PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Factory made? for some reason I thought they made them??? Now they have their name on all sorts of stuff. Annoying..
He's always stated that they're made in a factory in Italy.
As for having their name on things I don't find that annoying. I'm a huge Peterson fan. If Peterson came out with t-shirts and hats and shot glasses I'd be buying those because I love the brand.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Yep, they seem to have the marketing down!
These guys are marketing machines, for sure!
To see the buzz they created in Chicago... You almost needed a crowbar to pry your way up to their table.
If I had their marketing chops, I would be a bazillionaire by now!

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
As for having their name on things I don't find that annoying. I'm a huge Peterson fan. If Peterson came out with t-shirts and hats and shot glasses I'd be buying those because I love the brand.
A new and interesting phenomenon that I encountered at the Chicago show this year was running into a few folks who were more interested in acquiring pipe related t-shirts and headwear, than they were in collecting pipes...

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I too am a little sad to see them ripping off Powell-Peralta, Bonehed. It's one thing to try and make it in a hobby you love, it's quite another to take from an artist/homegrown skateboard company.

Dec 24, 2012
I would suggest that all these guys are ripping off Blackbeard the Pirate. Seriously though, the use of a skull in a logo is hardly something new or novel. I am with the Dagners on this one.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Peck sir, that is a direct copy of a classic piece of art from my youth. I am afraid you are incorrect on this one, anyone familiar with the original work can see it is a direct copy with a small change done in photoshop or illustrator. Imagine if someone could take from you the fruits of your law skills without compensation. When the line work is identical, you are stealing something someone worked their whole life to create. Becoming one of the best and most celebrated artists in a field does not happen over night. I was a clothing production manager and worked with many of these artists who worked this field and they suffer these insults both personally and financially too often. Theft is theft, the Dagners used that image because of how iconic it is, not in ignorance of that fact. If it is nothing to create an image then it would be nothing for them to have created their own but that is not the case here and anyone familiar with P&P would be instantly aware of it.

Dec 24, 2012
Well I am confused then Daimyo. The only logo shown here was the one bonehed linked to above, and I am sorry, but don't see the similarity other than a skull.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The skull is identical, the ripped fabric is identical, the hands (shape, exact outlines, proportions and shading) are identical. They didn't even bother changing the signature eyes. They have simply added the hat, pipe and goatee to an existing piece of very well known art. Possibly one of the most iconic in the entire history of skateboarding. This isn't some classic work to which no one owns the rights, it is an active design of an existing business.
http://dagnerpipes.com/product/captain-shirt/

Dec 24, 2012
That does look similar Daimyo. I had not seen that logo. I thought this was their logo:
mKVszfY.jpg

In any event, if this company has registered this trademark (and if the Dagners do not have permission to use it) then they should seek legal recourse. That really is none of our business (or at least none of mine).

May 31, 2012
Rip the Ripper is indeed an iconic graphic, but what Dagner is doing is an homage - there were modifications to the original design --- in fact, 'ol Rip has been copied, spoofed, and parodied so widespread that a quick google search will ooze mucho results...
...P/P even invited artists to interpret it and made a book about it...

http://powell-peralta.com/rip-the-ripper-book-hardcover
P/P may have started off as a homegrown company, but they grew into an arrogant behemoth over time, so much so that in the early 90's they were ridiculing the smaller companies that were starting to sprout up,

the infamous Powell vs. Blind ads were pretty funny though...
2ASI1an.jpg

fR4AOE1.png

I'm with Gonzo,

who,

in this case,

is Dagner!

:P
InbCdN7.png

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
You are not profiting from the use of his photo Peck. Misterlowercase this is not a homage, if you like I can link at least 50 respectful artists who did actual homages. A homage would be to hire a competent artist to use the original as the basis for a similar design. They did not do that, they simply added poor graphics on top using a computer. Sadly you are correct that this is likely enough to keep P&P from legal recourse or at least successful legal recourse. Theft is theft and despite what anyone thinks about what P&P became, they deserve to own their intellectual property. Sadly our courts are not set up to protect artists and graphic designers. Simply stealing art and adding some crap to it is often enough to avoid anything beyond a cease and desist. Vernon Courtlandt Johnson is the real looser because unlike companies such as the Dagners, P&P did pay him for the art work. Again, theft is theft no matter how common the practice or actionable the theft.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Are you kidding, a Pecker is the only thing I'll stick in my mouth!
As an aside, having worked in the clothing industry I am sensitive to the theft that has become prevalent in the industry. It is truly the ground level artist that suffers and even highly successful ones have trouble protecting their work. Sadly, millions who benefit from being surrounded by amazing art have come to take it for granted and not many people care about artists receiving their due for their lives work. I will end my rant now.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Daimyo, thanks for the info. I'm with you on this, the resemblance of the artwork is plain as day.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Regardless, the skull motif is so played out. In this context it seems contrived and stilted. They are just too cool. Dagner "skull" pipes sounds like something from an inbred reality show. In the end, if it adds to the ranks of pipe smokers we all potentially benefit. At to quote Don King again, Only in America.

May 31, 2012
N3enjnn.png

1JSHAzu.png
Warhol's famous Campbell's Soup Cans are generally held to be non-infringing, despite being clearly appropriated, because "the public was unlikely to see the painting as sponsored by the soup company or representing a competing product. Paintings and soup cans are not in themselves competing products", according to expert trademark lawyer Jerome Gilson.
Welcome to the 21st century --- appropriation in the arts is nearly mandatory nowadays. Copying has always been a large part of the artists toolkit anyway, after another, swipe files are very large and always have been.
One of the surest tests (of the superiority or inferiority of a poet) is the way in which a poet borrows. Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole of feeling which is unique, utterly different than that from which it is torn; the bad poet throws it into something which has no cohesion. A good poet will usually borrow from authors remote in time, or alien in language, or diverse in interest.
(in short:

"bad poets borrow, good poets steal")
- T.S. Eliot
One of the most interesting monographs on this topic is called Deconstructing Roy Lichtenstein where the original comic art panel is positioned next to the "fine high art painting":

http://davidbarsalou.homestead.com/lichtensteinproject.html
Like it or not, we live in a remix culture, and that fact should be obvious to anyone who is culturally attentive.

mickey-smiley.gif

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Just because I am aware of something doesn't mean I like theft. I have a lot more respect for someone like Ron English and the like, who would have actually repainted the art instead of cheap and lazy theft plus Photoshop, while actually adding some artistic message. Popular does not equate to quality or ethics. I was in this field and there is still a difference between inspiration and theft. Of course theft is easier and you don't have to pay a new artist or the original one.

Status
Not open for further replies.