decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/club/?slide=3
thoughts?

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
This is awesome! This is exactly what I was imagining when I started this thread.
Now just to convince my girlfriend to gift me a subscription!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Not to rain on the parade, but the Chinese cobs suck eggs. I have never had one last more than a few smokes before burning out in the bottom.
Neat idea though. CI has a cigar of the month club that is similar.
Edit - P&C has updated their website. Much nicer now, imo.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Sounds like the tobacco you'll get is worth more than the subscription cost. I'll have to join in on that.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
The club is way over due but P&C along with Russ is the perfect match to give it a try. This will probably be copied by SP, which is a good thing, though will lack a public/prominent front man. Besides just the discount offers, add one good and unique discount deal for the month, this would really up the value and a carrot for joining. Something from $.50 - $2.00 off a tin, a percentage off orders or free shipping on a sliding scale, basically add a lottery surprise. Doesn't have to be huge, just giving the package a unique, random and exciting experience.
Here are some of the problems at first glance.
1) NO discount for buying more than one month. This will probably change, at least drop the shipping at a 6 month purchase.
2) A pre-shipping newsletter should list products and allow the right for refusal. Listing a couple alternate products would be a more attractive package.
3) The cob is a throw away and the value - try a tobacco without ghosting a nice pipe. I'm sure a deal could have been cut for a real cob, or add in a few basket pipes given out randomly.
4) Obviously these will be lower end blends and mostly aromatics. The good news is they'll probably be Sutliff because of Russ's relationship.
I'll probably end up joining out of my history with P&C, and especially to Russ. He'll probably chime in as one of the few blenders that embrace social media. Though this site has had it's hostel moments with P&C, there's usually a caveat in regards to Russ. I hope he has control of this "experiment" and not just CI putting his name on it.
The new site is just integrating the CI shopping cart software, but it does get them away from the limited/buggy Yahoo cart and I think allows for real time stock. I liked the old site and it's navigation, but will have to get used to the new site. There's a lot more work to be done on it, especially graphics. It's a shame all the reviews are lost, but that's something some man hours could fix.
Craig

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
It's a really good idea for pipers in need of new blends to try, right now I know exactly what I love and am stocked up.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
This is modeled after CI's program. You only pay shipping on the first month, after that is free. Like their cigar of the month club, you have no idea what you were getting though when I was a member, it generally contained good cigars so I am hopeful this will me more than cheap aromatics.
Totally agree about the cob. It would have been nice if they struck a deal with MM for a better cob. Doesn't need to be anything fancy but anything is a step up from the Chinese cobs.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I like the idea of the club. I'll probably drag my feet and see what others are getting before I decide on giving it a shot or not. I do wish there was an option such as opting out of aromatics.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I would be inclined to give it a try.
I have easily wasted more money on tinned tobacco that forum members have raved about "Only to get burnt". (Tip of the hat to Kevin's masterful radio spot for Sutliff. Love that guy's voice by the way.)
If the cob pipe is the same ones I get with Russ' Blend of the month, it will just end up in the same place.
Thank You Pipes & Cigars for offering this pipe tobacco of the month service!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
One suggestion for Russ, modeled after wine clubs: it would be great to have more than a one-size-fits-all approach. Example, opting out of aromatics, as suggested above. But even better, the customer listing ether preferences. Perhaps the customer could choose their preferred styles (ex. VaPer and VA, or English and VA, etc) as well as the styles they don't care for (aromatic or whatever).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I like the process of studying the possibilities and shopping for what I want to try next,

and zeroing in on certain areas, etc. I think I might feel like the samples were coming down a

conveyer at me. I'm afraid I would accumulate a lot I hadn't tried or didn't like. But that's just a

personality thing, I suppose. This could be good for new pipe smokers who are trying to get a range

on what they like. It's a key that the customer be able to turn it on and off, so if they were "sampled-out,"

they could quit. For people who want a little more control, ordering sample packs gives variety without

the subscription concept.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
This is, obviously, a new concept. We can certainly look into modifications as we go along. As far as the cobs go, we had made a large purchase of them early in CI's entry into the pipe world. As we burn through the inventory, we will look at other options. This, along with the relaunch of the website, has been a load of work for a small, but very dedicated staff. We will be bringing a lot of new and interesting products and concepts to you in the near future. One has already shown up- we have some gorgeous pipes to go along with the reintroduction of Crown Achievement- a series also called Crown Achievement. This year will be a fun and exciting one for us, and hopefully, all of you.
Russ

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Love the idea, great price point for what you get. :)
That being said, a smaller version with one tin & one or two oz of bulk would suit my pipe smoking better as far as an open membership goes. I have a lot of regulars that I'm not willing to put aside. There is room for more, just not as much as the regular membership offers.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like the idea... The price is right for 2 tins, a pouch and 2 ounces of bulk. I just can't think of that many pouches they offer that I enjoy, but I can alway pawn that off on a friend.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
It would be cool if they had an option to get the tobacco and not the pipes as I really don't want cobs of any kind, especially Chinese ones.
I also think it would be a good idea of you could select groups like Aromatic, English, Virginia. Where your tobacco is based on your likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.