PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Went up to my local B&M tonight to smoke in the lounge. It is only 10 minutes from my house, and while they have a decent pipe tobacco tin section, I typically don't peruse, as the majority of the stuff they carry is not to my taste. However, they have always carried a healthy supply of C & D stuff, which I am not typically a fan of, but much to my surprise, while looking through their selection, I found 5 tins of the Carolina Red Flake!!!

I have heard so many good things about this tobacco, and being a diehard Va smoker, I had to pull the trigger! I am guessing that since the owner has always carried a large stock of C & D blends, he was probably able to easily procure these tins last Fall, and for some reason I just never noticed till now. Anyhow, I am pretty damn happy if I must say so...gonna crack a tin tomorrow!

-Scott

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I just got a couple ounces of GH&Co #7 Broken Flake. Made the mailbox smell strangely floral, through the ziploc and bubble envelope. I’m buying these Lakelands out of curiosity.

Given I only get a bowl or two a week, I have a hard time passing up a favourite to try something that smells so weird.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I just got a couple ounces of GH&Co #7 Broken Flake. Made the mailbox smell strangely floral, through the ziploc and bubble envelope. I’m buying these Lakelands out of curiosity.

Given I only get a bowl or two a week, I have a hard time passing up a favourite to try something that smells so weird.
It's a nice break, a palate cleanser if you will. As a opposed to smoking latakillya, which seems to last in my mouth and beard for days!

Reactions: cshubhra and Casual

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It's a nice break, a palate cleanser if you will. As a opposed to smoking latakillya, which seems to last in my mouth and beard for days!
I agree, I like a light hand with Latakia these days.

Just tried the GH&Co #7 Broken flake. Tempted to say it’s a great Va/Bur with the first quarter nearly ruined with that weird floral topping. Loved the last three quarters of it. I’m not sure what people mean when they say something is “quality tobacco” but this might be it. But that topping, whew.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I agree, I like a light hand with Latakia these days.

Just tried the GH&Co #7 Broken flake. Tempted to say it’s a great Va/Bur with the first quarter nearly ruined with that weird floral topping. Loved the last three quarters of it. I’m not sure what people mean when they say something is “quality tobacco” but this might be it. But that topping, whew.
#7 Broken flake is fairly heavily floral for me as well. So it's smokes less than the Grasmere flake. Still my reigning champ is Grousemoor!

Most bowls are best for me at the 2/3 mark till the end. I have noticed that when the heat is evenly and lightly distributed across the tobacco the flavors pop!

Enjoy!

Jun 23, 2019
SP.com store credit + new limited va/per blends = this could get dangerous...

Restocked on a couple of favorites:

Arango - Balkan Supreme - 8 Oz
GL Pease - Quiet Nights - 8 Oz
GL Pease - Chelsea Morning - 8 Oz

Got suckered into the Anniversary Va/Pers:

C&D - SP 20th Flake - 2 Oz
C&D - SP 20th Dark Flake - 2 Oz

Aaaaaand also picked up a final-year Republic Era Peterson Sherlock Holmes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently purchased a couple of 2006 tins from Pipestud. Since my cellar is complete I only buy aged tins now when prices are fair. I am not going to name the tins as I don't want any competition. They don't come around very often and they are not the more popular blends so I am going to be a selfish asshole and give no names. Yes I am a prick but all you guys have known that for years.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I recently purchased a couple of 2006 tins from Pipestud. Since my cellar is complete I only buy aged tins now when prices are fair. I am not going to name the tins as I don't want any competition. They don't come around very often and they are not the more popular blends so I am going to be a selfish asshole and give no names. Yes I am a prick but all you guys have known that for years.
Holly’s Non Plus Ultra!

Status
Not open for further replies.