Please Help. Tobacco Mixture Tastes Like Rotten Eggs.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
It sounds like you are doing great, and you are developing a good sense of taste. Smoking slow is the goal with pipes. It is especially a disadvantage for folks that didn't grow up around pipesmokers, but in my youth, you would never be able to see puffs of smoke coming up off of a pipesmoker. Maybe a thin wisp or two. But, the goal is to slowly savor it, and sometimes if you smoke it as if you are hiding the smoke from someone, you will get the hang of smoking your pipe on the verge of it going out. This will give you a more savory flavor, and might stop some of these "off" flavors from getting worked in from pushing it a little too hard. Now, this is all guessing from the evidence you've submitted. You may be the slowest smoker in the world, but I just want to help, and it seems like it might be a factor here.

Sir you are absolutely right! I just had a conversation with a person called “workman” up in the comments, and he explained that the Elizabethan is a sensetive mixture, and I should be puffing it slowly and savor it as well (as you said) and it seemed to fix the problem completely! i had a bad habit of having 3-4 rapid buffs and overwhellming my taste buds with the flavour, and maybe the Elizabethan wasn’t one of those compliant tobacco blends i tried. And sir, I appreciate your advice. I never saw my grandfather, only in pictures. He always had a pipe in those pictures, and he was the hardest working man I ever knew (through family told stories). I will always respect the traditions, and I’m glad that i learned what i was doing wrong. Thank you!

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I would set that can down and try a different genre of tobacco, then you can revisit as you become more fluent. You just need to find your own taste's through trial and error like the rest of us did. The journey is more important than the final destination. There are several forum members that seem to have a very similar palate as I do, so I do tend to pay attention to their reviews and recommendations.

Hang around a while, 'you'll figure it out.

I have a question to you, what is a good starting english blend? If i had to be more specific, a dunhill one. I know tobacco is a subjective matter, but i’m still in the process of finding my right blend. I’ll take any recommendations with a grain of salt, but atleast i’ll take an opinion than guess blindly. I suggested dunhill since I have a store that sells dunhill‘s for some reason, and i wanted to try the dunhill’s before the Peterson’s take over that store. I may get a good tin that is already aged a bit.

Yeh, dryness is a very personal thing, because there is no one specific level that is perfect for everyone, IMO. I really like mine on the crunchy side, but some say they can't taste as well without some moisture. And, some live by the pinch technique of dryness, which sizzles my tastebuds with steam. You just have to experiment. Maybe start by just slowly drying some and sampling it as it gets dryer. It does make a difference, but the difference is for the individual smoker to figure out, IMO.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Exactly - let it air out - better drying it out and then rehumidifying it afterwards - I've always found that drier the better evn though dry smoke is lowsy- I've had egglike taste problems like this with cigars - and those are kept at 70-80 humidity in my case
I had one aromatic that i left in the bag to dry for days, tasted better but eventually got too dry. I think there is a sweet spot somewhere there, and i’ll definitely try To find it within my new blends, thank you for your advice!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have a question to you, what is a good starting english blend? If i had to be more specific, a dunhill one. I know tobacco is a subjective matter, but i’m still in the process of finding my right blend. I’ll take any recommendations with a grain of salt, but atleast i’ll take an opinion than guess blindly. I suggested dunhill since I have a store that sells dunhill‘s for some reason, and i wanted to try the dunhill’s before the Peterson’s take over that store. I may get a good tin that is already aged a bit.
I will let other help with the English. I will suggest the Dunhill Flake as another option for your trial. Virginia's, especially flakes, are very different than the English blends.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I will let other help with the English. I will suggest the Dunhill Flake as another option for your trial. Virginia's, especially flakes, are very different than the English blends.
Oh yes i see, do you suggest the dark flake? I already have the normal flake.

Reactions: workman

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
If you are where you can get some... GLP's Englishes are top notch. I would suggest trying a few from the Fog City Selections. That is where I cut my teeth on different blends and components, because he makes each of the condimentals really stand out.

+1

I would recommend GLP Westminster. It's an easy-going, well-balanced English blend. The latakia is clearly present but does not overwhelm the other tobaccos. It's an ideal English blend IMO.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I'm glad I could help. The Dark Flake is very good. I'd recommend Nightcap for an english.

i”ll give the nightcap a run.I have one question as I’m confident that you have tried it, The Royal Yacht? I understand it is probably the heaviest of the dunhill/Peterson blends, especially in the Nicotine, but My local Shop has one last tin of the Dunhill’s version (already 4-5 years old). I could even cellar it if it proved too harsh for me. Should i give it a go? Is it any good even if not for a beginner?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
And as to the rotten eggs issue, I would just chalk that up to not liking that particular blend. I doubt it's your pipe.

i took the recommendations of “workman” in this thread, And i’ve found out i’ve been smoking it like i smoke my other blends, puff in and out 3-4 times rapidly, then stalling for a bit. It gave me a strong flavor taste in some of my other blends, but it seems the Elizabethan mixture didnt comply with this method, so i got a horrible aftertaste. Now, i tried puffing it slowly and savoring it for a second or two in my mouth and it worked like a charm

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
i took the recommendations of “workman” in this thread, And i’ve found out i’ve been smoking it like i smoke my other blends, puff in and out 3-4 times rapidly, then stalling for a bit. It gave me a strong flavor taste in some of my other blends, but it seems the Elizabethan mixture didnt comply with this method, so i got a horrible aftertaste. Now, i tried puffing it slowly and savoring it for a second or two in my mouth and it worked like a charm
I love Royal Yacht, but only with beer or whiskey to mellow the effects of the nicotine. I say go for it. I'm sure Cosmic feels the same ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Law

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I love Royal Yacht, but only with beer or whiskey to mellow the effects of the nicotine. I say go for it. I'm sure Cosmic feels the same ?

Saw a couple of articles on how Stalin smoked them, got me intrigued and curious a bit I’ll be honest? can’t thank all of you guys enough. Seriously, I’m still a beginner but i’ll sure come back here whenever I have a question or need an advice of any sorts. You guys are simply amazing

Reactions: Toast
Seriously, I’m still a beginner but i’ll sure come back here whenever I have a question or need an advice of any sorts. You guys are simply amazing
Hell, just come back and hang out while you smoke. You don't have to be asking a question. These guys are all great friends, and we enjoy the companionship while we smoke. Plus, you might pick up on some tobacco lore or learn some historical nuance that triggers some intrigue.
We are glad to help, anytime, but more than that, we enjoy the camaraderie.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Hell, just come back and hang out while you smoke. You don't have to be asking a question. These guys are all great friends, and we enjoy the companionship while we smoke. Plus, you might pick up on some tobacco lore or learn some historical nuance that triggers some intrigue.
We are glad to help, anytime, but more than that, we enjoy the camaraderie.
And we like to talk crap too! (in a friendly way of course)