Pipes and Artisans of Eastern Europe: Undervalued and Underappreciated?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I see a still evolving emphasis on shape that is already evolved now. The first 3 pipers shown in the link feature slight oddities in the bowl in terms of tilt, undercutting, etc. The 4th "Fish In Batter" I don't care for, but this is only the case with this pipe. I would like it better did it not scallop the midline, which embellishment I've never liked.

His skill at 100 pipes is striking. I want to see his work when he's at 500 or 1000.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are many great carvers around the world. It is very hard to get respect out of your own region. Just ask the American carvers.
Are you saying that American carvers don't respect each other's work, and that this is the same in British carvers,
etc .?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From the posts and accompanying photos on this thread, there seems to be a solid core of serious pipe people who appreciate the Eastern European artisanal pipe carvers. Build your collections before the pipes become coveted and everything costs a cool grand. Gorgeous pipes, with a strong sense of contemporary design, truly impressive.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
My problem with carvers is the attitude that if it looks like an off the shelf straight billiard it's no good, doesn't make them stand out, so they never make simple classic shapes. I find most carvers' designs too exaggerated for my tastes. What I am saying is I am looking for a beautiful pipe, not a modern art sculpture. Not commenting on the quality of the workmanship of course, as the pipes linked here look extremely well-made, but I'd still not have any of them based on looks.

The Alaska series from @alaskanpiper is a bright example of classic shapes with enough variety and interesting details that manages to look both classic as well as modern.

Still, I'll check out these names when I get a chance :)

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have half a dozen Cermak pipes. Great guy, met him at the Chicago show twice. Very conscientious about his workmanship and does great work. Quite creative. Prices are more than reasonable.

View attachment 45893

View attachment 45894

View attachment 45895

View attachment 45898

View attachment 45899

View attachment 45900
Wow, those are great looking blasts. I love sandblast over all other styles and the ring grain on that poker is tremendous ...beautiful pipes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unique and distinctive design and striking craftsmanship sometimes do upstage the simple joy of smoking a pipe. They almost imply an audience for our smoking that does not exist. Who's admiring this art work while we are smoking it? You kind of feel like you should smoke looking in the mirror. I'm always surprised when I catch a glimpse of myself smoking even a traditional pipe. Who's that?

Reactions: JOHN72

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Since my last post on this thread, I have bought 12 pipes from Jack Howell. He began carving again after a long layoff as his real job is as a clarinet player for the Pittsburg Philharmonic Orchestra. Since Covid came he had to go back to his second job which is pipe making. I had been looking for a pipe from him for years but never had a chance to buy one. I wasted no time in buying from him as all the pipes I bought were commissions. I have plans for maybe a few more if it it is possible. His pipes are my kind of pipes. Classic shapes like Billiards, Dublins, Apples, Brandy's, Paneled Billiards. They all smoke amazingly well and I am having fun redoing my collection. I also really enjoy buying from our guys and his shaping is just how I like my pipes to be.

These are just a few.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
My friend just scored this Mikhail Garmash pipe a month or so ago and its a beautiful pipe. Some great pieces are coming from the Eastern block these days.

Reactions: JOHN72 and shanez

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Martin Cermak from the Czech Republic is doing amazing work. I have the smooth below:
iu
I second Martin Cermak.

AB73A16C-BE84-439D-B519-3380D3223AC0.jpeg