PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Hello all, this may have been an idea already suggested and put aside but in the five or six months I have been a member I have not seen it suggested so here goes: would anyone be interested in having a monthly tradition/forum topic dedicated to a particular rotating blend. Think of it like a book club. At the beginning of each month we could vote between a few recommendations and come up with a blend to try the following month. We would all order the blend then smoke/discuss it in the next month.
Now, I know we all have our own favorites but here are my thoughts on the benefits:
First, this is a good way to try new blends and find out what we like with blends outside our own norms.
Second, we have all seen the impact this community can have on a favorite or new blend (e.g. FM Cellar, Edward G. Robinson, etc.).
Third, there is very little commitment so if you "hate" a blend or style one month you do not have to participate every month.
Finally, this is a great way to feed the TAD each month.
I would see the schedule as follows: The first of the month someone will nominate a few blends to try (this can rotate month to month). All of us will then vote on which blend we would like to try out of the suggested few. Whichever blend gets the most vote by the 14th of that month will be the "Tobacco of [insert name of Following Month]". We all order that tobacco after it is decided and observe the power of our community. On the first of the following month we all pop our new tins, smoke said tobacco, and discuss our opinions.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Sounds like great idea, especially the group buy discount. Something simmilar was done over at the Ministry of Rum Forums. Hell, this may even get me to like Latakia.

Aug 14, 2012
Not really interested. I have already decided which tobaccos I like. Most blends are so bad, I am not much interested in experimenting any more.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I had a feeling there would be some sentiments similar to Foggy's and I fully respect them. After all, some of you have been pipe-masters for longer than I have been alive. My thoughts are that there are a number of newer smokers, like myself, who could use some inspiration to try new things.
I was thinking about starting this months voting with one of the Sutliff Latakia blends. No. 5 has come up a lot lately. Berkshire also sounds very good.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I just found a great english sampler at cigarsinternational where you get 5 sutliff english tins for 22.50 and can get free shipping! I definitely suggest that we chose one of those for our first month. Plus its nice to support Sutliff with their support for the podcast.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
My friend Linda said that book clubs have everything to do with drinking wine, talking about the girls that aren't there, and nothing to do with reading.
I can just see the look on my wife's face when I tell her that I'm going over to JimBob's cabin and meet up with the guys from the lumber mill for a Friday night book club.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
I may be intersted.. I am still in the trying out new blends, to see what i like "phase".. Have yet to try any Sutcliff also..

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I was once a member of Columbia Record Club. It was a mistake. There you could chose a genre. With tobacco that'd be hard and to satisfying to all the varied tastes involved. Just take the Virginia group, the range there is massive. Tastes are so varied I fear it'd fail.
If you want help in experimenting Smokingpipes. pipesandcigars, Iwan Ries and others offer sampler packs. Not quite the same idea but it does lower the postage. ;)

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Hi and sorry all I did not realize there was any interest in this beyond my own. I would still like to do it. I have been eyeing a tin of sutliff no 5 in my cellar for a few weeks now if anyone else would like to start there. I'm also planning on opening my mcclelland Christmas 2013 after thanksgiving.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@jkenp For some who just want to sample - it would be very beneficial to get something new. I was part of a wine club where every month I got a new bottle of wine - was awesome, plus it built up my wine cellar and I got to learn what I really liked. Sure it wouldn't be a great solution for those of you who already really know what they like, but for those of us who have varying tastes it would be fine.
I'll also point out that CigarDave has his own cigar club and every month he sends out cigars to his "lieutenants".

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I almost wonder if this is the type of thing one of our sponsors could organize? Like a Fruit of the Month club and then we discuss it here like a Book Club.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Maybe it could be set up so that one member would pick out a tin and send a couple bowls worth to each of the other members each month?

I would be all in. Just get a list of members and keep it small at first and see how it pans out the first few months. I would be willing to help out if needed.

Just PM me

Status
Not open for further replies.