PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some people have the tick of interspersing their conversation with, "Do you know what I mean?" I think they are just asking for a response, not an actual answer of your understanding of their meaning, but I find it annoying at first, and then insulting. I am alive, awake, and heard you, and I'm not asking you what you meant, so you should know that, so far, I am following your line of thought. We're both speaking English.

Remember, you can do what politicians of every persuasion do all the time. Simply answer the question you would have preferred to be asked, as if that is exactly what was asked. And don't give a short answer. Go on and on, with details of your life, and excerpts from your favorite soapbox speeches. You'll soon forget the annoying question.

Some people have the tick of interspersing their conversation with, "Do you know what I mean?" I think they are just asking for a response, not an actual answer of your understanding of their meaning, but I find it annoying at first, and then insulting. I am alive, awake, and heard you, and I'm not asking you what you meant, so you should know that, so far, I am following your line of thought. We're both speaking English.

Remember, you can do what politicians of every persuasion do all the time. Simply answer the question you would have preferred to be asked, as if that is exactly what was asked. And don't give a short answer. Go on and on, with details of your life, and excerpts from your favorite soapbox speeches. You'll soon forget the annoying question.
I've told this before on here, but when I was in high school, a California couple moved in next door to dad. They were both blond, barefoot, and surferish looking... Every other phrase she said was "you know what I mean?" And, every other phrase from him was "Yeh, man." Like... "Yeh, man. we were out riding bikes, and yeh, man, the wind was like, blowing all around... yeh, man."

But, when they were together, it made sense, because she was constantly asking, "know what I mean?" and he would answer, "yeh, man." But, apart, they were just annoying as hell.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
any question that follows "I have to talk to you..." well actually when it follows that pregnant pause. Heck even when it's an o.k. question like the store doesn't have the thing you like is something almost identical fine. But my least favorite question is any question when I am in the middle of reading. Seriously if I ever murder someone that is going to be the reason that it happened or like they were trying to molest a kid or something like that. Seriously I hate being interrupted so much I've been reading and had an insanely beautiful woman I would normal roll down a hill of broken glass naked to talk to her for five minutes ask me "what are you reading" and responded with something like "oh just something way more interesting then talking to you" (yes sometimes I go from zero to total asshole pretty fast).
Pipe questions I love. I love the times when I am smoking someone keeps asking questions. When that happens I feel the same way that Mormon missionaries feel when someone sincerely says "yes please tell me more".

There was only one man on the planet who could understand the dumb questions of the dumbest people on the planet. That man was: I loved this series, after watching one session, the violence in my body disappeared.View attachment 127794

Prairie Slap GIF - Prairie Slap Ouch GIFs

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There was only one man on the planet who could understand the dumb questions of the dumbest people on the planet. That man was: I loved this series, after watching one session, the violence in my body disappeared.View attachment 127794
Even as a small child I always wondered why anyone enjoyed that show. Though I did like the anthrax episode a bit, though I am not 100 percent sure that wasn't just a wonderful dream.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
A few days ago my Aunt Hinda died at 101 and she could still hold on to a good conversation. Her sister, My mother's mover lived to 95. My mother is 88 but don't doing great. It was only 2 years ago where she could still play 9 holes of golf and still break 50. I never thought I would live past her as she always took care of herself and I didn't.
Like my sig tag says, I have always had options.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
In Honor of Cosmic ?

I am done with apologies. If contrariness is my
inheritance and destiny, so be it. If it is my mission
to go in at exits and come out at entrances, so be it.
I have planted by the stars in defiance of the experts,
and tilled somewhat by incantation and by singing,
and reaped, as I knew, by luck and Heaven's favor,
in spite of the best advice. If I have been caught
so often laughing at funerals, that was because
I knew the dead were already slipping away,
preparing a comeback, and can I help it?
And if at weddings I have gritted and gnashed
my teeth, it was because I knew where the bridegroom
had sunk his manhood, and knew it would not
be resurrected by a piece of cake. ‘Dance,’ they told me,
and I stood still, and while they stood
quiet in line at the gate of the Kingdom, I danced.
‘Pray,’ they said, and I laughed, covering myself
in the earth's brightnesses, and then stole off gray
into the midst of a revel, and prayed like an orphan.
When they said, ‘I know my Redeemer liveth,’
I told them, ‘He's dead.’ And when they told me
‘God is dead,’ I answered, ‘He goes fishing every day
in the Kentucky River. I see Him often.’
When they asked me would I like to contribute
I said no, and when they had collected
more than they needed, I gave them as much as I had.
When they asked me to join them I wouldn't,
and then went off by myself and did more
than they would have asked. ‘Well, then,’ they said
‘go and organize the International Brotherhood
of Contraries,’ and I said, ‘Did you finish killing
everybody who was against peace?’ So be it.
Going against men, I have heard at times a deep harmony
thrumming in the mixture, and when they ask me what
I say I don't know. It is not the only or the easiest
way to come to the truth. It is one way.

The Contrariness of the Mad Farmer
by Wendell Berry