PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I agree that in some cases, that is certainly true, but not in all cases. There is an element of passion that is a part of collecting. And for some with the means, the money is a tool, a means, for following their passion. It's not about the money, it's about obtaining an example of something they are passionate about, or supporting artistic, or other endeavors that require a lot of cash to nurture, about which they are passionate.

I know a few very wealthy people, and all of them are very conscious about money. They don't spend anything close to what they make. They make their money work for them. The other thing I've found is that people with money, who are not trust fund babies, are very conscious regarding the value of what they're buying. A few of them are beyond frugal, they're downright cheap.

One of my friends grew up in Beverly Hills, in a house where the furniture was orange crates and sleeping bags for the first few years. The house was an investment. Furniture was an expense. Once the family business was producing enough cash flow, the furniture showed up, a piece at a time, and the orange crates went into the fireplace. And that practicality never left any of them, no matter how much money they earned or donated to various charitable causes.

Was his name Jed Clampett by any chance? ?

JK ☺

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I agree that in some cases, that is certainly true, but not in all cases. There is an element of passion that is a part of collecting. And for some with the means, the money is a tool, a means, for following their passion. It's not about the money, it's about obtaining an example of something they are passionate about, or supporting artistic, or other endeavors that require a lot of cash to nurture, about which they are passionate.
this is true for sure. Just like modifications to a car or tattoos... some people will never understand spending the money. To the people spending it: worth every cent. So it is certainly very subjective.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Jan 8, 2013
If I could afford to blow 25 grand on a pipe... yeah, I'd totally do it. And then I'd log in to Pipesmagazine.com and totally brag about the pipe I just purchased. I mean, hey, I do that now even with a 100 dollar pipe (probably drives other members nuts!). 25 grand pipe? "Oh Yeah! Look at me! Anthony the great one! Just bought a 25 thousand dollar pipe because I can. I'm the man! I'm the man!" It would go something like that. And then I'd spend hours just waiting for all the replies to come in about how AWESOME my 25000 dollar pipe is. Shoot, I'd probably spend that money on ANY pipe. "Hey, Chasingembers, I love that Bruce Weaver Blowfish will you sell it?" No? Can't blame you, I probably wouldn't sell it either.... but hey, what if I gave you 25,000 bucks for it????" I'd finish with a big Texas Yeeeeehaaaaawwww" Embers would agree and be 25000 dollars richer.... or maybe he wouldn't, I don't know, but dangit I can dream. I can truly dream!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It seems the more I try the less I'm able to come up with a good analogy for pipes unless they are thought of in terms of art.

Does a Bugatti outperform a Honda? Of course it does. Is 1938 Vintage Macallan better than Johnnie Walker red? Of course it is. Are either worth the extra money? That depends on who you ask.

Pipes on the other hand don't outperform others based on price. Sure better pieces of wood can be selected and then an artisan can put many hours into a hand carved pipe, both of which factor into the price, but the pipe won't necessarily outperform many other pipes that cost a fraction of the price.

Expensive without a clearly quantifiable quality but instead an aesthetic quality is hard to figure out. But that's art for you.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
It seems the more I try the less I'm able to come up with a good analogy for pipes unless they are thought of in terms of art.

Does a Bugatti outperform a Honda? Of course it does. Is 1938 Vintage Macallan better than Johnnie Walker red? Of course it is. Are either worth the extra money? That depends on who you ask.

Pipes on the other hand don't outperform others based on price. Sure better pieces of wood can be selected and then an artisan can put many hours into a hand carved pipe, both of which factor into the price, but the pipe won't necessarily outperform many other pipes that cost a fraction of the price.

Expensive without a clearly quantifiable quality but instead an aesthetic quality is hard to figure out. But that's art for you.

