Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
A lot of new blends to try, for me!

C&D:
2 oz each...
-Bow Legged Bear
-Purple Cow
-Sansepolcro (tin arrived from SP punctured, but delicious)
-Bayou Morning Flake
-Star of the East Flake
-Sunset Harbor Flake
-Dreams of Kadath
-Seersucker
-Gates of Light
-Warped: King's Stride
-Autumn Evening

1 lb. each...
-Bayou Night
-Rajah's Court

SG:
50G each...

-Squadron Leader
-Squadron Leader + Perique
-Full Virginia Flake
-Black XX (tried it, hated it, gifting it to a piper on Reddit)

SPC:
-Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged (how are they calling this aged? Tastes very immature to my pallete)
-Seattle Evening
-Potlatch
-Deception Pass

HH:
50G each...
-Bold Kentucky
-Burley Flake

Odds and Ends:
-50G Hearth and Home Blackhouse, 3 oz. Fusilier's Ration Special Reserve (bulk), 50G War Horse Bar, 50G Elizabethan

BY FAR my most diverse haul yet. Had some gift certificates I needed to use up so I figured I'd use it as an opportunity to diversify my portfolio, if you will. Next up: GL Pease.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
While I wait for my Black Friday order to work it's way through the glorious postal system (almost 70 days with no updates), I went ahead and ordered a few new blends, seeing as my regular smokes are now deemed too dangerous to be sold in / sent out to MA (Black Frigate, Sutliff Aromatic English, H&H Mid-Town Chesnut)

3 x MacBaren: Burley: London Blend
2 x Samuel Gawith: Skiff Mixture
1 x Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen: 1882 Founders Blend
1 x Chonowitsch: T 16
1 x Chonowitsch: T 17
2oz C&D: Red Odessa
1oz Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen: Afternoon Melange
2oz Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen: Morning Blend
2oz Sutliff: RL-BD

I imagine this will actually arrive before my previous order, but it'll certainly keep me busy for a while.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
While I wait for my Black Friday order to work it's way through the glorious postal system (almost 70 days with no updates), I went ahead and ordered a few new blends, seeing as my regular smokes are now deemed too dangerous to be sold in / sent out to MA (Black Frigate, Sutliff Aromatic English, H&H Mid-Town Chesnut)

3 x MacBaren: Burley: London Blend
2 x Samuel Gawith: Skiff Mixture
1 x Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen: 1882 Founders Blend
1 x Chonowitsch: T 16
1 x Chonowitsch: T 17
2oz C&D: Red Odessa
1oz Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen: Afternoon Melange
2oz Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen: Morning Blend
2oz Sutliff: RL-BD

I imagine this will actually arrive before my previous order, but it'll certainly keep me busy for a while.
Black Friday, really?! I had an order from P&C through USPS placed on Dec. 11 that never updated tracking for two weeks. I called them and they overnighted a new package and said if the other one ever shows up, I can keep it a discount.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Black Friday, really?! I had an order from P&C through USPS placed on Dec. 11 that never updated tracking for two weeks. I called them and they overnighted a new package and said if the other one ever shows up, I can keep it a discount.
Yup, it was my first order with the Country Squire. They've been gracious in their responses, and I've been trying to be patient in not requesting a refund, it's not their fault and I'd rather a B&M didn't take a hit (no matter how small) but at this point I might have to. The kicker was that I also included the Christmas blends in my order, so I'll miss out on those this year even if they agree to resend the order. It arrived at Jackson, MS Distribution Center 12/2, and hasn't moved since.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
It arrived at Jackson, MS Distribution Center 12/2, and hasn't moved since.
You have the patience of Job.

Your post reminds me of Charlie Daniels' "Uneasy Rider":

"Now the last thing I wanted was to get into a fight
In Jackson Mississippi on a Saturday night
Especially when there was three of them and only one of me..."

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Yup, it was my first order with the Country Squire. They've been gracious in their responses, and I've been trying to be patient in not requesting a refund, it's not their fault and I'd rather a B&M didn't take a hit (no matter how small) but at this point I might have to. The kicker was that I also included the Christmas blends in my order, so I'll miss out on those this year even if they agree to resend the order. It arrived at Jackson, MS Distribution Center 12/2, and hasn't moved since.
Have you made an inquiry with the USPS? Sometimes your local PO can get more info than we can.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Have you made an inquiry with the USPS? Sometimes your local PO can get more info than we can.
I have several times, unfortunately they've not been much use. The missing mail ticket was a dead end with a cut and paste covid excuse. My local PO doesn't seem to care, and on the times I spoke with them they couldn't keep the details correct. I've been told that I'll get it eventually, that it's in Jacksonville, FL, to they're unsure why it's not left Jackson, MS yet and maybe I should just ask the seller to resend. Not one apology, or ounce of accountability.. I've been keeping an eye on the USPS complaints reddit and there's people out there who have been waiting longer than I have, some are only just receiving their packages...others not.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore than I have. If this ever gets sorted out, I'll happily post an update with a list of the blends I receive.

