PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'd give it a re-watch if you're having problems with comprehension.
Nobody is having a problem with comprehension. This guy is sitting in his SUV, comparing himself to Patrick Henry, who made his statement when facing a firing squad. This guy isn't about sacrificing himself for his country, he's pissed off because he's required to do record keeping for the type of business he wants to open. The comparison trivializes Patrick Henry.

And he's not exactly honest about the business he wants to do, making it sound like he has to pull all this information for a B&M when it's information for an on line business. As he says several times, he's got other businesses.

As for his concerns about privacy, he's recording himself on a smartphone that's 99% sure to be tracking him, possibly hundreds of times a day. He's in his own fantasy world. There's no privacy on the Web.

Nope, no problem here with comprehension.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Since the founding of this nation, which is a republic unequaled and unmatched in wealth and military might by all the world’s empires that have ever existed, combined and squared, a simple soldier boy has had to risk his life to preserve our constitutional right to whine, moan, groan and complain about the gubbermint.

Ma Agee always led us singing When The Roses Bloom Again.

I can’t find one of my ancestors that didn’t mount a horse and join the cavalry between 1861 to 1865. And they all fought under the same flag that flies today in Kentucky, and from Guam to the Virgin Islands, and all points in between.

They fought so he’d have the right to complain about our laws.

There’s lots of Sons of Union Veterans too, but since we won we don’t get much ink or bytes today. The rebels won the peace that followed, to hear them tell it.

We make our own laws.

We govern ourselves.

Patrick Henry said it so eloquently:

If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come. It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
——
Are you registered to vote?

A lot of true patriots died so you could.

Reactions: sablebrush52

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Since the founding of this nation, which is a republic unequaled and unmatched in wealth and military might by all the world’s empires that have ever existed, combined and squared, a simple soldier boy has had to risk his life to preserve our constitutional right to whine, moan, groan and complain about the gubbermint.

Ma Agee always led us singing When The Roses Bloom Again.

I can’t find one of my ancestors that didn’t mount a horse and join the cavalry between 1861 to 1865. And they all fought under the same flag that flies today in Kentucky, and from Guam to the Virgin Islands, and all points in between.

They fought so he’d have the right to complain about our laws.

There’s lots of Sons of Union Veterans too, but since we won we don’t get much ink or bytes today. The rebels won the peace that followed, to hear them tell it.

We make our own laws.

We govern ourselves.

Patrick Henry said it so eloquently:

If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come. It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
——
Are you registered to vote?

A lot of true patriots died so you could.
As I read this, I am pleased to tell you that my former seventh grade student, Eric Schmitt, is now the primary winner for Senator of Missouri. Back when he was my student, he was clear about serving as an elected official. He wanted to be president. Congratulations Eric Schmitt. I have no doubt that you will serve your state well.

Reactions: jttnk

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
As I read this, I am pleased to tell you that my former seventh grade student, Eric Schmitt, is now the primary winner for Senator of Missouri. Back when he was my student, he was clear about serving as an elected official. He wanted to be president. Congratulations Eric Schmitt. I have no doubt that you will serve your state well.
My mother taught current Missouri Governor Mike Parson, who now owns a farm near Humansville Missouri in Wheatland public schools.

I served with Mike during the summer of 1981 when he was a deputy for Sheriff Kennedy and I was a law clerk for John Parks in Hickory County.

Mike is the first “outstate” (I.e.proud hillbilly) Governor in the entire history of Missouri.

Ma Agee woulda been so proud a that Parson boy she’d have durned near a busted!

We were all Ma Agee fans the summer after she died.

No finer husband, father, and Christian ever walked this earth than Mike Parson.

His only formal educational degree was Wheatland High 1973. He honorably served our nation in the Air Force until Sheriff Kennedy hired him as a deputy about 1980.

If you know Mike and his lovely wife you know, he’s never had his hair cut in a beauty shoo in his life and has never tied up his barber in his basement, either.:)

He’s never sued a school board for enforcing Covid 19 restrictions, and he had nothing to do with suing China for starting Covid 19 either.:)

Politics is, a dirty game, but Mike Parson is above the fray, he sincerely is.

All he wants to do is retire to his farm near Humansville two years from now, after a lifetime of honorable, non partisan service to all the people of Missouri.

He’s a Missionary Baptist, or he was back in 1981. They have to go in the back door of the tavern.

As for me, as a Christian only, I can occasionally pop a top, again.

Time for a beer.

This November should be rather illuminating for all us hills folk out here in God’s own Ozarks.

As Ma Agee said

“‘Tis a privilege to live in the Ozarks”

Reactions: telescopes

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
America has a problem with too many petty bureaucrats.

