Thanks Buroak!
Your very fine idea has become a reality and we are all reaping the benefits,

this is good stuff.

:!:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks all! We are a going concern!
Philobeddoe, We will enthusiastically accept your contribution. Thanks for joining and supporting the pool. Just send payment as follows:
On PayPal's site send money using the Friends and Family option to pipesephemera@gmail.com. The Friends and Family option keeps PayPal from extracting fees from the money the pool receives, leaving us with more for acquisitions. Besides, we're all friends here.

May 31, 2012
Let a mistake I made yesterday be a sort of a lesson for all here.
We're developing as we move along, but we've yet to really concretize the solid guidelines,

a manifesto of sorts as it were...
...but perhaps the main point of our guidelines is that we will not engage in unethical behavior by reproducing copyrighted material.
As Sable has stated again and again in this thread,

that is a big no-no.
But I'm thick as a brick and somewhat murky on the complicated issues of intellectual property,

and mistakenly thought that an out-of-print publication would be acceptable for scanning.
I bought this Geo. Zorn reprint catalog with the goal of offering it up to the group, but Sable (who is well-versed in this arena) filled me in on the fact that what is actually copyrighted is the work of the author/compiler/reproducer's labor, that is, their work, and their particular layout or composition, or addenda, or whatever, which ultimately creates a unique publication which is copyrighted under law.
Here's the reprint I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381537447066?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I don't really have much interest in that time period and will probably pass it along for less than my cost,

if anyone here may be interested, let me know.
Also,

at this time there happens to be an original on offer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19th-Century-Fifth-Edition-Catalogue-of-Pipes-Smokers-Articles-by-George-Zorn-/371551856584?hash=item56823767c8:g:z1QAAOSwPc9Wu9Cd
But by and large I find most of the pre1910 stuff to be pretty boring.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
But by and large I find most of the pre1910 stuff to be pretty boring.
Same here. If the seller of the Oppenheimer and Civic catalogs had a 1925 (or maybe even 1915) WDC catalog rather than an 1895, I would be proposing that for the group.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
We still need to allow time for one or two more folks to confirm their participation.
In other news, it just occurred to me that we purchased catalogs from the collection of THE Tom Colwell, one of the authors of Who Made that Pipe?. Am I the only one who had failed to make that connection?

May 31, 2012
Am I the only one who had failed to make that connection?
I missed it too.
I don't have a copy of the book though,

never sought it out because much of the info is incorrect and today's online sources are easier and more accurate,

and, I mostly rely on my eyes to tell me what's what, a quality pipe is usually obvious, but sometimes finding the real maker can be a task, and in some cases remain unsolved.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I don't have a copy of the book though,

never sought it out because much of the info is incorrect and today's online sources are easier and more accurate,

and, I mostly rely on my eyes to tell me what's what, a quality pipe is usually obvious, but sometimes finding the real maker can be a task, and in some cases remain unsolved.
It's hard to argue with that. Still, the book has sometimes been indispensable to me as a ready reference.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Thank you, philobeddoe!
We still need to hear from a couple of folks. I have sent PMs to that effect. How long is the membership willing to wait before finalizing the details?
Also, I plan to finish all aspects of this buy within the current thread and the PM system. Future planning, decision making, etc. will be conducted via an email list. Please send from your preferred email account an email to pipesephemera@gmail.com . From those emails I will construct our mailing list.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Clickklick, I don't think anyone will mind another person tossing money into the pot. Welcome aboard!

May 31, 2012
Future planning, decision making, etc. will be conducted via an email list. Please send from your preferred email account an email to pipesephemera@gmail.com . From those emails I will construct our mailing list.
Most excellent.
Thank you Buroak.

59b86743ff6b62a108cb0d41fdbaff03_61295.gif

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm just completing setting up the 1939 Wally Frank catalog that I own. I decided to start with this one as a test piece. 52 pages of dense information and a lot of tiny type. What I'm learning is that the final digital file will be quite large. I've been looking for a balance between maintaining the best possible quality and producing a file that won't bring down a workstation.
To give you some idea of the issues, each page, scanned at 300 dpi, was about 16mb. 52 pages equals 832mb! I've been playing with adding some compression when converting the scans to PDF and can reduce the size by about 1/2 to 2/3. I'm estimating that the final file size will be about 300mb. I've almost completed assembling and converting the pages and will send this out to Buroak to send out to the participants.
The other option is to not set this up as a PDF and send out jpegs of the scans, which will be a bit smaller, but you won't be able to open one document and scroll through pages like you can if I turn the cans into a PDF.
I'll continue to experiment to see where I can further compress without sacrificing image quality. This one is set for maximum quality using jpeg compression in the conversion process.

May 31, 2012
Thanks for the update Sable.
I trust your judgement to figure out the best format.
And again,

deep heartfelt thanks for taking on the massive task!
We all very much appreciate your work.

:puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I trust your judgement to figure out the best format.
I may have some more leeway with a less densely filled format. The folks at Wally Frank definitely believed in ad copy. The final PDF weighs in at 340MB. I'm uploading it to my hightail account, addressed to Buroak so that he can download and distribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.