PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As a henchman, I appreciate those comments. Sometimes, wearing my mod hat, I read a post title and just say to myself "uh-oh". I'll sign onto a thread and perhaps even comment, just to follow along. It's not much fun deleting or closing threads or comments, so us Henchmen appreciate good behavior.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Don't you know? America is only one more regulation away from bliss.
LOL - Nice thought, but ignorance is the one thing that will never be regulated.

Mar 1, 2014
-woodsroad

we will see a prohibition on all tobacco advertising. That alone is going to kill this forum
I think this forum should have a paid membership plan.

It could potentially keep the forum running, and then we could have a "subscriber's only" political section that wouldn't be subject to the same random instigators.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well said, Gigger.
"The bumpkins and philistines who cannot argue without getting personal are always the winners, at least in their own minds. "
It's also a common trick used by those who should know better, but still can not win an argument on merit. Obfuscate, feign offense, call in the moderators, the regulators, the police, a full-scale air attack. We see it here in this thread.
In short, one can not legislate morality. If people are not willing to engage in a civil conversation, then there will be no civil conversation. There is no ground common enough that some asswipe won't drive a wedge in and scream bloody murder. I am beginning to understand (but not condone) why genocide almost always follows revolution.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
An open forum allowing certain discussions in a well regulated area all its own would require a mod 24/7. The mod would have to have the power to unilaterally toss a member who insisted on personalizing an discussion, debate or argument. The mod would have to be unbiased in all subjects and exactingly fair in all decisions.
I doubt Jim Tunney would be willing to come out of retirement for such an undertaking. Nor could he work 24/7. There could not be more than one mod or the ground rules would change whenever the mod changed.
Or, there would be an area open, no moderator, no rules, for all such discussions and let the chips fall where they may. I have a sneaking suspicion that it would be terribly entertaining and, while I wouldn't participate, I'd sure as hell read it religiously, oops. . . ah, every day. Sometimes more than once.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Politics is the concern of the rabble, and is beneath our notice.
I would like our work-a-day hosts to provide a forum in which MENSA-qualifying, highly-educated, well-to-do sophisticates like myself could discuss -- via our transcriptionists, like the one to whom I dictate this brief missive -- the finer points of apex pipes and exclusive tobacco without the smell and noise of the commoners. I would dearly like to pontificate while enjoying a distilled single-malt beverage aged in barrels for some decades, with others of similar mind and means.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Good sir! We also enjoy vintage port. My stocks of the 1863 are an occasional amusement.
The sanctum is well-guarded by privately-retained regulars, so your state of admittance to our little club will not be in doubt.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It's also a common trick used by those who should know better, but still can not win an argument on merit. 1.Obfuscate, 2. feign offense, 3.call in the moderators, 4.the regulators, 5.the police, 6.a full-scale air attack. We see it here in this thread.
For example...
We all can agree on one thing though......... CANADIAN BACON IS JUST HAM!
1. Twat bollocks!

2. You philistine! How dare you demean the noblest of bacon!?! Cut thick, rolled in pea meal, and grilled... GRILLED to perfection.

3. Oh gentle he, Lord Noble, too kind by far to say, must be crushed under the weight of your accusation! Let me hurry hence to call his attention to your prattle.

4. Pray you hear from Moderate souls first, lest your egregious gauntlet be picked up by one Canadian litigator with a 700 pound cellar who could, quite literally put all your favourite etailers out of stock on... Everything.

5. Enough with the casual threats. I demand a retraction! Ham!?! I've called my friend Norm who works for Canada Border Services. He's told both of Canada's other guards about you. You'll never enter, or leave, our beautiful country again.

6. We'll keep our "ham"; our poutine; our beer that tastes like, well, beer; and our socially liberal and economically conservative (relatively) parliamentary democracy to ourselves.

*tinfoilhatmodeoff*
How'd I do? I'm a little out of practice... And also booze. I'm out of booze.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.