PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, handsome and practical.

My experience with a zippered pouch was not a good one- didn't keep the tobacco moist enough, and the metal bits of the zipper were hard on the fingers if you couldn't look to see what you were doing.

Reactions: sandollars

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
That is a nice pouch, I like it. However my little experience with Sir Walter Raleigh is that it comes quite dry already.
Any foldable pouch that is lined with that yellow rubber material will keep it as fresh as any other brand employing the same materials. As far as pouch freshness goes, it doesn’t get any better than this method, and pouches like this have been used for almost a century for a reason. The only way to keep tobacco more fresh would be to keep it in a jar. If you are looking for a high quality, leather pouch I would implore you to find a foldable one (not one that zips closed) that is rubber lined or your tobacco will dry out in a matter of a day or two. I had one with no lining and all of my tobaccos would dry out within days which was frustrating. As long as it is rubber lined and foldable (a foldable one with buttons to snap shut is fine too), any pouch will do and you just have to find one that tickles your fancy. puffy

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
@mtwaller , I have just taken a look at his online shop. Those are among the nicest pipe cases that I have seen so far. Honestly, based on what I see around they do not look overpriced, really.
The three pipe case looks interesting as well. I wonder how well it works. I don't see dimensions so I am not sure if it is thicker than the two pipe case, but they look similar in size.

I see you are from Atlanta too

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@mtwaller , I have just taken a look at his online shop. Those are among the nicest pipe cases that I have seen so far. Honestly, based on what I see around they do not look overpriced, really.
The three pipe case looks interesting as well. I wonder how well it works. I don't see dimensions so I am not sure if it is thicker than the two pipe case, but they look similar in size.

I see you are from Atlanta too
Yessir, born and raised!

These are pretty hefty chunks of leather. I’m too lazy to measure it tonight, but it’s sort of like a large paperback book, and pretty thick even with nothing in it. Definitely not something you’re going to carry in your pocket, but it’s plenty roomy for weekend travel. I routinely pack 2 pipes, lighter, tamper, flints, 25+ cleaners, cigar cutter, and a couple of Robustos. And you could store a couple tins on top of it.

Honestly the leather on the new ones looks quite a bit fancier than mine, maybe I have a base model that is cheaper.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think a pouch is good if you smoke a lot of one blend. If you're like me and tend to smoke about fifteen or twenty blends in rotation, you don't want to fill a pouch too full or the blend dries out. Though the fold-over pouches keep the moisture longer.

For travel I've resorted to the mundane zip-lock baggies, that seem to do okay over a week or so, with only measured amounts of various blends needed. If you always smoke on the move, and learned the right amounts to carry, you could get this down to a science.

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
Right. When I use resealable bags I use 4 mil, I press the tobacco and let all the air out of the bag. The lesser the air inside the better it is.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I know the OP stipulated ones from the USA or American-made, but do check out the Martin Weis (German) elk leather ones from site sponsor, The Danish Pipe Shop.

I've been sorely tempted by the XL 2pipe combination pipe&tobacco pouch. Alas I have 4 pipe/tobacco bags/pouches (having already gifted a couple) which I rarely use - less than once a year.

They do look nice. Sigh !

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I have had a Larocca single pipe pouch for 5 yrs. Extremely soft and latex lined. It keeps my tobacco moist for a week. I think I paid about $35 for it. Well spent money in my opinion.

Jef

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa
Search this on amazon
Peterson 2 Pipe Large Bag Pipe Pouch
It is pretty nice and heavy duty and I though the $50 price tag was acceptable

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Another vote for the 4th generation pouch. I have the 2 and 4 pipe bags and use them often. I tend to not use the tobacco pouches though, just out of personal preference. I usually bring a couple of small tupperware containers for the tobacco.