PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
Ok! I would absolutely have looked at it as price of admission, regardless of the fact that I’m a pretty loyal customer. Thank you! Though, to be fair, if there’s bourbon / whiskey at a B&M I’ll probably end up spending more than enough for a seat at the table"

I am OK with the idea of "price of admission" as long as it fits your budget at the moment. If someone is younger, with kids, and maybe their sweetheart is less than thrilled with the pipe smoking to begin with, then I get not pushing your luck by dropping $50 on a couple of tins of tobacco. I'll usually ask other smokers at the event if there is a tin they love that maybe I haven't heard of, or barring that, pick up something I already love to cellar for a few years.

I totally disagree with cosmicfolklore however. If you REALLY like a tobacco, the best way to introduce someone else to it is to throw them to the ground, put your knee in their chest, shove your spit wet bent apple into their mouth, all while screaming "Do you get notes of honey and tree bark?!?!" into their face as loudly as you can. That is kind of pipe meet 101, and I'm surprised someone as experienced as cosmicfolklore doesn't know that frankly. That is why we are all here though, to learn from each other.

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
I am OK with the idea of "price of admission" as long as it fits your budget at the moment. If someone is younger, with kids, and maybe their sweetheart is less than thrilled with the pipe smoking to begin with, then I get not pushing your luck by dropping $50 on a couple of tins of tobacco. I'll usually ask other smokers at the event if there is a tin they love that maybe I haven't heard of, or barring that, pick up something I already love to cellar for a few years.

I totally disagree with cosmicfolklore however. If you REALLY like a tobacco, the best way to introduce someone else to it is to throw them to the ground, put your knee in their chest, shove your spit wet bent apple into their mouth, all while screaming "Do you get notes of honey and tree bark?!?!" into their face as loudly as you can. That is kind of pipe meet 101, and I'm surprised someone as experienced as cosmicfolklore doesn't know that frankly. That is why we are all here though, to learn from each other.
Well now you have me nervous going to your pipe club today!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Ali, When you get to the first meeting, its important to establish dominance. Walk up to the guy with the most expensive looking pipe and hit him in the back with a folding chair. That will let them know not to mess with you. I saw it in a prison movie but I'm sure the skills are transferable.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
If you cuss between every other word, maybe don't talk as much.
Selling life insurance or car warrantees during the meeting is not cool.
You wouldn't think it, but keeping your pants on throughout the entire meeting is sort of an unspoken rule.
While, you may be able to take your shoes off, taking someone else's shoes off isn't normal.
Or testing their room note once the shoes are off!

No such clubs around here so just me and the dogs!

Only rule is whatever they want comes first!