PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Dry humor, it's not just for breakfast.

Well, let's see. We are doing away with standardized testing for college admissions. Competitive rankings as a tool for helping to make decisions based on ability and merit are going by the way side. Everyone deserves an opportunity because hey, we don't want privilege to be based on actual capability. That would be too vanilla, right?

Statistics reinforce a certain type of privilege! Away with such counter intuitive thoughts!
It is truly scary. The whole country will be filled with mediocre minds and people who will Google for heart transplant with a patient on the table.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
They can still make cigars, but not pipe tobacco. You know where their priorities are. The real money makers.

Like how they still make Middelton Cherry cigars but discontinued the Pipe Tobacco. I have been buying the cigars and breaking them down to get that Middleton Cherry fix but it's not as cost effective as the pipe tobacco. It's sad but true.

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
I actually like a bit of Prince Albert from time to time. I used to alternate between this and Half & Half regularly. It is what it is, which is to say it's not a complex smoke, or a particularly tasty smoke compared to premium blends, but it has that nic kick and it does'nt seem to be off-putting to others.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Brobs,
The pouch version of Prince Albert is hit or miss. The tub version is very good. I went into pipe smoking eight years after quitting cigarettes. When I first started on the pipe I was smoking Carter Hall, then Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, I switched to SWR regular and stuck with that for two years. I bought a box of PA and tried it and fell in love with the Prince. When I bought a tub, well, that was it for me. I was hooked. There is nothing like a fresh tub of Prince Albert. It is ten times better than the pouch/box. PA might not be for you, but if you like Granger, SWR and Mixture #79 (which I love!), it seems you're a burley guy. Don't dismiss it just yet. Try to find someone with a tub and try a sample, I think you will enjoy the tub version! Prince Albert is my all day blend. My family loves the room note, and I love the taste and nicotine hit!

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Like how they still make Middelton Cherry cigars but discontinued the Pipe Tobacco. I have been buying the cigars and breaking them down to get that Middleton Cherry fix but it's not as cost effective as the pipe tobacco. It's sad but true.
I was lucky to get an unopened tub and a few boxes of Middleton Cherry Blend from a buddy. The tub is from the mid-90s and it is completely different from when Middleton brought it back for the second time. The tobacco is darker in color and a bit more moist than the pouch/box version. The taste is spicy and has a berry essence rather than "cherry". The room note is so vintage and pleasant! It can nip at ya a bit if you push it, but a great blend none the less.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I love Prince Albert. I smoked Carter Hall for a while then switched to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic for a couple years. I ended up buying a pouch of SWR Regular, that ended up being my everyday smoke for two years, I found out that I like Burley, Lightly topped Burley. Then I bought a box of Prince Albert and it sat in my drawer for a few weeks. I tried it out of boredom and that was it, nutty, cocoay, toasty and a old fashioned pipey room note. It has been my everyday blend since. I still smoke St. Bruno, University Flake and others after supper, but in the morning and afternoon it's PA for me!

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I love Prince Albert. I smoked Carter Hall for a while then switched to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic for a couple years. I ended up buying a pouch of SWR Regular, that ended up being my everyday smoke for two years, I found out that I like Burley, Lightly topped Burley. Then I bought a box of Prince Albert and it sat in my drawer for a few weeks. I tried it out of boredom and that was it, nutty, cocoay, toasty and a old fashioned pipey room note. It has been my everyday blend since. I still smoke St. Bruno, University Flake and others after supper, but in the morning and afternoon it's PA for me!
Agreed -- lightly topped burley is a good thing, and PA is a simple pleasure I never grow tired of.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Agreed -- lightly topped burley is a good thing, and PA is a simple pleasure I never grow tired of.
Amen to that! Simple has always been better for me. I used to enjoy Carter Hall- but I now find it too artificially flavored. Granger is where I’ve landed- but PA is a tasty, close second and a nice change of pace. Something really special about these American Classics.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Is absolutely horrible!!!

How do you guys smoke this?

bland, nothing there besides an OK room note (oddly enough) and decent nic.

I got another pouch to try as I thought maybe the first one I tried a few years ago was too dry (which it was). Still doesn’t change my opinion on the stuff. SWR or Granger are so much better than this crap! Of course what should you expect from the maker of “Black N Mild”?
Wondering if you got trapped in the can with Prince Albert?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Harry Hosterman was thin and lanky and sat down on his haunches, and would pack PA from the can into his Dr Grabow, and the aroma was beyond the promise of heaven, after a lifetime of service to the Master.

