PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Unfortunately, the pipe in the top hat city clerks' mouth in the back is supposed to be his cane
I thought that might be a walking stick. I just couldn't figure why someone would have the ground end of a walking stick in their mouth, so my brain saw pipe.
More from the Louvre
Gabriel Metsu – The Tippler – 1650

45968_2763.001.jpg

Jan Steen – Bad Company – 1650

45975_6785.001.jpg

David Teniers II- Interior of a Tavern with smokers – 1670

louvre1.jpg

David Teniers II – Smoker at Table – 1643

louvre3.jpg

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Extra points for lowercase for finding the Latakia Tabac pic, but I'm going to have to deduct points for making me wonder why a clay pipe is reading a book leaning on a skull wearing a hat smoking a clarinet while some rope smokes itself.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I didn't notice the rope burning. It changes the whole focus of the painting for me. The open book appears to be some kind of science comic book, like Archie Physics or something. The devoured book is with the dead guy as is music. I'm really confused. I need a nap.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Here's another Herman Steenwyck called "The Vanities." How the one above is related, I have no clue.
640px-Harmen_Steenwijck_-_Vanitas.JPG

May 31, 2012
Good comments above, made me laugh, but also look closer! :)
Mihailo Petrov

Mihailo%20S.%20Petrov_autoportrait.jpg

Pax Macciu

pax_macciu.jpg

Patrick Caulfield

patrick_caulfield.jpg

Timothy Archer

peinture-C4-2023.JPG

Eric Manoukian

4754257_19052010262.jpg

Gérald Mainier

07-Acrylique_sur_toile-2007-50x50_cm.jpg

Liu Baojun

(detail)

peinture-femme-pipe-a-opium-robe-courte-tableaux-galerie-arts-decoration-auray-golfe-morbihan-bretagne-attention-a-la-peinture-jean-jacques-rio-bouche.jpg

mural in St. Claude

Peintures%20murales%20St-Claude%20Jura%20%2815%29.jpg

http://www.aricia.fr/jura-patrimoine/peintures_murrales.htm
Jacques Azema

azema-jacques-1910-1979-france-le-fumeur-de-pipe-2628207.jpg

Alain Blanchemaison

40621826.jpg

Koulou (?)

cp-le-fumeur-de-pipe-1.jpg

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Those are all amazing finds, misterlowercase.
I think we're being censored. I noticed "Married Life" disappeared. I can only surmise that its subject was a little too risque. Or maybe it's just my browser. Anyone else not getting "Married Life"?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Dammit ed, you made the Steenwyck worse. Now the pipe's hanging with another pipe and has finished reading, the clarinet is some kind of simplified recorder, a candle's doing the smoking, and a shell wandered in from the beach. Agree with one thing though, what that picture needed was more Wakizashis. Bet there's a reason there's no actual tobacco in that guy's paintings.
lowercase is finding some weirdass pictures. I think the Aussie government is requiring that Blanchemaison to be on every tin sold Down Under.
PS I didn't see Married Life, but with my crummy connection, I don't wait for the whole page to load. I'd be surprised if it got censored, when you can go to any major art gallery and see full frontal male nudity.

May 31, 2012
lowercase is finding some weirdass pictures...
:)

...if I'm the minister of anything, it's weirdass shit,

for sure!
I've always had an uncanny knack for digging up oddball stuff,

but it was more fun in the old days whenya actually got dirty down in the trenches out looking for the unusual, now allya gotta do is press a few button 'n it's so easy --- but I ain't complainin' about the infinite digital library, I actually love the vastness of it all.
What about abuncha scary lookin' monkies?

Too big to post here...

https://anchaesmicasa.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/monos-fumadores-y-bebedores1.jpg
Jason Bard Yarmosky

yarmosky-old-woman-bunny-ears-smoke-bubbles-funny-painting-643x647.jpg

Gagik Vardanian

la-pipa-magica.jpg

David Teniers

jordaens-the-king-drinks.jpg

Luis Graner Arrufí

p_subartis863.jpg

Harnett does sublime smoke...

800px-William_Harnett_-_Materials_for_a_Leisure_Hour.jpg

Setsiri Silapasuwanchai

abstract-smoke-running-horse-seisiri-silapasuwanchai.jpg

ClayPipeArcheologist said:

And the clay pipes were small because tobacco was scarce in the "old world." If the average person with the average income came across some tobacco, they could usually just afford a pinch. They'd buy a clay pipe, smoke their pinch, and through the pipe away. Or, in the case of the very long stemmed clays kept at taverns for communal uses, they'd break off a piece of the stem when they were finished to allow the next smoker to have a sanitary smoke.

