Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
The immortal "Toughskins" from Sears. :D

toughskins_zpsfff0b463.jpg

And the more recent "monkey-tail beard".

6e5c636d-c458-420c-af48-41d320aa9c37_zpsf4c20ec5.jpg

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
The Teddy Boy or Cosh Boy outfit popular in England in the Fifties to the Seventies. It wasn't good a century before and certainly wasn't worth revisiting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One bad fashion choice that I still wear (points for honesty?) are button-down Hawaiian shirts. One of my two

actually has sailboats on it, subtle in the pattern (he said defensively). They're colorful, they're cool, but I

guess they really look funky. Just can't Goodwill them. I guess I should wear them with my bow ties! Oh no.
Guys, these posts are amazing. And the photos. There's a book here for someone. Guys and duds just

have an element of calamity that is somewhat fascinating.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Rugs - Seriously nobody is falling for it just cut the rest of your hair off and go bald.
Also Ascots are horrible

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What about the rat tail haircut fad in the late 80s and early 90s? That was pretty bad.
I have to say bell bottoms and plat form shoes were pretty bad. So was the afro and especially the afro with the pick stuck in it.
The gerry curl hairdo of the 80s was just as bad as the mullet. In some cases it ended up being a gerry curl mullet.
Hammer pants as every day wear was not a good idea.
Over sized baggy clothes was not a good idea. It's never a good idea to start a fashion trend based off of skinny guys being given clothes two sizes too big in prison because it was the smallest they had.
The Mr. T approach to jewelry was not a good idea. Apparently nobody ever told him less is more.
I've always wondered what the hell possessed men to wear their pants up so high in the 40s and 50s. That look never appealed to me.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I've always wondered what the hell possessed men to wear their pants up so high in the 40s and 50s. That look never appealed to me.
Most men back then wore the classic three piece suit, consisting of jacket, waistcoat, and trousers. The practical reason for the high waist was to allow for a reasonable overlap between trousers and waistcoat, thus preventing the shirt from being visible between them. But, if you weren't wearing a waistcoat, it did look a little odd.
Edit: Fixed your quote function for you. The "/" has to be in the last set of brackets. e.g. [/quote] not the first set. L.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
One look I don't miss is the full Cleveland, white shoes and a white belt! Think, Uncle Eddie from Vacation or Herb Tarlek from WKRP in Cincinnati.

May 31, 2012
We laugh at fashions of the past, but in the future, today will be yesterday and we'll all laugh again tomorrow.
You got that right woodsroad LOL
Vice Magazine does a pretty funny job of ridiculing the present

with their "dos and dont's" ...
http://www.vice.com/vice/dnd/81907

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, you had to be one hep cat to rock those Eleganza duds.
In this rural area, even in the 70's, wearing gear like that was a sure-fire invitation for a beat-down...
Sadly, my mom was a big fan of Tuffskins....

Status
Not open for further replies.