Please Help. Tobacco Mixture Tastes Like Rotten Eggs.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I have a question to you, what is a good starting english blend? If i had to be more specific, a dunhill one. I know tobacco is a subjective matter, but i’m still in the process of finding my right blend. I’ll take any recommendations with a grain of salt, but atleast i’ll take an opinion than guess blindly. I suggested dunhill since I have a store that sells dunhill‘s for some reason, and i wanted to try the dunhill’s before the Peterson’s take over that store. I may get a good tin that is already aged a bit.

Welcome to the forum from Sweden!
Where are you located?

I'd say Dunhill Standard Mixture is a good English to start with, well balanced, not to strong nor to Latakia heavy.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Hell, just come back and hang out while you smoke. You don't have to be asking a question. These guys are all great friends, and we enjoy the companionship while we smoke. Plus, you might pick up on some tobacco lore or learn some historical nuance that triggers some intrigue.
We are glad to help, anytime, but more than that, we enjoy the camaraderie.

sure! I’m not only new to pipe smoking, but to this type of forums. I’ll stop by, listening and giving you guys some tales about my journey through this pipe adventure. As you said it well enough, everyone enjoys a good company while they smoke a tasty blendpuffy

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Welcome to the forum from Sweden!
Where are you located?

I'd say Dunhill Standard Mixture is a good English to start with, well balanced, not to strong nor to Latakia heavy.

Hey there!

I currently live in Saudi Arabia. See, the really rich here love a premium cigar, and always when I go searching for a good Blend, i see a couple of them buying or asking for cigars. but mostly everyone here uses cigarettes. Often, those places I go to buy pipe tobacco are sold out on cigars, and even pipe tobacco! i guess whoever smokes a pipe, smokes it in his leisure time at home since I never seen anyone smoking it in public. oh and i’ll give the Standard Mixture a try. Thank you!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
i took the recommendations of “workman” in this thread, And i’ve found out i’ve been smoking it like i smoke my other blends, puff in and out 3-4 times rapidly, then stalling for a bit. It gave me a strong flavor taste in some of my other blends, but it seems the Elizabethan mixture didnt comply with this method, so i got a horrible aftertaste. Now, i tried puffing it slowly and savoring it for a second or two in my mouth and it worked like a charm

Some blends are more finicky than others, as you’re discovering. Just keep experimenting and see what works for you ?

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
i guess whoever smokes a pipe, smokes it in his leisure time at home since I never seen anyone smoking it in public. oh and i’ll give the Standard Mixture a try. Thank you!
I don't think I have ever seen anyone enoying a pipe publicly here in the states. I have lived in 3 states and traveled to 44 of the 50. never noticed a pipe smoker that I can recall.

Reactions: Law

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I don't think I have ever seen anyone enoying a pipe publicly here in the states. I have lived in 3 states and traveled to 44 of the 50. never noticed a pipe smoker that I can recall.

I find it amusing. I understand the convenience of cigars and cigarettes, but pipe smoking has so much more from different pipes to flavors and blends that are really good quality with good value. Pipe smoking seems to hit all the good spots and gives you hundreds of options. Hell, pick a pocket pipe and a small jar of your favorite blend and smoke all day.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
for more fun the proper dryness really depends on not just the smoker but also the blend too.

Pipe smoking , I see it, as an art. The enjoyment is of half the process and half the results. The thrill of finding your perfect blend, how to perfectly dry it, how to smoke it, and the results are just another reward.

Last edited:

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
I find it amusing. I understand the convenience of cigars and cigarettes, but pipe smoking has so much more from different pipes to flavors and blends that are really good quality with good value. Pipe smoking seems to hit all the good spots and gives you hundreds of options. Hell, pick a pocket pipe and a small jar of your favorite blend and smoke all day.
Mu experience as a cig smoker was largely that of unconscious addiction fueled consumption. I've only had 0assing experience with cigars. Pipe smoking takes more dedicated time i think.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I keep seeing folks refer to differences between Dunhill and Peterson labelled blends. It was my understanding that it is still made by the same people, same things, just a different name on the tins. Or, did I miss a memo? But, Dunhill and Peterson haven't actually been making any tobacco for a long time now.

