PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
Ok, I've smoked cigars for years and years. Decided to pick up a pipe (bad choice due to defective pipe). But I was wondering how many pipes you rotate in a, say week. The reason I'm asking is cause I read someplace to rotate them. :)
Yeah, I like to sit outside and smoke for hours with my Macaw.

Thanks yall

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I don't smoke enough to really need to a rotation of pipes. I still have 9 pipes just because I like to have a choice and to be able to smoke only certain tobacco types in different pipes so the flavour doesn't carry over.

The common thought on pipe rotation is that you should let a pipe rest for 24 hours after smoking it to let it dry out completely. Some will do this after every smoke, some will do this after smoking the same pipe for a whole day. And some will say that the idea of a rotation is just a marketing thing to get people to buy more pipes and a pipe doesn't really need to rest between smokes.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Thank ya..
Well, if I can find a large enough corncob to sit in the yard I won't worry about it much. j/k sry a cornhusker slip.
Guess I'll get them in time. To be honest, I never thought I'd ever be sitting at a computer admiring pipes.
A corn cob pipe is actually a great way to start without breaking the bank. There are many forum members here that prefer them over briar (wood) pipes.

Aug 1, 2012
I've rotated pipes and smoked one several times in a couple days. Really there was very little difference to me as a relatively new pipe smoker. In the end, it comes down to what you prefer.

If you smoke a lot, I would have about 7 for a week's rotation.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke 4-6 bowls a day and rest every pipe for at least one to two days each. I clean the piss out of every pipe I own too with in an inch of it's life and then let it dry a day or two. Any time I pick a pipe too smoke I know it is going to be clean and dry and ready to smoke. I never have to worry if it is clean and ready to smoke.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Some do, some don't. I sometimes smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for weeks at a time, cleaning after each smoke, before switching.
Embers didn't mention that he mostly smokes meers these days. Meers are more forgiving of "abuse" (sorry, frequent use) ?

I'm a weekend smoker and have way more pipes than needed. So much so most get smoked only every few months. Back in the days when I only had a couple of pipes, I noticed that some smokes were plain unenjoyable. All changed when I bought a few more and allowed them to rest and dry out between smokes. I was quite a wet smoker in those early days.

Like giving your favourite pair of sneakers some air and dry-time rather than wearing them day in and out

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
I've rotated pipes and smoked one several times in a couple days. Really there was very little difference to me as a relatively new pipe smoker. In the end, it comes down to what you prefer.

That's actually what I was thinking.

That sounds not bad, picked up 2 nice pipes for when I'm out an about. The rest are corncob, I do like them.
My brigham (1st pipe) it was as if I'm trying to inflate a darn flat tire. Ordered 2 other brands I hope is better.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Thank ya..
Well, if I can find a large enough corncob to sit in the yard I won't worry about it much. j/k sry a cornhusker slip.
Guess I'll get them in time. To be honest, I never thought I'd ever be sitting at a computer admiring pipes.
Welcome and same here lol.

Reactions: Kal
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Never found the need for a rotation to be anything more than a myth, probably put forward by pipe manufacturers back in the day to up sales. I found it more important to have pipes for certain “genres” of blends to avoid lingering tastes. For example, you might not want to smoke a delicate straight Virginia in the same pipe in which you just smoked a heavy Latakia blend.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I think the whole “rotation” was a conspiracy of the manufacturers (to sell more pipes, obviously) and the portion of the pipe community with PAD (of which;admittedly, I am one) as a way of justifying their rather large collection. (I’ve pared down my collection, but still have north of 80 pipes, probably 90% of which I smoke regularly).

Old codgers never rotated pipes, but seeing a codger Estate, you see the results. Massive amounts of cake buildup, sometimes Tim damage, and really discolored stems.

If you like to keep things near pristine, then a rotation is a must. If you don’t care, 1 or 2 will suffice. *Ive a favorite pipe I smoke near every day, but I clean it after every use, I polish it twice a month, and generally take good care of it. No burn through or visible detriment to the pipe. It’s a workhorse. But I smoke two or three bowls a day, so I rotate other pipes in for that second and third bowl.

I definitely have PAD, I’m a Pete but, and cover the 05 shape. I also find an excuse to buy its derivatives (the 05S, XL11, 305 and XL315) as the 05 isn’t offered in every line. ? If they weren’t being used, I’d be a hoarder, but since they are being used, I just refer to myself as a collector.?

Beware, if you’ve an addictive personality, PAD and TAD can really sneak up on you.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I have 50/50 English and aros. My most expensive pipe is 50$. I decated to for euros, 3 for areas. 2 corn cob for whatever. 7 total. I smoke all day rotating and cleaning every couple times. No issue ever x,,even when it's hot. I never have a problem. If you want a large hour smoke bowl go for the Missouri Meerschaum wizard in the cobbit collection. It's a churchwarden, my first, and it chuggs like a freight train, smooth cool smoke and a sh..load of beautiful smoke. 29 $ ridiculous bargain for the price and quality smoke.

Reactions: Kal

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I definitely have PAD, I’m a Pete but, and cover the 05 shape. I also find an excuse to buy its derivatives (the 05S, XL11, 305 and XL315) as the 05 isn’t offered in every line. ? If they weren’t being used, I’d be a hoarder, but since they are being used, I just refer to myself as a collector.?
Shape collecting can get bad, this used to be me.

20201129_190538.jpg

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I have 3 boxes with 7 briars in each. I also have around a dozen cobs. I use one box each week and don't really worry about how much each pipe is smoked. I do designate some pipes for Virginia based tobaccos/blends and others for Burley/English, but I will occasionally break those boundaries. I don't smoke any blends that I believe will ghost a pipe.