Pipes and Artisans of Eastern Europe: Undervalued and Underappreciated?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I feel that the pipes made in eastern European countries are fine examples of pipe making. I don't go for the artistic style of most artisanal pipes, but they are indeed great to look at. I'm more of a low grade traditional pipe smoker, even though I do have some high grade pipes. Many folks find pipes made by Mr. Brog and Golden Gate to be fine smokers too, and having owned a couple from both of them I can attest to their smoke ability. Works of art? No, beautifully made? Not always, but usually not total crap either. Below is a pipe I bought from the Polish pipe maker Worobiec, and a pipe from Golden Gate pipes made in Ukraine. Most of these pipes are usually under $100, but they are made well and smoke great. Hope this isn't too much of a wet blanket on a thread celebrating beautiful artisanal pipes, but someone has to speak up for the little guys too sometimes.

fullsizeoutput_29c0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_29c1.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
High-art pipes are like ultra high fashion clothes. I couldn't/wouldn't wear the clothes, and I wouldn't smoke the pipes if I owned them, or not much. Maybe it is a mindset you cultivate over time.

Reactions: tobefrank
I feel that the pipes made in eastern European countries are fine examples of pipe making. I don't go for the artistic style of most artisanal pipes, but they are indeed great to look at. I'm more of a low grade traditional pipe smoker, even though I do have some high grade pipes. Many folks find pipes made by Mr. Brog and Golden Gate to be fine smokers too, and having owned a couple from both of them I can attest to their smoke ability. Works of art? No, beautifully made? Not always, but usually not total crap either. Below is a pipe I bought from the Polish pipe maker Worobiec, and a pipe from Golden Gate pipes made in Ukraine. Most of these pipes are usually under $100, but they are made well and smoke great. Hope this isn't too much of a wet blanket on a thread celebrating beautiful artisanal pipes, but someone has to speak up for the little guys too sometimes.

View attachment 46050
View attachment 46051
On the contrary. Both of these are excellent examples of what I was trying to convey.

I suspect that a lot of these pipe-makers do signature unique pieces in an attempt to stand out from the crowd and that is what we mostly see but a lot of them also offer high quality traditional pipes as well.

I have a Boyadjiev Billiard that I would put up against my Signature (UN) S. Bang billiard any day. It would end in a tie for form and function to most of you that could see beyond the nomenclature.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have watched pipes from that part of the world for years. There is nothing wrong with their pricing. I personally am not a fan of most of their shaping. They are just to weird for me , I am a fan of traditional shaped pipes. I don't see many Billiards or Dublins or Apples. I find that the carvers are trying to out do each other with weird shapes.

I also have no desire to order a pipe from the Ukraine and then have to wait 4-8 weeks to get it. I want me new pipe in my greedy paws in 3-4 days, I can't help it. Also I have nothing against Ukraine as that is where some of my people came when they were running for their lives. I also have a thing about supporting the US makers or as I call them our guys. I know I am a total homer but sue me I can't help it. I spent years and money on pipes from all over the world and none smoke as good or better then my home grown carvers.

I have watched pipes from that part of the world for years. There is nothing wrong with their pricing. I personally am not a fan of most of their shaping. They are just to weird for me , I am a fan of traditional shaped pipes. I don't see many Billiards or Dublins or Apples. I find that the carvers are trying to out do each other with weird shapes.

I also have no desire to order a pipe from the Ukraine and then have to wait 4-8 weeks to get it. I want me new pipe in my greedy paws in 3-4 days, I can't help it. Also I have nothing against Ukraine as that is where some of my people came when they were running for their lives. I also have a thing about supporting the US makers or as I call them our guys. I know I am a total homer but sue me I can't help it. I spent years and money on pipes from all over the world and none smoke as good or better then my home grown carvers.

I totally agree.

Don't ever commission a pipe then.... :) I have 2 in the works and hoping to get 1 by the middle of November and the other hopefully by the end of the year! And these are USA Artists!

Both of these will be worth the wait and well loved... puffy

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I just bought this bent billiard from Andrey Kharitonov, a new carver from Russia. It’s the 96th pipe he has ever made.

Here is some info about him and a few of his pipes. LINK

View attachment 88723

View attachment 88724
I was actually typing out a post on that forum to say I was sending him a PM to buy this one when I saw yours get posted. I already have a squat tomato of his and it's fantastic, but this one really spoke to me. I'm a little relieved you saved me the $200, honestly, and I hope you enjoy the hell out of this one. It's just beautiful.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have half a dozen Cermak pipes. Great guy, met him at the Chicago show twice. Very conscientious about his workmanship and does great work. Quite creative. Prices are more than reasonable.

View attachment 45893

View attachment 45894

View attachment 45895

View attachment 45898

View attachment 45899

View attachment 45900
Hoosier, I don't think there are many pipe avenues that you've haven't explored. For example Jack Howell in the US and Cermak in Prague half a world away. You're awesome!