PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Keep it friendly and genial. No making fun of someone else's atrocious taste in pipes or tobaccos, practice not letting your eyes glaze over when someone just drones on and on, and never, ever, urinate on the samples just because you've smoked and hate them.

I found the last one something of a surprise, but it really is frowned upon in more genteel circles.

Almost forgot, don't pick your nose before helping yourself to a sample.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Try to remain polite to people.
Never discuss politics or religion.
Never bad mouth anyone's choice of pipe or tobacco. From the lowliest cob to the priciest Bo Nordh there all an instrument to consume tobacco.
Try to remember that 80% of pipe tobacco sold in the U.S. is aromatic.
Don't sell anything in the shop unless you compensate the owner. It looks like great place to sell your used pipes and tobaccos but so does the owner of the store. This rule applies to pipes and tobaccos that he doesn't offer.
You don't have to purchase anything but it's nice if you do. I usually buy a cigar and a cola.
Be careful in defense of your right to free speech. Nothing is more maddening than some saying or bellowing out his views and following it up with "I don't care what anybody says".

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Well never been in a pipe club but I have herfed with Cigar guys for the last 20+ years, one group the S.H.I.T. herfers (So Happy It's Thursday because we met every single Thursday night for over a decade), some times we would meet at someone's house, sometimes it would be at a lounge if no one could host or if a new guy was showing up, don't really like to let someone you never met in the house don't cha know.

If we met at one of our houses, most people would bring beer, more than you would drink yourself, don't be a douche and bring two beers and drink 15 that other people brought, the house would have bottles of booze but it never hurt to bring a bottle, bring your own sticks, don't be a "Josh" and show up with nothing and drink other people's booze and bum cigars off them. He didn't last long. The host would supply dinner, either something they cooked, bbq, or order pizza or something like that, after a while we all started chipping in a few bucks just so the host didn't have to pay, 15 guys showing up dinner can get pricey.

If we met at a lounge, we would each buy one or two sticks, then most of us would smoke our own, but seriously buy at least a stick, then everyone drank like fishes so the lounge was happy. 9/10 you buy sticks they don't care if you smoke your own and they don't hit you with a cut fee, unless you are Josh, which was hilarious they would always charge only him the cut fee, it's like the staff knew he was a douche right off the bat.

If we go to a large annual herf at someone's house it's always good to bring a host gift, a nice bottle of wine or something that he could share with the wife, this was always what I liked to do personally, and of course a nice cigar for the host as well.

I'm sure there is more but you can figure it out from there and I'm sure some of it at least translates to pipes as well.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
That's hilarious. Every group needs a Josh.
We don't have a Josh but we do have a ... let's call him Josh for the purpose of this discussion... who joined the club but always just showed up with a basket pipe or two and smoke whatever other club members shared. He would occasionally buy an ounce or two of bulk though. He's the type that if someone brought a bottle of whiskey would always pour himself a half a glass and then go back for more.

Why don't you kick him out of the club, you ask? He hasn't given us a reason for such an action. We have taken someone aside in the past and politely asked them to not come back, but that was because he was caught stealing from another member.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Let's see...
Don't ask to smoke other people's pipes.
Ask before you load your pipe from someone else's tins.
Maybe, don't offer someone else to taste your tobacco by holding your pipe out to them.
Wait until you have hung out with someone at least once before . before making jokes about their weight, baldness, big ears, etc... unless they are aromatic smokers.
Take all fights outside.
Don't leave your wallet unattended.
Don't take wallets left unattended.
Staring at someone for long periods of time is frowned upon.

Hmmm... there may be more...
Much enjoyed guidance 🙏

Reactions: Briar Tuck

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Hello all! If one were to (1) find a pipe club in their area and (2) join said pipe club, what are the general understood rules of clubs? Other than being polite and involved, of course. I assume you should make at least a small purchase from the shop. One tin possibly? And are there any faux pas’ to absolutely avoid. I know they are pretty chill atmospheres generally. But want to be prepared if by chance there is a club in my area. Thank you all for your guidance and expertise. I am very much enjoying this forum so far. I have learned so much already!
The fact that you demonstrate enough presence of mind to ask these question in the first-place, informs me that you will be just fine just being your thoughtful self; and, that any club would welcome you warmly. - Sherm Natman

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
In all seriousness, especially in the South, it is better to avoid talking about religion, politics, or football. All of these can lead to fights that can cause serious riffs in a club or organization. In Alabama, football can lead to more serious fights than anything else. Better to keep your mouth shut.
Go Vols!

Edit: In the south there really isn't anything else to talk about, that's what makes it fun. puffy