PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You done well. However, in the rest of the world I believe your esteemed "Canadian Bacon" is simply called back bacon, unless of course you are referring to "peameal bacon" which I consider the true Canadian Bacon. The stuff we 'mericans call Canadian Bacon is really properly called "dreck."
Peameal bacon = really good stuff

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Harrington's of Vermont smokes bacon over applewood and is the best I have ever eaten. You can get it, hams, turkeys, etc., from their website, not cheap but super.
:crazy: Harrington's is the weak sauce of Vermont bacon. Much better is Dakin's cob-smoked bacon. We always have several pounds in the freezer.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You done well. However, in the rest of the world I believe your esteemed "Canadian Bacon" is simply called back bacon, unless of course you are referring to "peameal bacon" which I consider the true Canadian Bacon. The stuff we 'mericans call Canadian Bacon is really properly called "dreck."
Peameal bacon = really good stuff
A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
You folks won't be surprised to learn that we don't call what we eat, "Canadian Bacon," we call it pea-meal bacon. It is cured and lightly smoked, rolled in pea-meal and then cut thick. I will spare you guys the details of describing what we call, "American Cheese."
-- Pat

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Warren, You have piqued my curiosity. My next trip to Canada will involve more attention paid to pork products.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I've called my friend Norm who works for Canada Border Services. He's told both of Canada's other guards about you. You'll never enter, or leave, our beautiful country again.
I for one..... am offended.

And you can keep your false hopes of Canadian Bacon ever being recognized as a form of bacon on a world scale, and your awesome Country, you can keep that too. 'MURICA

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think that during the course of discussing the politics of tobacco, it is not unfair to criticize a political party if they predominately bear the blame for anti-tobacco proposals and legislation. To have an adult conversation without being able to do so is pretty lame.

Whether you think it's unfair and lame or not isn't the issue. It's Kevin's house. If he doesn't want you peeing off the balcony, you don't pee off the balcony unless you want to get kicked out. It's that simple. Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, per se and your points have merit. It would be fabulous if we could all behave like adults and talk about any subject without getting offended, but it just isn't going to happen. So what are the alternatives for Kevin? Let any conversation go and lose members/revenue? He's too smart to let that happen. So it falls on us to make decisions on what is deemed as political. Talking about a piece of legislation that affects tobacco is fine, just leave the finger-pointing out of it. If you can't do that, don't post.
All this said, I don't want you to think that I'm lambasting you, Charles. I hope you understand that I'm responding to that line of thinking as per the rules Kevin has laid down. I hope I'm clear that in no way am I attacking or chastising you or anyone who feels the same way. This forum's diversity is one of its strengths and it is one of the reasons I continue to stay.
/soapbox
-Jason

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
OK OK, I read the post below over prior to hitting send and want to preface it with the disclaimer, "This is being asked completely without animosity, but as a gentle ribbing. I love Canada and visit up there quite often."
Here goes:
You folks won't be surprised to learn that we don't call what we eat, "Canadian Bacon," we call it pea-meal bacon. It is cured and lightly smoked, rolled in pea-meal and then cut thick. I will spare you guys the details of describing what we call, "American Cheese."
I am not sure if you are being facetious, but based on the number of Candadians crossing the borders into WA and WI and the metric TONS of cheese they buy (and milk, and gas) every weekend, I would be curious to see how disparaging the collective thoughts are on "American Cheese" up in the Great White North.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Oh! And Kudos to you ALL. This is the longest surviving thread with "Politics" in the title that I can remember!!
Thought:
Sooo, what we need to do is videotape our points, upload them to Youtube and post those? That would actually be pretty fun, though it would also eventually devolve into madness. It would be entertaining for while though.
:P

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
My tongue was firmly planted in cheek. As a peace offering I give you one of the single best cross the 49th collaborations out there:
http://youtu.be/2HmLFyvFxTc
-- Pat
PS - I just remembered, we don't call it "American Cheese" ... You guys do.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
image149.jpg
kraft%20cheese%20boxes%203.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You guys are really milking this, and I don't want to get in your whey, so out of common curdesy, I'll cow-tow to your punning that I'm so fondue of.

Status
Not open for further replies.