PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have my history right that up until the 1960's or so, Dunhill was second to Kaywoodie on the U.S. market in price, and they were both something the average wage earner or salaryman could afford without saving a lot. It is to Dunhill's credit, in a marketing sense, that they successfully ratcheted up their price to that of a professional grade camera or shotgun, far into elite luxury territory. I admire that business acumen more than I do the pipes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think I have my history right that up until the 1960's or so, Dunhill was second to Kaywoodie on the U.S. market in price, and they were both something the average wage earner or salaryman could afford without saving a lot. It is to Dunhill's credit, in a marketing sense, that they successfully ratcheted up their price to that of a professional grade camera or shotgun, far into elite luxury territory. I admire that business acumen more than I do the pipes.
they've been in the game so long that every smoker has heard things about them. And it helps that the name just Stands OUT.

Reactions: BROBS

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
@MSO. Thanks for your historical lesson and sorry if you may now think I too often oppose you? But comparing todays prices for North European high quality pipes to professional cameras, as you mention, then Dunhills suddenly appear ‘affordable’ today? The cameras, you could compare to, are the only and few ones still being made in Germany (Leica), Sweden (Hasselblad) and Denmark (Phase One).
My grand father could buy locally ‘hand made’ all-leather shoes in the 1960’s and he was not wealthy. Now most shoes are made of plastic, partly by robots in Asia, and many of them are ‘expensive’ to most.

Reactions: lightmybriar

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
hate to nitpick, but for Dunhill it's Beezlebub. Starbucks actually went to the top (bottom really) and just made a pact with undistilled evil. I know it's nitpicking but it pays to be accurate.

Nope, You are right. $5.50 for a mocha is undistilled evil. No other way to explain it. It kind of makes Dunhill look like the Teletubbies kind of evil by comparison.

Smoking Pipes visited the London factory last year and blogged about it here. Looks like it was very much in operation.
Well good. Does Laudsi hold the importing rights now?
Back when Music City was the sole importers, they visited my pipe club and gave us the skinny on Dunhill, since they were washing their hands of them.
And, we've had multiple British posters over the years who have said that the factory never had many cars in their parking lot, so they assumed they were only run with a skeleton crew now.

I have no ill will for Dunhills or White Spots. I am not one of these who bash it at all... if you'll check out my record of posting on Dunhill threads. I say that if you like the pipe, then it's worth it.
But, if Laudsi is reporting that they are doing well, then I guess that is that. And,I'm glad to hear it.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.