PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
A flavor like Latkia can leave a strong taste that lingers in the pipe and can affect the experience of another tobacco. I recently dedicated pipes to euros and aros. But for awhile I didn't and I didn't notice any ghosting (no powerhouse tobacco). My question is how significant is ghosting and how powerful does a tobacco need to be? Example would a strong lat really be pronounced if I smoked a lighter oriental. Or is this difference only experienced by those that can smell 100 different scents during a smoking session?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Latakia ghosts are strong. I think the only thing worse is a Lakeland ghost. I only smoke Va, Vaper and Vabur flakes so any type of Latakia or Lakeland will ruin my pipes. I have been trying an experiment using an aromatic like Cult Blood Red Moon to get rid of a ghost. Normally I just use moist coffee grounds but I think the aromatics might be a bit faster or I am just dreaming.

Reactions: Kal

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seven or eight pipes is all you need for a rotation. If you have twenty or more, that is more than enough. My father only owned one pipe at a time, smoking from after breakfast to bedtime, always Granger, when he burnt out a pipe, he'd buy another. Sometimes he had a functional burn-out as a back-up, but often not. He smoked from about age 15 until 65, then quit cold turkey when he took a job at a non-smoking campus. He died a 89 licensed to drive without glasses.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Thank ya..
Well, if I can find a large enough corncob to sit in the yard I won't worry about it much. j/k sry a cornhusker slip.
Guess I'll get them in time. To be honest, I never thought I'd ever be sitting at a computer admiring pipes.
you'll find that its a bad habit that grows and messes with your wallet
If you are a pipe smoker now - you definitely need a good briar, a cob and or a meerschaum
that'll do ya

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
you definitely need a good briar, a cob and or a meerschaum
that'll do ya

I have 2 pretty good Briers, a savinelli and a Mastro De Paja Pompei. LOL booth ordered for a reason and looks.
Ordering another today trying to decide between 3. Also 4 Corncobs, I really like them.
As for tobacco, I haven't found a single aromatic that I'd buy again. I did order 1oz of Peter stokkebye English oriental I like very much. So I guess I'll try a bunch of samples of English blends.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I have 2 pretty good Briers, a savinelli and a Mastro De Paja Pompei. LOL booth ordered for a reason and looks.
Ordering another today trying to decide between 3. Also 4 Corncobs, I really like them.
As for tobacco, I haven't found a single aromatic that I'd buy again. I did order 1oz of Peter stokkebye English oriental I like very much. So I guess I'll try a bunch of samples of English blends.
i'm an english man myself - you like cigars - order some cigar leaf blends -

Reactions: Sgetz and Kal

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
The way to do it correctly is the way that you enjoy smoking. Cobs are good for resisting ghosts, as is meerschaum. But cobs aren't immune. Cobs are also good for smoking several bowls a day. I've heard meerschaum has the same properties, but I don't have first hand knowledge.

Over the course of my own pipe smoking journey, the rotation has built itself up organically. Ooh, I like that one, wow I am getting this one. Next thing I know, I have 20something pipes and the rotation takes care of itself.

As far as your pipe rotation, that's tricky to advise, what with the YMMV factor. Me, I have pipes dedicated to aros, Lakeland, Virginia, and English. In the Virginia pipes I try to smoke only Virginia and vapers, those seem to be the most heavily influenced by ghosting. The others tend to leave ghosts.

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
Over the course of my own pipe smoking journey, the rotation has built itself up organically. Ooh, I like that one, wow I am getting this one. Next thing I know, I have 20something pipes and the rotation takes care of itself.
Lol. I'm finding that out now. In your words "Ooh, I like that one" happens to often. So far only one brand didn't live up to it's hype (reviews). Savinelli I really like, so ended up ordering 3 of their lower priced pipes.
Ah welp it's addicting. -:)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Depends upon the tobacco. Captain Black Grape..... that’ll ghost anything and everything it comes near. It’s like “The Funk” episode of Seinfeld.?
I tried a sample, and the pipe I smoked it in required two salt baths and STILL had a lingering ghost effect.?
Visions of Celephäis will leave a stronger grape ghost.

Reactions: Kal and Charlie718