Pipes and Artisans of Eastern Europe: Undervalued and Underappreciated?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

So I have been perusing the interwebs, looking at pipes and I often find myself drawn to some of the beautiful pipes that are coming out of Eastern Europe/Former Soviet Block. In fact, I have purchased a couple from various artisans and I have to say that the quality and craftsmanship that have gone into the examples in my possession is astounding!

When paired up, side by side to some of the famous and lauded artisans of Italy, Denmark and the United States in my collection, it is my opinion they are as good as any on the market. Why is it we rarely hear about these guys (gals)? These pipes are such a bargain in comparison. A comparable Boyadjiev (Bulgaria) will cost you 1/10th the price of a S. Bang. Others like Andrey Cherepanov (Russia) and Andrzej Piontek (Poland) do amazing work and deserve checking out.

Have you purchased any pipes from this region of the world? If you have, put up a pic and tell us why you made the purchase as well as your thoughts about quality, function and workmanship.

There are too many to name, but below are just a few examples for your viewing pleasure:

Boyadjiev
Boyadjiev.jpg

Chereponov
Cherapanov.jpg

Piontek
Piontek.jpg

Really, every product from that side of the Iron Curtain is always cheap and not taken very seriously. I think it comes from their old Soviet work philosophy, which left a lot to be desired. And, if this has changed, they just don't know how to market it. It may take a while for the rest of the world to find quality in this part of the world's products. Things that go on unseen in American products just doesn't exist yet, as far as I've seen, in that part of the world; design, marketing, distribution, etc... the forces that make McDonalds seem like it is somewhat "good." Ha ha.
Plus, most of those countries are still living under a lot of oppression.

Someone needs to drag that Putin out of there and get someone who lets up on the boot off the neck of that entire region, IMO.

We gave the Yugo a shot... but...

I'm sure that there is some quality there among the pipemakers, and some value... but, their work just needs to run the gauntlet of the market.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Martin Cermak from the Czech Republic is doing amazing work. I have the smooth below:
iu

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe the inexpensive factory pipes that have been stamped with some of the Eastern European countries have given a bad impression. Some of the artisan pipes are beautiful, indeed, but that is a relatively small sector of the market. I've seen some basket pipes with the nation stamp melted sloppily into the stem and crude rustication that are not an advertisement for that nation as a pipe maker. I won't name any particular country. It's a product that they can dash out cheaply.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At one point I was devoted to buying pipes representing different nations, taking the nation of origin stamps at face value, until some wiser heads on Forums pointed out that all those stamps mean are a possible clue as to the last stop in the manufacturing chain. The same way the various parts of cars come from all over the world, not the nation of origin of the particular brand. I don't think any Buicks are assembled in the U.S. today at all; correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
20201008_202604.jpg

A well carved, great smoking A. Cherepanov blowfish that cost me less than many mid-line factory pipes. Good and mediocre makers all over the map, but in general (Shanez shares a great list above I won't needlessly repeat) you'll find skilled carvers at very, very good prices compared to mainline NA/Western European counterparts.

If you are smoker looking to dip your toes into the artisan market at an approachable price ($200-$300).... go with Shanez's list. Blueroom Briars, a great sponsor and operation, has some nice looking Cherepanovs for like $250 +/- right now.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I think Cosmic has some of it right from the North American perspective. There's not much marketing toward the North American market, from what I can see. It's not very surprising though. Most people who I meet that are not from North America (the majority of my friends) pay little attention to North American products where they are. There's not much reason to.

I would be interested to know if Russian carvers are even targeting the North American market. It may not be on their radar. Europe is a pretty big place and I would guess that the market is much bigger there than in the United States.

I've been in tobacco stores that sell pipes in a number of European countries with walls of pipes from carvers nobody has ever heard of in North America.

You could ask a similar question about Chinese carvers. Some of them do amazing work. Not a lot of that work seems to reach the North American market.

They may just not care.

I suspect there is some bias in North America toward countries like this. You can find very high quality things almost anywhere in the world if you're willing to pay for it. The Chinese are probably pissing themselves laughing at all of the junk Americans are willing to purchase from them. I'm pretty sure they know it is crap where they live, and I'm guessing the people with means to do so buy things of higher quality, rather than the export "crap".

You can see this in liquor, for example. I can go down to the local liquor store and buy a bottle of cachaça all the way from Brasil! Problem is... anyone with any sense at all in Brasil knows that only alcoholics and homeless people buy that shit (the brand being sold) in Brasil. But in Canada, you will pay the same price for a great bottle of whiskey and think you are getting something authentic and of quality.

The local markets may be doing fine for some of these carvers and I'm not sure they see the need to be noticed in North American markets.

Or maybe they do. Who knows. I just doubt it is all.