PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We've just had a post knocking low slung pants exposing boxer shorts, which have gotten the goat

of some, and raised defense for the young by others. Over the months/years/decades, there have

been some really outlandish men's styles, from the zoot suits to the Speedo brief bathing suits worn

as beach and resort wear (competitive swimming, the fastest swimmer can wear whatever he likes).

Here are a few of my historical men's fashion train wrecks. What are yours? Mine are:

In the 1970's, some men took to wearing clear plastic shower caps as street wear. In addition to

looking really misplaced, this must have bred all kinds of scalp problems from retained moisture and

tropical heat under the cap. A little later, young boys started carrying hair combs slung out of their

back pockets, which was probably a good sign of a blossoming interest in personal grooming, but

this hung on with some young people much longer, and caught on with some adults, so only recently

has the back-pocket comb in view completely disappeared (I hope). In the late 80's or so, the flip-front

pompadour caught on with middle-school kids and still hangs on with some adults today. I guess

you can call these "mistakes," or self-expression. What are some of your least-favorite trends?
Disclaimer: I still defend the right to wear plaids and stripes together, despite much fussing by some.

In fact, The New Yorker used to have lavish ads with one model wearing stripes, plaids, and paisley all

at once. Maybe you had to stay in New York City with that.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
A little later, young boys started carrying hair combs slung out of their back pockets
ha ha. I was one of them! About 4 or 5 years ago, I was in Spain and I saw a lot of men wearing Capris pants. I'm glad they didn't take here in America.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Hey, you! Ya' you! Makin fun of my leisure suit and the sexy silk wild print shirt with it? You ain't got no class. Outa here!
Sincerely yours,

Larry (Yah the famous one)

:laughat: :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Funny, I can still recall being at a friend's party. Age 12ish, 1974. I was wearing my standard blue blazer (with the crest on the pocket) and in walks my friend Jeff in a blue polyester leisure suit, a lot like this:
LeisureSuit.jpg

We were all like "wow - cool threads!" Sadly, we meant it - lol!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
OK, this will annoy some. How about bowties? Other then weddings, I have NOT worn one since I had a choice in clothes.
Winton

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Funny article on how bad it was in the ‘70s (can’t help but cringe remembering it):
Hilarious JCPenney Catalogue from 1977
http://social.popsugar.com/Absolutely-Hilarious-JCPenney-Catalogue-from-1977-You-HAVE-read-771943

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I had a Nehru jacket when I was in a rock band in 9th grade. I refused to wear it at gigs but I bought it to appease the others. Peace at any price; even at $12.00 I 1968.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I actually did wear a Members Only jacket in the 80's... but I drew the line at parachute pants. :D

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Anyone remember Angel Flight pants? High waisted polyester bell bottom with built in seam? I had about 3 pairs of them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
winton, I never wore bow ties because I couldn't get them tied. Also, they seemed to be a sort of personal trademark

for some people that seemed just a tad too cute. But it bothered me that I couldn't tie one. I over-thought the process.

Finally, over several years, I stopped thinking and just got to the bow. There are advantages. Bow ties don't get in your

soup or pasta sauce nearly as much as long ties. You can wear much wilder or more striking colors without looking

exhibitionistic. Also, when you're a little older and somewhat beat up, they look upbeat and ironic, maybe. Or maybe

I just never got hip to how out-of-it bow ties really are. I like 'em and have six or eight.
The rest of these fashions -- wow! I guess we've all been through some of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.