PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I was the number eight post on this extensive thread, and I still think PA is too much cocoa and not enough burley. If you want a very mild burley with a quiet personality, but a subtle charm, you might like Velvet, or live a little and smoke some Granger.
Hi Tom! I did try Velvet before, and enjoyed it well enough, but not as much as PA; whereas, Granger - which I smoke occasionally as a regular rotation tabak - while good, when compared to PA, has less dimension to my palate.

Interesting thing, I never really taste the Cocoa when I smoke PA - which is pretty much around the clock - but, I sure miss what the cocoa adds to the flavor-profile, when it is not present. - Sherm Natman

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I’d watch him take one pinch of PA and fill that pipe, all while he was visiting, squatting on his haunches.

Those old timers, didn’t smoke much Prince Albert but a whole bunch of them smoked a little of it.
I find I often have to remind myself that neither written law nor tacit etiquette state one must fill the entire pipe bowl to the brink at the brink of every session.

"Relax...," I tell myself, "this pipe is as open as the day for you."

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
haha ok so it's not just me..
It just isn't great. I mean I won't say it's "bad" but nothing I would ever seek out again.
I just figured a few bucks for a pouch when I was buying a pipe anyways couldn't hurt.
Now I wish I'd just got a couple more OZ of Mixture 79 Bulk.

I did not like Carter Hall but I do need to retry that one as well.
Have you tried Half and Half?

Reactions: BROBS

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I grabbed a tub of PA about 2 or 3 months after I got into pipe smoking. The taste was never amazing but my god is it easy to smoke. I had to stop smoking it because I swear it set my technique back a good 2 or 3 months.

I grabbed a bowl recently in the hopes of finally putting some cake on the bottom of an especially troublesome new Peterson, not much luck in that department but I did find that I didn't really miss Prince Albert. It has its moments but overall it definitely feels like you're smoking $2.00/oz tobacco.

Which now that I'm thinking about it, you can get way better tobacco for $2.00/oz!

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I love Prince Albert. My first all day was Carter Hall, then SWRA but I was getting bored of that so I bought SWR regular. That was my everyday smoke for two years then I was at Wal-Mart for some reason can't remember why, but I saw the red box of Prince on the shelf behind the checkout lane with tobaccos. I said ah, heck with it I'll try it. It actually sat in my tobacco drawer for a around a month. I pulled it out and smoked one bowl and was like DAMN! I like this. Bought a tub and been smoking it ever since, with Lane Ready Rubbed too. I've been really liking Pegasus mixed with a little Captain Black Dark too. That stuff is delicious, has a great room note and has a good nic-hit as well. I'm liking the 1940s style tobaccos. Revelation Match and EGR, plus Epiphany.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I've had bad luck with two OTC codger blends, most of which I like. I think I bought a very stale pouch of SWR regular at a convenience store on a trip and it had no flavor. I smoked it because that was all I had, but it never perked up. Half & Half, which should be a sure bet with burley and Virginia, just managed a few good draws and then went harsh on me, and never improved through the pouch. I didn't like my first try with Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, but a second round proved good. A whole new day. Yes to Granger, Mixture No. 79, many others.
Star Blue is like napalm in my mouth. When I was ordering my 8oz of Pegasus bulk to make my mix, I threw in a pouch of Three Star Blue. When I posted it on fb everyone was telling me that I would love it and that it has a wonderful room note. Well, I can tell you I didn't like it, my wife said it stunk and it tore my mouth up. I guess my fb buddies thought I would like it because I really like Mixture # 79.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The elderly PA smoker I met at my wife's after-hospital rehab -- she'd had hip surgeries -- we called C.S. He was from an adjoining state but had ended up in N.C. He was a former car salesman, Dodge automobiles, and had changed later in his career to selling eighteen wheeler truck tractors. He was a good conversationalist. Occasionally he had lapses -- he was in his late eighties -- so he thought his wife's photo was on the wall in every room because the staff moved it every time he moved. But mostly, he was sharp, and we always tried to have meals with him in the dining room, and shared our real butter from home and other tidbits. He tried to escape to the benches out front of the facility to have a smoke, but it required a staff person to accompany him, and that was often a problem, and we were limited in spending time on that. I bought him a MM cob and an inexpensive briar to replace pipes a friend had ruined with inexperienced reaming. He smoked only Prince Albert, ever. My favorite yarn about him -- a little sad, but also endearing -- was that he had a powered wheelchair, but got to tearing around in it so fast, staff decided he was a hazard and put him back into a manually pushed chair. He probably remembered when he was driving those Hemi Dodges. I really liked the guy. He went out with his flags flying.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I grabbed a tub of PA about 2 or 3 months after I got into pipe smoking. The taste was never amazing but my god is it easy to smoke. I had to stop smoking it because I swear it set my technique back a good 2 or 3 months.

I grabbed a bowl recently in the hopes of finally putting some cake on the bottom of an especially troublesome new Peterson, not much luck in that department but I did find that I didn't really miss Prince Albert. It has its moments but overall it definitely feels like you're smoking $2.00/oz tobacco.

Which now that I'm thinking about it, you can get way better tobacco for $2.00/oz!
I have found if I want to build cake faster, I use Carter Hall for that task. I have no idea why this effect occurs; but, that's what I experience. YMMV. - Sherm Natman

Windknot

Lurker
Nov 4, 2021
Corpus Christi, Texas
Late to the game here but PA is one of my regulars. I keep a can on my workbench for when I'm working on a project. Grandpa smoked it as well so it's a bit of a nostalgia thing for me to. But hey, it's a consistent smoke that doesn't break the bank and one I can smoke while getting lost in a carving project for hours at a time.

Just my two cents.

-Harris

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa
I think I need to try this. Obvious mixed reviews but I can’t help but at least give it a shot for the nostalgia of it and all. Plus the positive reviews are enough to make me want to give it a go.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.