PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I know this is somewhat of a hot topic... :puffy:

I shall willingly admit that I like the look of some of the Dagner's pipes. I'm contemplating ordering a rusticated brown poker. Has anyone here (who dares admit it) smoked a Dagner? Are they quality pipes or are they internet hype?

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I've neither owned one nor smoked one, but I did get a good first hand look at the pipes they brought to the Chicago show. These are factory pipes priced at around $100, and the quality is on par with factory pipes that sell for around $100. That's all I can tell you...

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Just watched the "Quality Control" video, stem goes in the mouth...sanitary? Think McFly, think! Otherwise, no opinions, shapes look ok...

Dec 24, 2012
I think Walt nailed it. I was pretty skeptical about these pipes, but looked at one at the show and I think you are getting a decent pipe for what you are paying, provided the shapes appeal to you. I think you could probably get better value for the same money by looking at an estate pipe, but that is always the case, and if you want a "new" pipe then i don't think you are likely to be horribly unhappy at that price point.
I should also say that I do have a bit of respect for the Dagners now after seeing them in action at the Chicago show. They sure know how to market and I truthfully think they are actually good for the hobby. They are bringing new people into pipesmoking, and that's not a bad thing for all concerned.
Interesting that they did a slick video montage of the show. I actually went online to find it because I saw them filming it while I was there and I was curious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PwD55LhGH0

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I agree. Positive influence overall. Just anarchistic enough to be simpatico. There was a song I hear in that montage, which was filmed and edited I believe, by OneManSmoke..which rips off Neil Young's Helpless. It's got a slightly faster pace but you can hear the same progressions..

If you want to see the 'crew' trying to accomplish a reasonably informative review of a beer and tobacco pairing, be ready for a train wreck. Just fascinates me that I will sit and watch that stuff.

it's called beer and backy reviews...

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
I own a series 1 blue collar poker, it is a very fine pipe indeed. Very happy with it, smokes great.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I've never heard of this brand before...
Anyone up to giving a quick run down / synopses of who they are?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I also don't have one but looked at them in Chicago. I thought they looked cool too. The shot glass poker is pretty cool and if you were buying one at the show they gave you a shot of Maker's Mark and probably drank one with you. Love it! I thought their pipes looked worth the money and every person I talked to was very friendly and personable. I agree that they are good for the hobby.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Anyone up to giving a quick run down / synopses of who they are?
From what I know Jay and Jason Dagner are a father/son YouTube pipe presenter team. Eventually they approached a factory in Italy about making an affordable line of pipes in shapes he liked, because factories don't tend to have a lot of the pokers whiskey barrels etc. that he likes. He also wanted to be able to market the pipes to your average Joe blue collar workin' man.
I haven't seen them in person. Hoping to be able to in November at the West Coast Show. I do like the Dublin in their first series and the new Shot Glass Poker in the second series.
I've only heard good reviews about them. Just about everyone that's bought one and reviewed it on Instagram or YouTube rave about it. Great quality for the price seems to be the popular response.
They all seem to be positive and for the growth of the hobby. Very supportive. I personally think they're good for the hobby.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Well then, I guess it's safe to assume that they're not all hype.

sorry for not adding the website link.

Dec 24, 2012
I think Kevin should have the Dagners on the radio show. Might be interesting. They are filling a niche in the hobby, there is no doubt about that.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"These are factory pipes priced at around $100, and the quality is on par with factory pipes that sell for around $100."

"Anyone up to giving a quick run down / synopses of who they are?"

That is a crowded field, factory $100 +/- pipes. As noted, they apparently appeal to a niche market that is not being served. They come off as course foul-mouthed yahoos that like the so played-out skull motif on everything. Too "cool" for me. I am coming out with an adult diaper line with skulls on them. Since I am old and find that if a third of your vocabulary is a F-bomb, I find them tedious. Don't doubt they may be adding to the ranks of pipe smokers which is a good thing. Like Don King says, "Only in America."

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Since I am old and find that if a third of your vocabulary is a F-bomb, I find them tedious.
Swearing doesn't bother me, I play hockey lol. Hockey players make sailors sound like a Sunday school teacher. Most people use um or uh when searching for the next thing to say, hockey players use f**k.
I think Kevin should have the Dagners on the radio show. Might be interesting
I agree, it'd be an interesting episode if the Dagners were on the Radio Show.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Factory made? for some reason I thought they made them??? Now they have their name on all sorts of stuff. Annoying...

Status
Not open for further replies.