He was a regular visitor at my father’s Grade A milk barn, and I know the reason I smoke a pipe today, was from watching Harry Hosterman, back then.

I can still remember, and still mourn, the day there were no more cans for Prince Albert to be let out of. They used to make two foil pouches, and one said

THIS POUCH REPLACES THE CAN

Like hell it did.

After Reynolds sold their flagship drug store pipe tobacco it eventually became downright hot and foul. The same happened to Velvet after that brand changed hands. Only Half and Half maintained original flavor and quality.

I actually threw a 14 ounce (cheating, chiseling, %#*+ shrunk the pound can and made it plastic) can of Velvet away, about ten or fifteen years ago.

Velvet is back as good as it ever was.

I sometimes buy a pouch of Prince Albert, and it’s better than it was, but it’s not what it was when it came in pocket cans. That stuff was delicious.

As I understand it Prince Albert was the first delicious, no bite, wonderful OTC moist canned tobacco in 1907. Early advertisements made much of a special process used to make it.

But like the six ounce Coke made with real cane sugar, you can’t buy old time Prince Albert today.

Jan 27, 2020
Harry Hosterman was thin and lanky and sat down on his haunches, and would pack PA from the can into his Dr Grabow, and the aroma was beyond the promise of heaven, after a lifetime of service to the Master.

He was a regular visitor at my father’s Grade A milk barn, and I know the reason I smoke a pipe today, was from watching Harry Hosterman, back then.

I can still remember, and still mourn, the day there were no more cans for Prince Albert to be let out of. They used to make two foil pouches, and one said

THIS POUCH REPLACES THE CAN

Like hell it did.

After Reynolds sold their flagship drug store pipe tobacco it eventually became downright hot and foul. The same happened to Velvet after that brand changed hands. Only Half and Half maintained original flavor and quality.

I actually threw a 14 ounce (cheating, chiseling, %#*+ shrunk the pound can and made it plastic) can of Velvet away, about ten or fifteen years ago.

Velvet is back as good as it ever was.

I sometimes buy a pouch of Prince Albert, and it’s better than it was, but it’s not what it was when it came in pocket cans. That stuff was delicious.

As I understand it Prince Albert was the first delicious, no bite, wonderful OTC moist canned tobacco in 1907. Early advertisements made much of a special process used to make it.

But like the six ounce Coke made with real cane sugar, you can’t buy old time Prince Albert today.

Harry Hosterman "The King of Holsteins"?

• Love

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
M
Harry Hosterman "The King of Holsteins"?
My father milked Holsteins, but Harry Hosterman was a genuine son of the hills who never once punched a time clock, and farmed his 80 acres a little, raised a few hogs and cattle, worked for other farmers occasionally, cut a lot of saw logs, and let me have the wax paper inserts to his Prince Albert cans with offers for Old Timer knives.

He bought another can of Prince Albert each Saturday when he went to town, and a couple of little boxes of matches.

I’d watch him take one pinch of PA and fill that pipe, all while he was visiting, squatting on his haunches.

Those old timers, didn’t smoke much Prince Albert but a whole bunch of them smoked a little of it.

Jan 27, 2020
M

My father milked Holsteins, but Harry Hosterman was a genuine son of the hills who never once punched a time clock, and farmed his 80 acres a little, raised a few hogs and cattle, worked for other farmers occasionally, cut a lot of saw logs, and let me have the wax paper inserts to his Prince Albert cans with offers for Old Timer knives.

He bought another can of Prince Albert each Saturday when he went to town, and a couple of little boxes of matches.

I’d watch him take one pinch of PA and fill that pipe, all while he was visiting, squatting on his haunches.

Those old timers, didn’t smoke much Prince Albert but a whole bunch of them smoked a little of it.

The 90yo man who lives on my block here in Brooklyn, NY, use to keep on asking me when he saw me with a pipe if Prince Albert was still around as that was the popular thing to smoke when he was 16. He eventually gave me his pipe from that time which I cherish for obvious reasons.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
M

Sounds like a good man!

The local historical society ought to buy you an old timey suit and hat, and pay you to dress up, smoke your pipe, and ruminate eloquently to the public about your area’s history

Status
Not open for further replies.