PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to be the humorless Harry, but back to the question on purchases, I don't think pipe clubs held in pipe shops (which aren't all of them) expect everyone to purchase something at every meeting. The shop owner assumes that having a club meet in the shop is good for trade. So do what is possible to buy something now and then. But don't treat it as the price of admission.

If you buy something when the club isn't meeting, it's politic to mention that you are a club member, so the shop knows the club is good for business, just as a reminder.

But don't treat it as the price of admission.
Technically, you are correct, but usually club meetings are held after hours and they have to pay to keep the lights on a little later. So, while they may not punch you in the nose... it definitely comes across as disrespectful and thoughtless.
Plus, try walking into a cigar lounge and smoking your own cigar without buying one. Cigar guys don't worry about looking like bullies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It's not mandatory for anyone to buy anything during a meeting at the B&M but most of us do make purchases of a tin or couple of ounces of bulk.

The B&M does a raffle for those who do make a purchase equivalent to the cost of a tin or two ounces of bulk. The prizes have included Bugatti Pipe Lighters, a Porsche Pipe Tamper and 100 gram tins of tobacco.

We start our meetings around 5:00 pm and go until closing.

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
Not to be the humorless Harry, but back to the question on purchases, I don't think pipe clubs held in pipe shops (which aren't all of them) expect everyone to purchase something at every meeting. The shop owner assumes that having a club meet in the shop is good for trade. So do what is possible to buy something now and then. But don't treat it as the price of admission.

If you buy something when the club isn't meeting, it's politic to mention that you are a club member, so the shop knows the club is good for business, just as a reminder.
Ok! I would absolutely have looked at it as price of admission, regardless of the fact that I’m a pretty loyal customer. Thank you! Though, to be fair, if there’s bourbon / whiskey at a B&M I’ll probably end up spending more than enough for a seat at the table😂

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
It's not mandatory for anyone to buy anything during a meeting at the B&M but most of us do make purchases of a tin or couple of ounces of bulk.

The B&M does a raffle for those who do make a purchase equivalent to the cost of a tin or two ounces of bulk. The prizes have included Bugatti Pipe Lighters, a Porsche Pipe Tamper and 100 gram tins of tobacco.

We start our meetings around 5:00 pm and go until closing.
Sounds like an excellent time!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello all! If one were to (1) find a pipe club in their area and (2) join said pipe club, what are the general understood rules of clubs? Other than being polite and involved, of course. I assume you should make at least a small purchase from the shop. One tin possibly? And are there any faux pas’ to absolutely avoid. I know they are pretty chill atmospheres generally. But want to be prepared if by chance there is a club in my area. Thank you all for your guidance and expertise. I am very much enjoying this forum so far. I have learned so much already!
I never had one or went to one. I think as far as buying something that's more on the whole group. Like if the club never buys anything they should either buy somethings or go somewhere else. But I don't think each person has to be fair. Hosting a pipe club or something like is like taking someone on a date. It gives you a really good chance to show the wares and what's on offer. Or in other words the shop is hosting it in the hopes of creating customers but that doesn't make anyone specific person obligated. If you feel you should buy something (someone should) small should be fine. Cleaners, snacks, drinks, matches, whatever. The most the shop can really expect though is getting people through the door. And if that doesn't work for them they are free to stop. Again the dates aren't going anywhere then stop inviting that person out. I.e. less then being polite buying stuff might be practical. Oh and looking at pictures of pipe clubs the best part is how I'll would feel young and fit for once. (that doesn't matter but it's a medical fact these guys here need to be teased a little bit.)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

hey wow that's pretty much what I said. Language is amazing though. It's like you took the best suggestion on google maps on how to get to the point. And I tried to do a back flip off the roof. :)

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I never had one or went to one. I think as far as buying something that's more on the whole group. Like if the club never buys anything they should either buy somethings or go somewhere else. But I don't think each person has to be fair. Hosting a pipe club or something like is like taking someone on a date. It gives you a really good chance to show the wares and what's on offer. Or in other words the shop is hosting it in the hopes of creating customers but that doesn't make anyone specific person obligated. If you feel you should buy something (someone should) small should be fine. Cleaners, snacks, drinks, matches, whatever. The most the shop can really expect though is getting people through the door. And if that doesn't work for them they are free to stop. Again the dates aren't going anywhere then stop inviting that person out. I.e. less then being polite buying stuff might be practical. Oh and looking at pictures of pipe clubs the best part is how I'll would feel young and fit for once. (that doesn't matter but it's a medical fact these guys here need to be teased a little bit.)
Well said. Our pipe club has been hosted by three different B&Ms over the years. One of them fit your comment to a tee. There was no "price of admission" but most of us would buy from the shop frequently.

