PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
Hello all! If one were to (1) find a pipe club in their area and (2) join said pipe club, what are the general understood rules of clubs? Other than being polite and involved, of course. I assume you should make at least a small purchase from the shop. One tin possibly? And are there any faux pas’ to absolutely avoid. I know they are pretty chill atmospheres generally. But want to be prepared if by chance there is a club in my area. Thank you all for your guidance and expertise. I am very much enjoying this forum so far. I have learned so much already!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I think you're on the right track. Being polite and involved, with a spirit of sharing should be all that is required. If you have a nice tin of tobacco to share with your mates, that is a nice thing to do as well.
+1
blackpowderpiper pretty much covered the basics. At the New Orleans Pipe Club, we always have members who bring tobaccos to share with other members. It is also polite to ask if you can try a blend sitting on the table instead of just reaching over and taking it.

The exception to this is when the B&M put's a couple of tins on the table for the club to sample.

Let's see...
Don't ask to smoke other people's pipes.
Ask before you load your pipe from someone else's tins.
Maybe, don't offer someone else to taste your tobacco by holding your pipe out to them.
Wait until you have hung out with someone at least once before . before making jokes about their weight, baldness, big ears, etc... unless they are aromatic smokers.
Take all fights outside.
Don't leave your wallet unattended.
Don't take wallets left unattended.
Staring at someone for long periods of time is frowned upon.

Hmmm... there may be more...

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Trying so hard not to make a "first rule of pipe club" joke...

A courtesy purchase from the he host shop is kind, but not expected (at my pipe club, anyways). Particularly if it's a shop you frequent.

Tobacco is shared, pipes are not. Folks may pass around pipes, even lit ones, to show off the grain or whatever. Examine it appreciatively, but don't bring it to your mouth.

If you cuss between every other word, maybe don't talk as much.
Selling life insurance or car warrantees during the meeting is not cool.
You wouldn't think it, but keeping your pants on throughout the entire meeting is sort of an unspoken rule.
While, you may be able to take your shoes off, taking someone else's shoes off isn't normal.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Let's see...
Maybe, don't offer someone else to taste your tobacco by holding your pipe out to them.
Wait until you have hung out with someone at least once before . before making jokes about their weight, baldness, big ears, etc... unless they are aromatic smokers.
Take all fights outside.

Can we stare at aromatic smokers??

I was the president (I like to think of it as Emperor) of our Magic City Pipe Club for four years. Pipe clubs are a lot of fun, and i highly encourage everyone getting involved. But, little did I know that once they put you in charge, your stuck with it... FOREVER or... till you decide to stop going. So, it is better not to be the leader, especially of you enjoy going to the meetings.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Let's see...
Take all fights outside.

One more : don’t eat baked beans before meeting can effect tobac room note !

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I was the president (I like to think of it as Emperor) of our Magic City Pipe Club for four years. Pipe clubs are a lot of fun, and i highly encourage everyone getting involved. But, little did I know that once they put you in charge, your stuck with it... FOREVER or... till you decide to stop going. So, it is better not to be the leader, especially of you enjoy going to the meetings.
Been there, done that, still considered the "president" of the pipe club.

Did you ever notice everyone felt free to express their opinion or criticize your decision until you offer to step aside and let them run the pipe club?

Did you ever notice everyone felt free to express their opinion or criticize your decision until you offer to step aside and let them run the pipe club?
No one ever criticized me, but of course I carried a shotgun and a whip strapped to my belt. Ha ha.

I tried to always have a speaker from the tobacco industry or a pipe maker, importer, or company rep. Skip helped me source people, it's not like I knew any of these people. And, if I could get a speaker, I would try to have something lined up like an ugly pipe swap, tobacco blending contest,... but, I had my three other people I could always count on to always be at a meeting, super guys... even if we just met a restaurant to eat and smoke.

I wouldn't say that I was a great president, but I did always feel it was my duty to make sure that each meeting had some activity, and I took it personal if someone seemed to be having a negative time.

I may have just been lucky to have been surrounded by so many positive people, with a few meetings reaching almost 50 people, maybe more... who's counting?

Notice that I didn't say anything negative... puffy Now, if whichever of you stole my Jess Chonowitsch blasted brandy would you just please give it back!

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
My pipe club is hosted by a B@M, very layed back. But you should arrive early because the leather chairs go fast, we have a retired Dr. And he always welcomes free consults, most clubs do not have a dress code, so leave your velvet smoking jacket home. Many have lots of tobac samples, better to bring booze. , use ashtrays not trash cans for fire protection, at our club the owners openly carry handguns so we don’t worry about security. Most clubs welcome new members warmly to expand the ranks, relax we are all brothers of the pipe.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
In all seriousness, especially in the South, it is better to avoid talking about religion, politics, or football. All of these can lead to fights that can cause serious riffs in a club or organization. In Alabama, football can lead to more serious fights than anything else. Better to keep your mouth shut.
Simply, be polite. Talk about neutral subjects (weather) until you get to know the person better. Work your way up to the topics with more bite to them. Good etiquette for every day life.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
I do think there is something to be said for awareness of the B&M in which the club may be meeting. The local here is small and it is a sort of politeness to make a small purchase, maybe a tin. As one member said, "I figure the price of a tin pays for my seat in the room and the a/c and heat" and at this shop, the free coffee.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
If you cuss between every other word, maybe don't talk as much.
Selling life insurance or car warrantees during the meeting is not cool.
You wouldn't think it, but keeping your pants on throughout the entire meeting is sort of an unspoken rule.
While, you may be able to take your shoes off, taking someone else's shoes off isn't normal.
I'm surprised they let you hang out at the briary as long as they did.....

There's always rules for a reason....