Jun 23, 2019
View attachment 64497
My first tins from McConnell...can’t wait to try ‘em out. Stopped at Boswell’s today on the way to Gettysburg for an overnight trip with the Mrs. ...could spend a whole day in there

I'm a big fan of McConnell's stuff, they're "pure" blends for mixing are some of my favorite and that Red Virginia you have there is a great all-day smoke vaper.

- - -

A lot of new blends to try, for me!

C&D:
2 oz each...
-Bow Legged Bear
-Purple Cow
-Sansepolcro (tin arrived from SP punctured, but delicious)
-Bayou Morning Flake
-Star of the East Flake
-Sunset Harbor Flake
-Dreams of Kadath
-Seersucker
-Gates of Light
-Warped: King's Stride
-Autumn Evening

1 lb. each...
-Bayou Night
-Rajah's Court

SG:
50G each...

-Squadron Leader
-Squadron Leader + Perique
-Full Virginia Flake
-Black XX (tried it, hated it, gifting it to a piper on Reddit)

SPC:
-Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged (how are they calling this aged? Tastes very immature to my pallete)
-Seattle Evening
-Potlatch
-Deception Pass

HH:
50G each...
-Bold Kentucky
-Burley Flake

Odds and Ends:
-50G Hearth and Home Blackhouse, 3 oz. Fusilier's Ration Special Reserve (bulk), 50G War Horse Bar, 50G Elizabethan

BY FAR my most diverse haul yet. Had some gift certificates I needed to use up so I figured I'd use it as an opportunity to diversify my portfolio, if you will. Next up: GL Pease.

Now that's a proper hull! Very diverse indeed.

I think they call the Plum Pudding "barrel aged" in so much as it was cased and processed in a bourbon barrel. As for aging the actual virginias, I wouldn't expect more than the usual ready-to-smoke virginias.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have several times, unfortunately they've not been much use. The missing mail ticket was a dead end with a cut and paste covid excuse. My local PO doesn't seem to care, and on the times I spoke with them they couldn't keep the details correct. I've been told that I'll get it eventually, that it's in Jacksonville, FL, to they're unsure why it's not left Jackson, MS yet and maybe I should just ask the seller to resend. Not one apology, or ounce of accountability.. I've been keeping an eye on the USPS complaints reddit and there's people out there who have been waiting longer than I have, some are only just receiving their packages...others not.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore than I have. If this ever gets sorted out, I'll happily post an update with a list of the blends I receive.
Sorry man. That stinks.

Reactions: Devil Anse

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
I'm a big fan of McConnell's stuff, they're "pure" blends for mixing are some of my favorite and that Red Virginia you have there is a great all-day smoke vaper.

- - -

Now that's a proper hull! Very diverse indeed.

I think they call the Plum Pudding "barrel aged" in so much as it was cased and processed in a bourbon barrel. As for aging the actual virginias, I wouldn't expect more than the usual ready-to-smoke virginias.
Just had a bowl out of my MM Devil's Anse cob and I really enjoy it. The point where the bourbon is fading but still barely detectable, about 2/5 into the bowl, was my favorite point... I think it's interesting to take a somewhat stout Balkan like Plum Pudding and treat it with such a noticeable foreign flavoring and I'm interested in trying more in this vein.

As for the matter of "aging," can we really call it aging if it sat in a barrel for a month? At just a month, I think "bourbon barrel cured" or "cured" or "cased" in bourbon barrels is more appropriate, but I digress. It's a damn fine blend I'm excited to have in my arsenal. It doesn't need any time, to my pallete. Mighty good as is.

Jun 23, 2019
Just had a bowl out of my MM Devil's Anse cob and I really enjoy it. The point where the bourbon is fading but still barely detectable, about 2/5 into the bowl, was my favorite point... I think it's interesting to take a somewhat stout Balkan like Plum Pudding and treat it with such a noticeable foreign flavoring and I'm interested in trying more in this vein.

As for the matter of "aging," can we really call it aging if it sat in a barrel for a month? At just a month, I think "bourbon barrel cured" or "cured" or "cased" in bourbon barrels is more appropriate, but I digress. It's a damn fine blend I'm excited to have in my arsenal. It doesn't need any time, to my pallete. Mighty good as is.

Yeah, the marketing department of a lot of firms are known to take some liberties, especially in the pipe tobacco world.

All those imaginative names and fable-esque tin descriptions and all that...

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Have never even tried St James Flake, Best Brown and Scottish Autumn. I am out of jars and have set myself the aim of not opening new stuff until I empty some of the stuff in my current rotation.
I've got a tin of Best Brown that I'm still working on that has about 5 years of age. It's a very bready and toasty VA. Hardly any hay/citrus in my opinion. It's the only brown VA I've had as I mainly smoke brights/reds. Ages well though and with the moisture of SG, expect to see some crystals forming after a few years of aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.