PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
In the tobacco belt, no less.
Yup for shame. Back in my cigarette days they had the lowest tax on smokes in all of America. Normally when I’m out of state I like to visit their B&M shops. Now that I know this I won’t bother, even though I go to VA often. Glad I live in PA.

Mar 1, 2014
Morning Pipers,

The last pipe tobacco order I made was back in November 2020 and after running low on a few blends I went online to purchase a bunch and noticed at checkout there was an excise tax applied that amounted to 20% of my total order. I was stunned. I did a bit of research and saw that as of 01 January a new excise tax on tobacco products went into affect in Virginia in order to pay for the Virginia Health Care Fund.

I must have been asleep at the pipe on this one because I totally missed this piece of legislation.

Needless to say I cancelled the order...

You're about 80% below the global average for tobacco tax.
And if they're only charging by price then the 20% tax is still practically irrelevant on bulk tobacco, whereas some places tax by weight and trying to buy bulk tobacco only gets you in even more trouble.

• Love
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
You can't even mail order tobacco in Washington state, and a couple others, too (Maine? Utah? New Jersey?). In fact, that annoying law was a major consideration in moving to a state without it. As it happens, I now live in a state with higher tobacco taxes than many other states, but they don't nick me for it at checkout online. Thus, all my purchases come from South Carolina (you know the place). Four years later I've accumulated about 6 additional years of tobacco in my cellar. It's interesting to think that at the rate I smoke -- about a bowl a day -- I only need to spend about $12.50 a month on fine tobacco. But pipes? That's where the real money pit is. Not that I'm complaining.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
You're about 80% below the global average for tobacco tax.
And if they're only charging by price then the 20% tax is still practically irrelevant on bulk tobacco, whereas some places tax by weight and trying to buy bulk tobacco only gets you in even more trouble.

I take your point; however, I live in Virginia and am not overly concerned with the global average for tobacco tax. Sure it might provide a spurt of gratefulness (?) that I don't live in New Zealand or Canada, but at the end of the day it's an additional tax I didn't pay prior and for that it sucks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Legislatures love a sin tax. There's never sufficient push-back from voters on these, and a certain satisfied moral indignation from non-smokers puts bills through. Plus, smokers tend to buy the products anyway, so it pays off. Legislatures are always looking for a bountiful revenue stream, so a sin tax certainly works. Second only to ABC stores, state owned liquor stores. How much of this contributes to the public wellbeing? Suspicion abounds.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian