PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Between 3 arriving orders I have 45 <new to me> tins coming because I'm actively working on accumulating and trying many blends. These will be added to the 55 or so <new to me> tins on my shelves waiting for my taste buds to evaluate. When I find something that seems to be especially pleasant, easy to smoke and I think I would truly enjoy more in the future, I order a few more here and there, and they may end up being "cellared" and enjoyed with additional age.

Additionally, I'm getting my first 1# bag - of "Best of the Rest" English since it seemed like it would be fun. English is my preferred blend overall right now and the reviews seemed like the variability that will likely occur from that single bag will be similar to smoking slightly different tinned English blends. Something I do regularly.

I may take a couple of years to try all the various blends I'm accumulating but that's OK with me. What I seem to be finding right now is that I like tobacco. Lots of different blends of tobacco.

Some not every day, some perhaps with different seasons, and some will like certain pipes or shapes better than others; but overall, I'm not really finding blends that I don't like. I'm finding blends that I like at different times.

I have no idea if this is common among those of us in the hobby for under 5 years, but it seems fine by me. I also feel fortunate to have found some blends that are delicious, and if I could only purchase from the 20-25 or so that I've tried, I would still have smoking pleasure but I wouldn't have the thrill of exploration.

I am however, actively avoiding "aromatics" for the most part. I might have 3 tins in the mix here or there.

Cheers

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
This looks like mylar allready, are these airtight sealed? I'm planning on buying a kilo in tins next month, I can get another 250 gram bag for the price difference.
I am going for long term storage (30-40+ years) and don’t trust any factory packaging in bags. But, these are actually sealed up pretty well. Airtight? Most are, but not all. I leave in the original bag and seal it up in a Mylar. Here is one from a previous order.

3E4C482A-6147-40BC-A8E6-CA0FFA71E971.jpeg

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I am going for long term storage (30-40+ years) and don’t trust any factory packaging in bags. But, these are actually sealed up pretty well. Airtight? Most are, but not all. I leave in the original bag and seal it up in a Mylar. Here is one from a previous order.

View attachment 122764

I've seen a lot of posts from you that your cellaring deep, but 30 years in 1 go, wow.... In that case I think I go the tin route, more convenient than having to jar or mylar everything... Yes, its more expensive, but convenience has a price.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
I've seen a lot of posts from you that your cellaring deep, but 30 years in 1 go, wow.... In that case I think I go the tin route, more convenient than having to jar or mylar everything... Yes, its more expensive, but convenience has a price.
I started out with the same thinking as you, buying tins over bulk and not jarring/bagging anything. But, last fall, my 7 year old was trying to help me in our basement and he accidentally knocked over one of my totes of tins and almost 3/4 of them broke their seal. I then decided that trying to keep a stable environment would be hard with life/kids. Now I spend the extra 50 cents to Mylar the tins and everything. But, everyone has their own cellaring strategy.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Just had a delivery today. Briar Fox, Dreams of Kadath, Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz Blue, Pegasus, We Three Kings, 4th Generation 1855, SP Black Cavendish, Sutliff 245 ZBC and Summer Night.View attachment 119868
Looks like you are trying the Burley. I have been enjoying burly Briarfox Haunted Bookshop is growing in me smoked wispy slow Amphora Burley. I want to try Pegasus Old Joe and HH Burley Flake

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Looks like you are trying the Burley. I have been enjoying burly Briarfox Haunted Bookshop is growing in me smoked wispy slow Amphora Burley. I want to try Pegasus Old Joe and HH Burley Flake
I've found I like burley quite a bit. Ordering different blends to try since I've only been smoking a pipe for a few months now. Eventually I hope to settle on a dozen or so that I can always have on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.