Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt many of the super expensive pipes get smoked much.
Unless I buy them. I smoke the hell out of my Beckers from the most expensive to the least. I knock them against stuff to empty them, and I like to give those shock-eyed guys at The Briary a little wink when I do this. I am committed to never selling them, to the point when I don't give a rat's ass about whether the logos get rubbed off the stems... and I used to joke about sanding the nomenclature off of the stummel. When I die, screw em, throw them away!

I never want to own a prissy pipe. I use them. If I ever did own a Maserati, I'd be all gunning that son down the interstate getting sideways at 145MPH coming off the off ramp. Screw the clutch, I'd be burning it up.

Sure, some of my nice pipes I don't use, but mostly those are the ones I bought just to keep anyone else from owning. The pipes I love, I smoke and smoke often.

That's a type of sadism you don't see openly expressed too often.
It's only sadistic if I destroy them. puffy
Come on, it's only pipes... live a little. Throw a Dunhill off a bridge in heavy traffic. Buy the last bag of Esotericas, complain about how it sucks, and take pictures dumping it into the garden. Believe in everything, so that nothing is sacred, and then believe in nothing, so that everything is sacred.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's only sadistic if I destroy them. puffy
Come on, it's only pipes... live a little. Throw a Dunhill off a bridge in heavy traffic. Buy the last bag of Esotericas, complain about how it sucks, and take pictures dumping it into the garden. Believe in everything, so that nothing is sacred, and then believe in nothing, so that everything is sacred.
Deflection! I don't care how you enjoy your pipes, I just suspect you may have beaten a few innocents with a thousand dollar Dunhill and told them how lucky they are. That's all.

• Haha
Reactions: hauntedmyst

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I kind of prefer the well loved pipes that gramps chewed on for years....dont think much would change if I could afford something really pricey. But that's how I am with anything I buy. I like well used, well loved things that tell a story.

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
Whenever I see pipes with outrageous prices my first thought is 'Is that a typo?'

Who would pay $1k or more for a pipe? Or more than $500 for that matter.
Were I a multi-millionaire I still couldn't justify spending huge money on a pipe, especially since that I doubt that they smoke any better than most of my briars & cobs that were bargains.

Take this 1965-1976 Charatan Achievement for example. Sure it's a really nice pipe. But not $26,000 nice.

View attachment 18917
$26,0000 for an unsmoked Charatan???? A Brand New Nanna doesn't even cost that much. The seller is off his rocker.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean

So I had a click on yer link, I worked out I'll lose 6 grand in depreciation just by sparking up a bowl of Holland House cherry aro... but anyways I'm just about to pull the trigger on the Buy It Now option and notice he doesn't ship to my country, their loss I guess ?

2nd thing, 26k & it doesn't even take a 9mm charcoal filter!!

Caveat emptor (reckon I dodged a bullet there) ??

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I enjoy seeing all the pipes that cost an ass load of money get bought up with a quickness on SP and the like. Jess Chonowitsch’s and all of those. I could never afford one, but it’s interesting to think about people smoking $10,000 and $20,000 pipes. My limit is about $200. Some peoples limit is $50... to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.