy - personally I prefer the term "flavoured" to aromatic, but this may be because "aromatic" means "fragrant" in my language (Greek), and over here we call our local "Oriental/Turkish/Greek" leaf as "aromatic".
A few decades ago, latakia and Orientals were widely called aromatic tobaccos and vanilla, chocolate, etc. blends were called flavored. I still tend to call those flavored.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
I primarily smoke aromatics, Top picks : Dan Tobac (DTM) Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, Milonga, Devil's Holiday, Blue note. Peterson, Sunset Breeze, De Luxe Mixture, Connosiure Choice. Rattray's Exotic Passion.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I really recommend Devil's Holiday and Milonga by Dan tobacco. High quality tobacco, strong flavor and not a goopy mess. Less enthusiastic about exotic passion by Rattray as i found it very cloying. I also would suggest Amphora full aroma which is mildly aromatic with good flavor and a touch of sweetness.

Reactions: Charlie718

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
“Is it really so different from just throwing some juice in your glass?”

Yes.

Sherry casking is like adding Perique to a Virginia. The latter are pure tobaccos; the former pure spirits. Going further, a blender using new charred oak may equate to dark fired or Latakia.

Aromatics are closer to sugary, artificially flavored syrupy liquors. The spirit is in there somewhere just like the tobacco is under all the goop.

Guys. It’s just my opinion. I strongly dislike Aros. I dislike flavored coffee creamer or sugary soft drinks mixed 80/20 with a sipping spirit.

Didn’t mean to start tobacco war III. ??. Light em up.
I believe problems arise when someone innocently asks for recommendations for an aromatic blend and someone else ignores the question and decides to debate the worth of the question by offering up feminine hygiene products as a way of being snide.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Butternut burley is an all day smoke that isn't goopy...just tough to find..P&C blends it and they have been out for several months now.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
In addition to the Devil's Holiday I also enjoy the following:

Dan Tobacco: Sweet Vanilla Honeydew - Simple, sweet, and relaxing.

Capstan: Gold Flake - Excellent quality VA with great sweetness and a nice fruitiness without the fruitiness being overwhelming.

Rattray's: Exotic Passion - This has a lot of stuff going on and you can pick up on the different flavor components. Has maple which is noticeable.

Aylesbury: Dragon Flake - Fairly simple blend but heavy on the maple syrup if you like that sort of thing.

Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.: American Delight - Nice mild blend with a sweet candy bar note. One of my fave's for it's gentleness and relaxability.

Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.: Bob's Chocolate Flake - I consider it the king of aromatics and apparently so do others since it's often out of stock. It could be a Lakeland "gateway" blend if you've never had one. Just fantastic stuff.

2 more that may, or may not, be considered aromatics depending on what one considers an aromatic:

Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.: Scotch Flake - Has a nice chocolate flavor added.

Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.: Louisiana Flake - Very strong Perique which is fantastically raisin/plum on the retrohale and a chocolate flavor added.

2 more that are great blends in their category but with a great rum component:

Dan Tobacco: Salty Dogs - Great VaPer with rum.

Cornell & Diehl: Black Frigate - Listed as "Other" blend but almost English-like with a fantastic level of rum.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I believe problems arise when someone innocently asks for recommendations for an aromatic blend and someone else ignores the question and decides to debate the worth of the question by offering up feminine hygiene products as a way of being snide.
I think you’re 100 percent correct. I do apologize.

Reactions: Reggie

pip01

Apr 3, 2018
NJ
I suggest Rattray Exotic Passion and Sutliff Creme Brulee. for something totally unique try GH Ennerdale Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.