Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How else could the sellers explain why the tobacco sojourned there?

But I suppose if they put Nazareth Pennsylvania nobody would be the wiser and Kentucky would not be a farthing poorer.
By recording where the customer resides, which may, or may not, be their birth state. Since the point of this record keeping it to make sure that online transactions pay the accompanying taxes, based on state and municipality of residence, not birth, what would be the point of requiring recording the state of birth as opposed to the state of residency? Where would reside the need to explain Bethlehem to Nazareth much less Nazareth to Bethlehem, or Timbuk to tu.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
It says that I'm from Spokane, Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Des Moines, but I confused it as I am actually Canadian, mid/north Albertan to be specific, although I also lived in BC for part of my childhood.

View attachment 160468
Most likely because by American they mean United States and this is the population used to norm the survey.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
How else could the sellers explain why the tobacco sojourned there?

But I suppose if they put Nazareth Pennsylvania nobody would be the wiser and Kentucky would not be a farthing poorer.
Spoiler Alert for Remunishuns of an Ozark Hillbilly

Ma Agee was 66 in 1963. The owners of The Index owned the rights she had ever written under their copyright since 1919.

The Index owners were furious the Beverley Hillbillies scabbed column and after column from Ma Agee and refused to pay them a penny royalties.

But being a very observant Christian, neither Ma Agee nor any of her family (Sy Thomas and Saydee and others in Ma and Pa series) were religiously opposed to being in lawsuits.

(Settle with thy adversary on the way to court, lest he sue thee and win thy cloak and robe also. You will not get out of prison until you have paid the last penny)

The Index owners had to keep Ma Agee happy. They had the largest circulation of any small paper maybe in the entire world, certainly in the United States at the time.

So it came to pass, in those days, the producers of The Beverley Hillbillies sent a pre paid $400 order for two hundred copies of a book they wanted Ma Agee to write and copyright in her own name.

Just her own name.

Ma Agee paid Nanny Jenkins $20 (I have the receipt) for her illustrations.

The copyright is under Myrtle Cahow “Ma” Agee. (My Granny! )

The Index was during her lifetime the only authorized publisher and Ma Agee required the owners to bring her check to her house where we grandkids watched. She’d always split her proceeds with them at the same time.

Now, for the spoiler.

He who has wisdom let him hear.

The book begins with her just a sotton there a Remunishun (almost Rumination) about bye gone days.

When she was just a girl, her sister was engaged to be married to Pa.

But on her sister’s wedding day her sister had the chicken pox and Pa didn’t want to wait.

So Pa took the shoes he’d bought for his new bride and tried them on all the sisters and glory be, they fit her.

And then she led Pa off dozing on the mule to visit his kinfolks down in Arkansas for their honeymoon.

She remembered it as the best ten years they ever spent.

But when they got back, it seems a coon dog had dropped their youngest girl Saydee (My mother, but Donna Douglas in the Hillbillies) off on their front porch.

Their oldest Sy Thomas (my Uncle Jiggs) then had a playmate.

And then having started the book, it gets better each page until it ends 32 pages later.

I can assure you the owners of The Index never once caught the allusions to Cinderella on her her way to Bethlehem.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
By recording where the customer resides, which may, or may not, be their birth state. Since the point of this record keeping it to make sure that online transactions pay the accompanying taxes, based on state and municipality of residence, not birth, what would be the point of requiring recording the state of birth as opposed to the state of residency? Where would reside the need to explain Bethlehem to Nazareth much less Nazareth to Bethlehem, or Timbuk to tu.
Then I suppose the sellers must have faith, that it’s true.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.

So long as the taxes are paid in Kentucky who will be the wiser, or poorer?

Our bitter man who would be a seller except for the requirements could move to Removal Kentucky to escape Kentucky jurisdiction, but alas no Native Americans live there today.

But I’ll bet the home of Kentucky Burley will be a long time outlawing that’s crop.

Last edited:

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I saw that post the other day. A very frustrating and concerning commentary. It is licensed profiteering I agree with him. The the implications of the legalized, punitive oversight and the gradual mashing of the small guys who wants to make a fair shot at establishing/maintaining a continuing business operation under minds one of the founding principles of this great country. Sad state of affairs indeed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Then I suppose the sellers must have faith, that it’s true.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.

So long as the taxes are paid in Kentucky who will be the wiser, or poorer?
Rates are charged at point of sale, which is defined as the location of the customer who initiated the order. And then there's the matter of excise tax.