...I remember seeing somewhere a copper lockbox which contained the tobacco at a tavern/pub and it had a slot for coins...are you familiar with what I'm talking about? What were those called?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Vending machines? Ha, serves you right for your weirdass paintings. You did redeem yourself however, with that Set...er, painting of the smoke.

May 31, 2012
Vending machines? Ha, serves you right for your weirdass paintings
:lol:

Dammit!

You're right,

heh heh

I think they may have been one of the earliest vending machines?

They also called 'em honesty boxes because you'd put your coin in and be expected to take only "one serving" for your pipe...

http://www.crockerfarm.com/antiques-auction/2012-06-09/lot-154/Early-Coin-Operated-Tobacco-Honesty-Box/

Early Coin-Operated Tobacco Honesty Box, English, 19th century, rectangular brass box resting on ball feet with original brass and turned wood handle. After a coin was inserted, the box could be opened to reveal pipe tobacco. Only one helping was allowed per coin, hence the term "honesty box". Primarily used in pubs.

7012369_1_l.jpg

...another smoking monkey,

monkeyvankessel.jpg

a couple of favorite Harnetts yet, because they clearly show early tins of Three Castles - (which is still often found listed as Three Caftles) :)

William%20Michael%20Harnett6.jpg

800px-Harnett_Still_Life_with_Three_Castles.jpg

Big-eyed cuteness from Leighton Jones "the artful dodger"

1343882623583_201207292133521.jpg

An awesome Dutch poster!

1950-75+Pijproken...+mannenwerk!.jpg

big bonus - Kaywoodie love by "mim"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ziCXlG_sjOA/TvO3C2ve0-I/AAAAAAAAJjU/sAdYi1NDqpY/s1600/pipe2.jpeg
:puffy:

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
From the Museum of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg, Florida

John Fredrick Peto - 1880’s – Still Life: Evening at Home

Peto-Still-Life-660x435.jpg

From the Orlando Museum of Art

A William Michael Harnett I don’t think is here yet

59f40ad7f8b75253170a35b00aaba4c5.jpg

misterlowercase, those are some amazing finds.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
That honesty box looks awesome; I'd so pay $230 for that, and I'd fill it with Three Caftles, too. Come to think of it, before they introduced the first row flap thingie, vending machines were also 'honesty boxes'.
Dadgummit ed and archy, now that lowercase has got involved, he's not content with friggin' pipe smoking monkeys, he has to find pipe smoking pipes! Costing me valuable computer game time looking those up. Oh well, Pijproken...mannenwerk! is obviously Dutch for Pipe Smoking...men work! We'll see what archy thinks about that.
PS Sadly, if you go to the 3Castles website, you get this :(
ScreenHunter_57Jul240900_zps20bc8e8e.jpg

May 31, 2012
Great find on the 3Caftles!

...and yes, it is sad. :crying:
Also, I just figured out who Archy is,

duh...

1181360873_1.jpg

Ed,

thanks for bringin' back Married Life!
Smoke-II.jpg

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
It's her own damn fault for making her handle 22 letters and seven syllables long, including a word with aeo in it pronounced 'eee', and making you feel guilty if you actually spell it aeo without using the proper æ ligature.
Wait, I went with simnettpratt. Damn. Still, not 22 letters and seven syllables :P

Mar 31, 2014
Glad I can help you learn how to spell, simonetpraat :mrgreen:
I can't imagine an intentional removal of Married Life. It doesn't show anything; it merely suggests.
Three cheers for Mr. lowercase and his weirdass art! Nice find on the vending machine.
I hope I'm not throwing up any repeats...

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'll have you know I already knew how to spell, young lady, it was making me look up the Alt Code for æ that made you archy. Also, you probably can't misspell simonprat a way I haven't seen, and worse, there's a damn hyphen in it, which means (a) computers can't spell it, (b) that's a damned apostrophe, you moron, and (c) granny was right when she said one day you'll give up and just say pratt.
I like what I believe to be the two German artillerymen on the Eastern Front in WWII. The caps look German, I think that's an unassembled cannon shell and not a small bomb, and the only place you saw mud that bad was Russia. The vehicle they appear to be unloading looks like a German transport too. Those guys did not get a lot of joy in life.
Glad to see the 49er still has enough money to buy some tobacco - he looks pretty poor. Most folks in photos from that period look poor to me, but maybe they were just more concerned with growing the crops, raising the animals and tending the still than getting cash.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
:clap:

Those are all amazing. I'm spending so much time looking over all these new additions that I'm not hunting anymore.

And in honor of getting "Married Life" back I think we should name that first photo of clay's "Married Life at Sea"

Status
Not open for further replies.