PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 1, 2014
“You wanna poke and not get poked back?”

I don’t mind a good poke. Poke away.

But allow me to offer up a valid analogy. A master distiller will take 10 or more years at his craft, getting a ? from cask to perfect drinkability... only to have someone pour Coca Cola into it. That’s an aromatic.

Look. It’s your drink. You paid for it, do whatever you like.

If you want to smoke a pot pouri of artificial sauces and feel it doesn’t sublimate the tobacco..... go ahead.
It's kind of ironic that Sherry Casks are so popular with the Whiskey Blenders these days.
Is it really so different from just throwing some juice in your glass?

Of course the topping on 1-Q and Molto Dolce is much more egregious than blending in a Sherry Cask, but I don't think there's much skill required to blend Black Cavendish with Burly.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Boswell’s Christmas Cookie.... the definitive Aro
I also like Boswell’s Apple Streudel on occasion.
Strauss Sleepy Hollow (can’t order til it’s in season, normally Sept, though last year they took orders early in Aug)
RLP-6 or 1Q.... both popular Lane bulk.
And though I didn’t smoke them regularly, the samples I got of the battlefield blends from P&C were good, Gettysburg (Peach), Waterloo (Vanilla if I remember correctly), Bull Run (? Can’t recall what that was maybe Cherry)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Wilke’s Rum & Maple is pretty awesome. You’ll be sniffing your own mustache the rest of the day. Their #191 is another great one. Wilke’s aros are my favorite “full-blown aromatics” so far. Dan Tobacco Blue Note is quite good, too.
I really enjoy “semi-aromatics,” or “tobacco-forward” aromatics, too. C&D Visions of Celephais and Dreams of Kadath are great, but I really like Kentucky tobacco, and not everyone does. I’m working on a nicely aged tin of GLP Stonehenge that is flat-out amazing, if you’re ok with a Lakeland style tobacco. Erinmore is a classic mixed fruit “semi-aromatic” that is excellent.
yeah Erinmore is awesome. Basically if you ever thought that they should make a juicy fruit pipe tobacco then you need to try it because that's basically what it is but much better too.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I'll state my bias up front and admit that I will not recommend a cavendish-dominant blend from the personal belief that it will not allow the appreciation of typical tobacco-varietal-flavors to at least have the chance to occur.

My top choice would be something Gawith Hoggarth. I know alot of folks believe Lakelands to be something else entirely. Yes they can be less friendly than say, a Lane BCA-type blend, but the quality and flavor of the underlying tobacco is fantastic.

Other than that:
-Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic
-Match Flying Dutchman
-H&H Chatham Manor
-SG Kendal Cream Flake and Firedance Flake
-Any of the Rum blends of your choice/preference

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
It's kind of ironic that Sherry Casks are so popular with the Whiskey Blenders these days.
Is it really so different from just throwing some juice in your glass?

Of course the topping on 1-Q and Molto Dolce is much more egregious than blending in a Sherry Cask, but I don't think there's much skill required to blend Black Cavendish with Burly.
“Is it really so different from just throwing some juice in your glass?”

Yes.

Sherry casking is like adding Perique to a Virginia. The latter are pure tobaccos; the former pure spirits. Going further, a blender using new charred oak may equate to dark fired or Latakia.

Aromatics are closer to sugary, artificially flavored syrupy liquors. The spirit is in there somewhere just like the tobacco is under all the goop.

Guys. It’s just my opinion. I strongly dislike Aros. I dislike flavored coffee creamer or sugary soft drinks mixed 80/20 with a sipping spirit.

Didn’t mean to start tobacco war III. ??. Light em up.

Reactions: Charlie718
Status
Not open for further replies.