Idk about the other adopted blends, but Elizabethan, Royal Yacht, and EMP taste the same to me as the final Dunhill versions.
?

Reactions: Law

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
How is your experience with pipe smoking? I think it is like a good cup of coffee than addiction, so far at least with me.
Well, for me a good cup of coffee is most certainly an addiction. ? Compared to other forms of tobacco I find pipe smoking to have a much more meditative zen quality. When I try to mix pipe smoking with other activities I find the pipe distracts me. While my mind can wander while smoking a pipe, I can't smoke it mindlessly and it doesn't quell a craving in the same way. I can read and write while smoking. Probably because they are long form activies. Cigs are 2-5 minutes of muscle memory. A pipe can take an hour. It also takes more planning on the front end.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Huh. The last time I encountered a decidedly eggy character was with a Bandido rustic cigar—the first one seriously reminded me of gas station egg salad on an intermittent basis. Second one, after I’d worked up the courage to try another, was fine...go figure. I wonder exactly what is responsible for that sort of note.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Does it always happens at mid point? Tried dumping the ash and running the pipe cleaner? If it's something building up somewhere, that might help.
I found that, for some reason, most dunhill tobacco I bought needs to be smoked a lot slower than I initially thought. If I smoked it too fast, and the bowl heats up, the flavour ends up tasting a little abnormal and that taste is in all the, I believe, virginain dunhill tobaccos (Except the DUNHILL Flake). I tried Royal Yacht, Night cap, Elizabethan Mixture, and Navy rolls, and they all, when smoked too rapidly, have a unpleasant, similar taste. Now this could be something i‘m not quite putting my finger on, and as I said previously in other posts and replies I’m still trying to figure things out, since I am fairly novice. But that is my experience.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Well, for me a good cup of coffee is most certainly an addiction. ? Compared to other forms of tobacco I find pipe smoking to have a much more meditative zen quality. When I try to mix pipe smoking with other activities I find the pipe distracts me. While my mind can wander while smoking a pipe, I can't smoke it mindlessly and it doesn't quell a craving in the same way. I can read and write while smoking. Probably because they are long form activies. Cigs are 2-5 minutes of muscle memory. A pipe can take an hour. It also takes more planning on the front end.

I couldn’t have said it better:ROFLMAO:. I agree and I feel exactly the same way except that pipe smoking could be, in some ways, a quick activity if done right. I noticed i can’t smoke some blends without having to go into a “zen mode” (Example, Night Cap) and contemplate the flavors and focus on the pipe. While, for example, i have the Dunhill/Peterson Flake and that for me is a quick pack-and-light type of thing. It is decently sweet and with a consistent taste. I can smoke it as fast as i like without ruining the flavors and just works casually. What is your experience on this?

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Huh. The last time I encountered a decidedly eggy character was with a Bandido rustic cigar—the first one seriously reminded me of gas station egg salad on an intermittent basis. Second one, after I’d worked up the courage to try another, was fine...go figure. I wonder exactly what is responsible for that sort of note.

Exactly! I’m still figuring things out. Maybe something related to the ammonia in tobacco?

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
I couldn’t have said it better:ROFLMAO:. I agree and I feel exactly the same way except that pipe smoking could be, in some ways, a quick activity if done right. I noticed i can’t smoke some blends without having to go into a “zen mode” (Example, Night Cap) and contemplate the flavors and focus on the pipe. While, for example, i have the Dunhill/Peterson Flake and that for me is a quick pack-and-light type of thing. It is decently sweet and with a consistent taste. I can smoke it as fast as i like without ruining the flavors and just works casually. What is your experience on this?
Zero. :LOL:. I have not had a chance to try any of those blends. I do find that the blends I have really taken a liking to like Sutliff 999 and Cult Profile are more mesmerizing than say Carter Hall. I can smoke Carter Hall without really thinking I suppose.

On the egg flavor thing, I did get a very sulfuric flavor last night smoking some Autumn Evening. I blame the matches and constant relighting. It didn't taste like eggs per se, but it did taste like sulfur.