It’s always tempting to tax beer and tobacco instead of baby formula, but ever since the Apostle Mathew the Tax Collector the Governors all need to collect the sin taxes.

And since the very last thing any taxation scheme needs is corruption, the head of the revenue department must set up rules and regulations.

Missour has already legalized medical weed and this November is set to approve recreational cannabis.

The people are doing it to raise revenue.

The states around Missouri will then legalize marijuana as to not miss out on a revenue source.

I’ve been against sin taxes all my life for the reason it normalizes sinning and gives the states a reason to set up petty bureaucracies, which are bad.

All states have three basic functions

They educate children

They medicate the poor

They incarcerate offenders

After that they need to keep up the roads and bridges.

Imagine all the sinning, it would take to tax enough to pay for all that?.:)

Reactions: sablebrush52

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I did that NY Times quiz; now admittedly as an Irishman brought up in England before spending 10 years living in NSW Australia (who generally speaks Aussie English) I was just having a bit of fun, but, it seems to think I might come from Boston or Providence RI but it's first choice is Honolulu.

When in the US most people assume I'm Australian (and they did even before I moved to Australia!).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It says that I'm from Spokane, Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Des Moines, but I confused it as I am actually Canadian, mid/north Albertan to be specific, although I also lived in BC for part of my childhood.

View attachment 160468
Wow, that’s fun and accurate. Born in Michigan, lived there until I was 10 (dark red) moved to California until college, now live in Scottsdale/ Phoenix (Dark red)
EA3C3675-95BE-4C71-A7B7-E1063DCC034B.png

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Some Ozarkisms

Me un Little Bob (Robert Bruce Ray, Jr.) wuz over to Bolivar the other day to buy fertilize at the Exchange (Missouri Farmer’s Association Coop) and he falls down and durn neart busted hiz head open against the cement loaden dock.

Bout that time a big Pitt bull lookin’ dog that some methhead musta owned came a saunterin’ by and if Little Bob hadn’t called off Big Bob’s Blue Heeler dog that jumped from off the back of the flatbed I’ll swan iff’n that Blue Heeler dog wouldn’t have eat that Pitt Bull dog alive.

That Blue Heeler dog o Big Bob’s is the most human o’ any dog I ever did see or even hear anybody lie about.

When he’s a riden in back you is safe in the front, Ima tellenya.

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've lived in CA 40 years, but it still pegged me in Washington, DC and New York City. Plus I lived in Illinois for the first 14 years of my life! Go figure.

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
It placed me squarely where I was. It listed three other cities in Alabama that are within an hours trek from my house. Gotta say, I’m impressed by the accuracy

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I've lived in CA 40 years, but it still pegged me in Washington, DC and New York City. Plus I lived in Illinois for the first 14 years of my life! Go figure.
What causes the most glitches is your mother taught you the English language, by the odds.

It’s not the only influence but usually the greatest influence.

After her, your father influences your speech.

My Daddy was born a half mile South of the Bug Tussle store.

My mother was born on the banks of the Pomme De Terre river to Ma and Pa Agee.

Me and Jed Clampett talk the same.:)

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
Politicians are people who want to control things. Once they’ve controlled something, they look for something else to control. Right now they’re taxing the daylights out of tobacco in Kentucky. Other states see that and want some of the action. So watch out! Right now it’s online stores but soon it’ll be B&Ms asking all your information. Who knows why? Who cares? It’s information for future use for who knows what. Control. They have to control to feed their sickness. It’s not going to stop because ALL politicians have this sickness. Vote one out and two more take ITS place. Revolt is not the answer, it’s too messy. KEEP VOTING! Vote out the incumbents who spearhead this activity and just keep doing it. Sooner or later they’ll start fearing us again and slow it down. But they’ll never stop because it’s a collective sickness. We have to become as sick as they are with our voting. It will never “end”. KEEP VOTING!

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
Smokers aren't one issue voters. Well, at least many of the members here. There are much more serious issues at stake tomorrow than tobacco. Using tobacco is a selfish choice we make but, to expect smokers to be as selfish in their vote ... well, that's just not going to happen.
It’s not just one issue of which I speak. The controllers are out of control on every front. Tobacco is just one small example. But tobacco is what this forum is about. I’m not trying to go down the rabbit hole on all political concerns. If you look at who’s spearheading these efforts on tobacco, you’ll find that these people meddle in just about every aspect of our lives. The worst offenders need to go first. We gotta start somewhere. I mentioned tobacco because it’s a tobacco forum, that’s not where it ends.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The manager of the tobacco shop I go to said that he pays 15-18% more than the online dealers I order from due to state taxes on tobacco. That’s ridiculous to try to compete with.
I'm still paying $35/carton for cigarettes and $29 for a tub of Carter Hall. Your guy might be gouging you.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant