PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Is this stuff still available in the states since I began smoking pipe so many of their blends intrigue me but alas little to none seem to be available?

10 of the 16 blends containing Malawi on SP are from these blenders and only the Kendal dark and classic cut are available what gives?

can I expect them to come back around or do I have to cross the pond and stock up? Once I do can I bring this stuff back?

Reactions: kcghost

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Is this stuff still available in the states since I began smoking pipe so many of their blends intrigue me but alas little to none seem to be available?

10 of the 16 blends containing Malawi on SP are from these blenders and only the Kendal dark and classic cut are available what gives?

can I expect them to come back around or do I have to cross the pond and stock up? Once I do can I bring this stuff back?

Ennerdale tins have been available at ~$10 at SP for quite a while.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
From what I can gather, the US stocks get snapped up pretty quick (and there is endless bitching about it). Flying over to the UK and stocking up might be an idea, but I don't know how US customs would feel about it, so I'd suggest you check that out before blowing all your money.

Reactions: vosBghos

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
I ve heard that some company bought SG and they are not too much interested in tobacco..I think the same company(I am not 100%sure) bought Comoy's so there are no new Comoys pipes and tobaccos being made...
Gawaith Hogarth bought SG to keep them producing tobacco. Comoy have been a brand of Cadogan since 1980, along with BBB, GBD and Barling. All of these brands are considered to have declined under their stewardship, but making pipes is a core component of the business.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I ve heard that some company bought SG and they are not too much interested in tobacco..I think the same company(I am not 100%sure) bought Comoy's so there are no new Comoys pipes and tobaccos being made...
Yeah, none of that is correct. Seriously, how do these silly rumors get started when a simple search will provide a factual answer?

As for availability, the Gawith operation is based on making their blends using the same methods they have used for over 220 years to maintain the quality of their products. They're not going to sell crap to put more out faster I believe that they have expanded capacity, but demand has also expanded, as have Asian markets for their goods. There was a large drop earlier this year and smaller drops since, after a long drought.
Eventually there will be another good sized drop. So stay alert.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Yeah, none of that is correct. Seriously, how do these silly rumors get started when a simple search will provide a factual answer?

As for availability, the Gawith operation is based on making their blends using the same methods they have used for over 220 years to maintain the quality of their products. They're not going to sell crap to put more out faster I believe that they have expanded capacity, but demand has also expanded, as have Asian markets for their goods. There was a large drop earlier this year and smaller drops since, after a long drought.
Eventually there will be another good sized drop. So stay alert.
I have heard it personally at the pipe show...They told me about Comoy as well..It may be a different company who bought Comoy's but they mentioned SG got same problems ..some info you just can not find online.....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Gawaith Hogarth bought SG to keep them producing tobacco. Comoy have been a brand of Cadogan since 1980, along with BBB, GBD and Barling. All of these brands are considered to have declined under their stewardship, but making pipes is a core component of the business.
Have you seen new Comoy pipes or tobacco for sale this year?I have talk to people from Chacom from Europe at the show and they mentioned some large company bought Comoy recently and they are not interested in making pipes right now or no more...they mentioned that SGawith got a similar problem..so who knows.....

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Have you seen new Comoy pipes or tobacco for sale this year?I have talk to people from Chacom from Europe at the show and they mentioned some large company bought Comoy recently and they are not interested in making pipes right now or no more...they mentioned that SGawith got a similar problem..so who knows.....
There has been no disruption of supply coming out of the Gawith factory in the Uk.SG blends are still readily available on the main online retailers.So I would imagine it’s the usual distribution issues to both Europe and the US.