PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I picked up a briar pipe, (I believe it's ethier a Savenilli or a Peterson) from a ad on Craigslist. I met the gal and took it home, while inspecting it, it had a different smell to it...After consulting another person, we came to the conclusion that she had used it to smoke pot. So I started to clean it...

I reamed the bowl twice, used Arango Pipe Spray twice, soaked the stem in alcohol (for 1 hour) then cleaned that with a bristle pipe cleaner twice..then i went back after a couple of days and re-cleaned it all over again (no reaming the bowl this time)...and it still reeks of pot...Now I wouldn't mind, but I don't smoke pot and I don't need any pot in my body...

Now for the questions...
Can I soak the bowl in alcohol to get rid of the smell?

Is there THC in the briar, that when smoked can get into my body?

What other options, other than sending the pipe to a professional, can I do to rid the pipe of the pot?
Thanks

Jul 12, 2011
I would say that the briar is "soaked" with Marijuana resin and oils, very bad...most smokers of Marijuana

use glass pipes for this very same reason...so not sure there is much hope for that pipe

with regards to getting rid of that ghost

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Here's my thought. You'll never get that crap out of it completely and if you ever found yourself in a situation where someone might question what you're smoking in that pipe (it happened to Shawn622) the pipe might test positive in the field and all the explaining about Craigslist in the world isn't gonna keep them from having you try on some bracelets and taking a fun ride in a cop car.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I'd try the salt treatment, I had one that had something else in it, so I filled it with none iodized salt and added just enough 80 proof Skyy vodka to get it a little wet. Let it soak over night, then rinsed all that out and let it dry a couple of days. Now it smokes as good as any and taste like it is supposed to.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Walker Briar Works does an Ozone cleaning but I'm not sure that would really rid the thing of this problem.

There is, however, a chance that THIS method outlined by G.L. Pease that stands a chance of saving it. It does seem to be the most likely solution in my opinion.
I wish you the best of luck!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
All this for a pipe that you can't tell if it's a Peterson or a Savinelli?

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Bigvan... The pipe is at home and not on me...I'm gonna try the salt method maybe a few times... Hopefully that will work, if not the it will be up for grabs here??!!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Use the method of GL Pease for getting rid of the ghost. He claims it is much more effective than the salt and alcohol treatment.

http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Spot.html
Also I wouldn't be taking that pipe outside the house because if an officer ever confiscates your pipe, it could test positive for THC and then you would go to jail for possession.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Does anyone think if I use salt instead of the charcoal in mr peases oven trick will work?? Or should I go buy some charcoal?

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
How much did the pipe cost? Is it worth anything on resale? Is it worth a lot of work?
These are the questions I would be asking myself. If not it would go in the bin, or on the fire.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
...I'm gonna try the salt method maybe a few times... Hopefully that will work, if not the it will be up for grabs here??!!
It ghosts of marijuana and smokes terrible even after cleaning and, if you don't like it, you are going to pass it along to another member of this fine forum????
NO THANKS !!!!!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Bigmike... Well maybe someone else will have better luck at it that I did, or they don't care what was previously smoked in it... If I wasn't licenses by my state then I wouldn't care...of course I would still clean the heck out of it...
I guess it could be worse, she could of smoked heroin out of it??

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
This is something I've not encountered while restoring a pipe. :rofl:
Seriously, reference the article by G.L. Pease. This is a method used for extreme ghosting. Like he writes, make sure there is little to no cake, even if that means taking it down to the bare wood. Also, check the inner stem/mortise area for gunk. If the charcoal method does not work, the only method more extreme than that is the aforementioned ozone and, right now, Dave Walker is the guy to go for that one. His price for it is reasonable.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
It's a savinelli Roma 622KS

A great looking pipe... I'm gonna buy charcoal today and bake it tomorrow
I emailed about the ozone treatment, and it's only 5 bucks per pipe.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I think you can actually buy test strips to test for marijuana. Do the GL Pease cleaning with all the reaming and carbon and stuff and soak the stem in bleach. Then after it's dried out and you've had a couple bowls, test it for THC. It would actually be a good subject for an article and keep future good pipes out of the trash, if you can de-pot a briar pipe!
Think about when Irish got his pipes stolen. Imagine if the cops got his pipes back and he was able to de-crackhead his pipes and smoke them again!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
If you can't clean it I'd take it, in my opinion despite extreme cleaning any police canine would still be able smell it to some degree. No science backing up my statement lol

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I recently found an old CAO meer from my wilder days in the 60s and 70s. After reaming and several Everclear and salt treatments I was able exorcise the ghosts of my misbegotten youth and restore it to a great member of my regular rotation. Maybe it will work for you.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
If you use the USPS mail system to commit a crime, I'm pretty sure it is a felony. Mailing a pipe to someone, if it gets tested positive for THC, could get you into a lot of trouble, especially if it crosses state lines. With that being said, I don't think you should try to sell it to someone here, because it would be breaking a law just to own this pipe should it test positive for THC. Nothing personal, you just have a "hot" pipe and I would urge you not to mail it to anyone and to not take it out into public.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I doubt very seriously any of the above regarding the mail.
THC is fat soluable. If you ream or retort the cake to nil, I can't see any reason it would "soak "into briar, it not being an oil or liquid
Your ghosts are likely of the normal variety, and a solid cleaning is the best idea. I wouldn't worry about THC. after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.