Now if the package was sent to Vermont because the buyer was born in Vermont though now residing in New Mexico, because the record is based on the state of birth rather than the state of residency, it would require faith indeed that the package will ever be received by the buyer.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I saw that post the other day. A very frustrating and concerning commentary. It is licensed profiteering I agree with him. The the implications of the legalized, punitive oversight and the gradual mashing of the small guys who wants to make a fair shot at establishing/maintaining a continuing business operation under minds one of the founding principles of this great country. Sad state of affairs indeed.
Kentucky lists 12 pages of licensed tobacco distributors on it’s Department of Revenue web site.

Only these are native Kentuckians:

Ashland Specialty Co LLC
125 29th St
Ashland
KY
RW/TD
Cooper Wholesale Inc
306 Oddville Ave
Cynthiana
KY
RW/TD
Core-Mark Midcontinent Inc.
1055 Salt River Rd
Leitchfield
KY
RW/TD
Core-Mark Midcontinent Inc.
325 Embry Dr
Leitchfield
KY
RW/TD
Deer State LLC
3215 FERN VALLEY RD # 16
Louisville
KY
RW/TD
Eby-Brown Company LLC
439 Park Loop Road
Shepherdsville
KY
RW/TD/TR
F Hinton Inc
dba Hinton & Sons Cash & Carry
623 South 4th
Murray
KY
RW/TD
J J Distributors LLC
1126 Ulrich Ave
Louisville
KY
RW/TD
Jackson Wholesale
129 Armory Dr
Jackson
KY
RW/TD
John F Trompeter Co
314 East Burnett Ave
Louisville
KY
RW/TD
John Renfro Supply Co Inc
423 S 5th St
Williamsburg
KY
RW/TD
Joker Distributors
640 KY 30E
Booneville
KY
RW/TD
Laurel Grocery Co LLC
415 Barbourville Rd
London
KY
RW/TD
McLane Midwest Inc
1040 Baker Ln
Nicholasville
KY
RW/TD
Modern Distributors Inc.
385 Valley Oak Dr
Somerset
KY
RW/TD/TR
MYDAD LLC
dba Hardecs
2540 South Dixie Hwy
Elizabethtown
KY
RW/TD/TR
The H T Hackney Co - Harold
32 Lakeview Lane
Harold
KY
RW/TD
The H T Hackney Co - Louisville
4015 Collins Ln
Louisville
KY
RW/TD
The H T Hackney Co - Paducah
5550 Commerce Dr
Paducah
KY
RW/TD
The H T Hackney Co - Somerset
—-

He has to play by the rules.

Those Kentuckians sell tobacco every day within the law.

And about 12 times more outside Kentucky do too.

Why is he so special?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Rates are charged at point of sale, which is defined as the location of the customer who initiated the order. And then there's the matter of excise tax.

Now if the package was sent to Vermont because the buyer was born in Vermont though now residing in New Mexico, because the record is based on the state of birth rather than the state of residency, it would require faith indeed that the package will ever be received by the buyer.
Remind me never, to distribute tobacco in Kentucky.

Better seek a more favorable jurisdiction.

Tobacco taxes

• Missouri is ranked 51st in the U.S. for its cigarette tax of 17 cents per pack (enacted August 1993) compared to the national average of $1.82. (The District of Columbia has the highest tax at $4.50).6-8
  • All other tobacco products are taxed at 10% of the manufacturer’s invoice price.6

Reactions: vosBghos

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Sadly, this is occurring in so many other industries right now as well. :(

Reactions: vosBghos

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Sadly, this is occurring in so many other industries right now as well. :(
America has a current national product of 24,000 billion dollars.

Each year requires more education for sellers to get their piece of a 24 trillion dollar pie.

I buy a lot of tobacco online.

How the internet retailers do it I have no clue.

They must comply with a mountain of regulations.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Yeah that was the part that freaked me out , thinking about opening a B&M myself , Kentucky is out , if that’s how it be there …
We talked about this video at last weeks club meet. (I'm in Louisville).
Somethings off because I (and most of us) have been to a handful of B&Ms and none have ever wanted any of that information. I asked the proprietor of the shop we gather at and she said "sounds like an internet sales thing" - which was my first thought. Isn't that called a receipt?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A lot of trash comments in this thread, imagine making fun of someone's accent. And the points he makes in the video are tremendous.
Imagine mocking an accent which he's obviously doing and I've seen no evidence of what he speaks of in Kentucky.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It just came across as a rant, an anti-government, a woe is me, self-indulgent rant. But, rants usually are pointless, self-pitying usually ending, I'm taking my ball and going home tirade with, no point constructive or otherwise. I could watch it again. Transcribe it and parse it but, I doubt I'd see the point in his rant. Sorry!
Yep