PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Morning Pipers,

The last pipe tobacco order I made was back in November 2020 and after running low on a few blends I went online to purchase a bunch and noticed at checkout there was an excise tax applied that amounted to 20% of my total order. I was stunned. I did a bit of research and saw that as of 01 January a new excise tax on tobacco products went into affect in Virginia in order to pay for the Virginia Health Care Fund.

I must have been asleep at the pipe on this one because I totally missed this piece of legislation.

Needless to say I cancelled the order...

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Morning Pipers,

The last pipe tobacco order I made was back in November 2020 and after running low on a few blends I went online to purchase a bunch and noticed at checkout there was an excise tax applied that amounted to 20% of my total order. I was stunned. I did a bit of research and saw that as of 01 January a new excise tax on tobacco products went into affect in Virginia in order to pay for the Virginia Health Care Fund.

I must have been asleep at the pipe on this one because I totally missed this piece of legislation.

Needless to say I cancelled the order...
For a jack like that you need to find someone in another state who will receive your orders and then forward them along to you.

Last edited:

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Yeah, I expect the price of everything I enjoy in life to go up dramatically over the next several years and have been buying while the buying is good for a while now.

With regards to pipe tobacco, specifically, I anticipated this day years ago and have a cellar that will likely out live me, but there are still favorites I wanted to top off and a number of new-to-me blends I wanted to try but there's just no way in hell I'm paying a 20% excise tax on them. Others have it worse where they live sure, but out of principal I'm unwilling to pay the "sin tax."

I hope folks will hear the ring of this bell and start/continue/finish their cellars. It indeed is going to get worse.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's just a matter of time before tobacco is totally outlawed.
Not gonna happen. It's unnecessary. Death by a thousand cuts is working just fine. Prohibition doesn't work.

As for the taxes, consider it the cost of doing business and stock up before taxes and prices increase. We're still paying much less than the rest of the planet, with a wider selection that much of the planet.