At another shop, the owner was very specific and asked that each person spend $5 per event. That usually meant an ounce of bulk tobacco or a cigar.

At the third shop, the owner wasn't specific about his expectations. People would frequently spend hundreds at his shop but there were nights when no one bought anything. He apparently resented that and started treating us like interlopers. Now we don't meet there and none of us will darken his doors even though it's the last B&M around.

Bottom line: new members shouldn't be afraid to ask the current members or the shop owner what the expectations are.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Sometimes pipe clubs meet at local pubs, so buy a pint to support the place and leave a good tip for the servers; events like pipe clubs require a lot of unprofitable time on their part and occupy a considerable amount of seating / table space and can cause other patrons to bail out rather than sit near a boisterous smoky lot of yahoos. Order stuff, tip well and thank the hosts on the way out for supporting the club.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
At the third shop, the owner wasn't specific about his expectations. People would frequently spend hundreds at his shop but there were nights when no one bought anything. He apparently resented that and started treating us like interlopers. Now we don't meet there and none of us will darken his doors even though it's the last B&M around.
the third one reminds me of the second owner of our kick ass local tobacco shop. The guy was a bit of a blockhead. And was so bad at business I wonder how he thought he'd be a success. And he blamed everything except for himself for his failure. He removed the seating and complained about people that just hung out. Ignoring that the social element brought people in. He was incredibly non attentive and had this stupid ignorant ass notion that he was owed something from customers. Sure you are if you don't forget to have a modicum of respect towards them. That idiot. He was afraid that people sitting around might chase off some customers but would bring in his not very social dogs that would bark and growl at people. Seriously some people you're like how have you survived in a world where every rock isn't labeled with a not fit for human consumption sticker? Where light sockets don't warn you not to stick your tongue or other appendages into them. It was a great shop until dumb ass bought it. The last straw for me with that fat dull faced looser was waiting in line behind someone while dumb face played a computer game and kept saying I'll be with you in a minute. The guy in front of me left his stuff on the counter. The entitled prickless prick had the gull to complain to me about the guy not being able to wait and understand he was busy. I said "oh I am sorry to interrupt your everquest game I'll get out of your hair". I still want to slap that bastard around.

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
the third one reminds me of the second owner of our kick ass local tobacco shop. The guy was a bit of a blockhead. And was so bad at business I wonder how he thought he'd be a success. And he blamed everything except for himself for his failure. He removed the seating and complained about people that just hung out. Ignoring that the social element brought people in. He was incredibly non attentive and had this stupid ignorant ass notion that he was owed something from customers. Sure you are if you don't forget to have a modicum of respect towards them. That idiot. He was afraid that people sitting around might chase off some customers but would bring in his not very social dogs that would bark and growl at people. Seriously some people you're like how have you survived in a world where every rock isn't labeled with a not fit for human consumption sticker? Where light sockets don't warn you not to stick your tongue or other appendages into them. It was a great shop until dumb ass bought it. The last straw for me with that fat dull faced looser was waiting in line behind someone while dumb face played a computer game and kept saying I'll be with you in a minute. The guy in front of me left his stuff on the counter. The entitled prickless prick had the gull to complain to me about the guy not being able to wait and understand he was busy. I said "oh I am sorry to interrupt your everquest game I'll get out of your hair". I still want to slap that bastard around.
This is why I prefer dogs and cats over humans. Too bad fido cant run a cash register.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
If you don't have a pipe club, you could start one, or at least a one-time meet-up. If a local B&M can't or won't host it, find a local tavern, maybe with outdoor seating if necessary, depending on your laws. If you have to be outside, it's good to find a spot with both covered and heated outdoor space (depending on how cold it gets there). Good to ask the venue first and see if they're ok with a pipe smoker meet-up.

If you go to a tavern, everyone should buy at least a beverage (it can be non-alcoholic) and tip well and generally you'll be welcome back. There are a number of members in the Nashville area, just ask for their input as to location and time (weekend or weekday, etc.). Good luck!

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
If you don't have a pipe club, you could start one, or at least a one-time meet-up. If a local B&M can't or won't host it, find a local tavern, maybe with outdoor seating if necessary, depending on your laws. If you have to be outside, it's good to find a spot with both covered and heated outdoor space (depending on how cold it gets there). Good to ask the venue first and see if they're ok with a pipe smoker meet-up.

If you go to a tavern, everyone should buy at least a beverage (it can be non-alcoholic) and tip well and generally you'll be welcome back. There are a number of members in the Nashville area, just ask for their input as to location and time (weekend or weekday, etc.). Good luck!
Thanks! Great advice!