I suppose it also depends if you limit the measure by which you define 'outperform'

If top speed is your measure for comparing the price of two cars then the Bugatti wins... but what if being outperformed is measured as the mpg, the Honda wins by miles (literally)

Does a photograph outperform a painting of the same subject, again it depends on the measure, these are both art. In one environment it may be the painting, in another the kodak wins

Does an artisan or dunhill outperform a cob, depends on the measure, if its just to burn & smoke tobacco they are not the same but reasonably close, but just like the honda getting knocked out the door at one a minute or the bugatti at one a week (guesses) their production costs & worth will inevitably vary wildly

At the end of the day there will always be someone who'll still stick their Honda on ebay and try and flog it as if it were a bugatti ;)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
as I say, if 'how they smoke' is the measure, they can be close (being exactly the same is probably an exception/fluke or simply that the differences are less noticeable)
Nope. Two lights and burns straight to the bottom on all of them. One blend tastes the same in all four as well.

Reactions: chopper

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Nope. Two lights and burns straight to the bottom on all of them. One blend tastes the same in all four as well.

Your statement “These smoke exactly the same” is too much of a generalisation

Are we to take it that in any environment, wind, moisture level or temperature, indoor or out and regardless of user experience/skills… “These smoke exactly the same” taken as a measure, is always true?

Is it even possible that regardless of price, one pipe can outperform another simply in the measure of the 'awesome memories' it has compared to another ;)

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
A few thoughts...hopefully somewhat on target. I've spent a fair amount more on pipes made by carvers I know and knew...more than I've spent on ... for example...a Peterson I enjoy quite a bit. My Peter Heeschen pipes do smoke better than some others, partly because his stem work was very good, and partly because I think of him and our friendship. May sound silly to some, but that does make the pipes worth more to me. Same for the one Roush I own, and the pipes I purchased from Rolando Negoita. And...you know these carvers are not (and we're not) financially rich people. It takes quite some time, not to mention materials and overhead to make a very good pipe. They're earning their money...and generally not making a killing. Not even close for most of them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If I could afford to blow 25 grand on a pipe... yeah, I'd totally do it. And then I'd log in to Pipesmagazine.com and totally brag about the pipe I just purchased. I mean, hey, I do that now even with a 100 dollar pipe (probably drives other members nuts!). 25 grand pipe? "Oh Yeah! Look at me! Anthony the great one! Just bought a 25 thousand dollar pipe because I can. I'm the man! I'm the man!" It would go something like that. And then I'd spend hours just waiting for all the replies to come in about how AWESOME my 25000 dollar pipe is. Shoot, I'd probably spend that money on ANY pipe. "Hey, Chasingembers, I love that Bruce Weaver Blowfish will you sell it?" No? Can't blame you, I probably wouldn't sell it either.... but hey, what if I gave you 25,000 bucks for it????" I'd finish with a big Texas Yeeeeehaaaaawwww" Embers would agree and be 25000 dollars richer.... or maybe he wouldn't, I don't know, but dangit I can dream. I can truly dream!
Anthony,
Your $25,000 pipe would be totally worth it. For one thing, it would confound the law of diminishing returns. Just imagine how much merriment we would all derive from busting your balls over that purchase. We could easily get 100 times the amusement over a $250 pipe.
As far as factory VS artisan pipes, I have not experienced any edge regarding one over the other. I enjoy both equally. Then again, most of my "factory" pipes are Barlings, Comoys, and Sasienis, well crafted and made from good wood. The Von Ercks and Piersels, to name just two of the makes of artisan pipes I collect, are well crafted with good wood. Both provide equal smoking pleasure.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Your statement “These smoke exactly the same” is too much of a generalisation

Are we to take it that in any environment, wind, moisture level or temperature, indoor or out and regardless of user experience/skills… “These smoke exactly the same” taken as a measure, is always true?

Is it even possible that regardless of price, one pipe can outperform another simply in the measure of the 'awesome memories' it has compared to another ;)
With good drilling, I've never seen one pipe outperform another.

Status
Not open for further replies.